rails of sheffield

david heath

Driving me up the wall, Rails-of-Sheffield.

I've lost count of the times I've contacted them on ebay to let them know they've ONCE AGAIN flooded the O-Gauge pages with OO gauge stuff.

There again tonight.........

Hi Jeff,

I have taken a quick look at this but am struggling to find any items in the wrong categories. Can you give an example??

Thanks

Oliver

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the link although I am confused as that states OO in title, its in the OO locomotive ebay category and it is on our own OO gauge ebay shop category which is all correct.

Oliver

Anyone else find Rails current web-site a right PITA to navigate/search etc, often everything but what one's looking for comes up !  their old site worked far better, why fix/change what wasn't broken  ? 

Yes its a right pain but I [ foolishly ] thought that once I had "personalised" it everything would be fine.....................wrong!!

Anyone else find Rails current web-site a right PITA to navigate/search etc, often everything but what one's looking for comes up !  their old site worked far better, why fix/change what wasn't broken  ? 

Yes its a right pain but I [ foolishly ] thought that once I had "personalised" it everything would be fine.....................wrong!!

Hi, We are working closely with our web team to resolve and improve the current search. You should see some improvements soon. 

Your feedback is always appreciated

Oliver @ Rails

• Like 1

Can I just wholeheartedly recommend Rails of Sheffield to all fellow Forum members.  In particular their fantastic Customer Service, where they've absolutely gone above and beyond many other companies I've ever dealt with.

I've recently had a complete disaster with a brand new Hornby Class 08 shunter that I bought from them.  The model arrived by post and I was so very careful in its handling.  These models are superbly detailed, but are so very difficult to handle without damaging them.

Trying to get the model out of the box was the first challenge, despite the newer style packaging! Then the supposed simple removal of a couple of plastic tanks and some screws to open the body shell to fit a decoder, was anything but.

I've fitted a decoder to a Class 09 before, which was fiddly, but this was ridiculous.  It was as though the shell and chassis had been literally glued or sandwiched together.  Three hours spent with no movement!

It literally broke in the process of trying to remove the bodyshell from the chassis, despite only using proper slim plastic pry tools.  Eventually, I was left with a broken coupling rod and bent wheel contacts.  The yellow coupling rods are also not available for some reason to buy as a part either.  I was ready to give in and bin the loco and just forget the whole experience.

After a telephone call with them, my thanks go to Adam in the shop (who suggested returning the model for investigation).  Adam suggested something didn't seem right if the model had been so difficult to open.  Back the loco went by post to Rails. 

Rails have helped me out all the way, eventually replacing my shunter with an identical brand new one (fitted with a decoder as well).  I would also recommend the Rails DCC fitting service and would say to anyone wanting to get a Hornby Class 08 apart (for decoder fitting anyway), to spend the extra money and use their fitting service as well!

Thanks also to Ben, who dealt with the paperwork and shipment very promptly.

Previous purchases, have been delivered quicker than others and their prices are very good.  I for one, will be continuing to use Rails as my first choice when I need any more model railway kit.

Cheers Rails of Sheffield  :good:

Edited by rencar12
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I agree that Rails provide excellent customer service... but also agree that their new website is a pain to search.

I think the search criteria needs tweaking.  If I put in "Class 37" for example, I get over 2,000 'hits' including everything that has the word 'class' and the number '37', plus a load of other stuff that I have no idea why its included.  It has improved in that a number of class 37's appear early on the listing, but without searching through over 2000 items I don't know if they are the only ones.  To have every Bachmann wagon also included with '37' in its catalogue number is well out of order.

Why can't the search function simply pick out the stuff that has both 'class' and '37' in it, and filter out everything else?  This would make life so much easier...

Phil

I'd like to add that Rails provides superb delivery to the US.  I ordered 25 yards of flexitrack, some turnouts, and a few other items.  The order was very securely packaged with plenty of bubble wrap and arrived in perfect condition 10 days after it was shipped.

I ordered something from them like very late on a Saturday night and they didnt post it like until Tuesday, I mean that is like two whole working days, like what is wrong with these people dont they realise I need them delivering like 08:00 on Monday morning, my whole world nearly fell in while I waited with eager anticipation, God knows what I will do in future!  :jester:

Meanwhile in the real world, another smooth transaction with Rails, although I do agree their website search facility is woeful, as you add more 'restrictions' it actually increases the 'finds' instead of decreasing them.

The number of times I have ordered something and then managed to find some other items I would like despite the search facility is countless. 

• Like 1

I ordered something from them like very late on a Saturday night and they didnt post it like until Tuesday, I mean that is like two whole working days, like what is wrong with these people dont they realise I need them delivering like 08:00 on Monday morning, my whole world nearly fell in while I waited with eager anticipation, God knows what I will do in future!  :jester:

Meanwhile in the real world, another smooth transaction with Rails, although I do agree their website search facility is woeful, as you add more 'restrictions' it actually increases the 'finds' instead of decreasing them.

The number of times I have ordered something and then managed to find some other items I would like despite the search facility is countless. 

This made me chuckle - i had the same thing.  I typed in "Class 37" and my search returned something like 400 hits.  So I typed in "Bachmann class 37 colas" and it went up to 1000.  Nevermind.  Worse things happen.  

I agree on the customer service - second to none.  SO easy to deal with!  Cheers guys.

I'm more than willing to put up with a less than "user friendly" website if it means dealing with an above board entity.  I'm sure that the problems with the website are just as frustrating to the Rails folks as it is to us.  I'm happy to let them continue to work on it . .  I'm sure it will get fixed.

I have got to add my appreciation of Rails.

I placed an order with a well known Widnes railway retailer for one of their commissions and was told they did not send e-mail confirmations of orders.

Half an hour later I placed a normal order with Rails and as I am talking to the guy on the phone, "ping", there is the e-mail confirmation. One shop cannot be bothered and the other one can. That's why most of my pocket money is going to Sheffield. And of course Rails are usually cheaper.

Got to agree about their website though - must be one of the most user-unfriendly I have ever come across.

Our new emporium showroom is almost there! Just adding the finishing touches and then of cause we have the big task of merchandising the 40+ cabinets!

Once open customers visiting will experience a shop like no other! Huge selections of collectables, pre-owned and unique products will be on offer, from Z to 5inch Gauge, Railwayana and more.

See the models in action before you buy on one of two running test tracks. 

There are even seats and a coffee machine for you to sit back and take it all in! 

Plus don't forget right next door is our existing shop showcasing everything new.

Take a look at a few sample shots:

post-31247-0-19536300-1517907150_thumb.jpg

post-31247-0-63075600-1517907397_thumb.jpg

post-31247-0-79450400-1517907412_thumb.jpg

post-31247-0-27789900-1517907424_thumb.jpg

post-31247-0-71177100-1517907437_thumb.jpg

post-31247-0-06345500-1517907502_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oliver Rails
  • Like 9

Our new emporium showroom is almost there! Just adding the finishing touches and then of cause we have the big task of merchandising the 40+ cabinets!

Once open customers visiting will experience a shop like no other! Huge selections of collectables, pre-owned and unique products will be on offer, from Z to 5inch Gauge, Railwayana and more.

See the models in action before you buy on one of two running test tracks. 

There are even seats and a coffee machine for you to sit back and take it all in! 

Plus don't forget right next door is our existing shop showcasing everything new.

Take a look at a few sample shots:

attachicon.gifIMG_8446.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2394 2.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4886 2.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5477 2.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_9766.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7061 2.jpg

Hi Oliver, might be wrong but the clock seems to be covering your alarm sensor. Other than that looks brilliant. Good luck.

Edited by Widnes Model Centre

I placed an order with a well known Widnes railway retailer for one of their commissions and was told they did not send e-mail confirmations of orders.

Not so. Hattons issue email confirmations for order placed, order processed and order despatched.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Oliver, might be wrong but the clock seems to be covering your alarm sensor. Other than that looks brilliant. Good luck.

At least it provides somewhere for the spiders to hide during the day, then come out at night and set the alarms off!

• RMweb Premium

Very impressed as always. I ordered 66711 and 66779, delivered the next day. 66779 is a brilliant loco, 66711 unfortunately had a broken front end railing. Quick message and it’s being exchanged, Rails even covering return postage. Just another example of good customer service.

May have to give them a call tomorrow and get maritime one brought.

If  a  damaged  or faulty  item is  received  then  retailers in  the  main will refund   the  purchasers  return  shipping  costs,  most  without  having to be  asked  to  do so,  although it  is  always  good  practice  to  remind  them  when arranging to return

Hi Guys

I have ordered the Bachmann birdcage coaches at 12:30 today and expected them to be posted today as that's what other company's do post same day before one hopefully it will be sent out tommorow.

Thanks

Alan

We got a guy ordered a Sound decoder on a Thursday at 10.31pm Special Delivery, we were at a show on Friday, Saturday & Sunday. We were home Sunday at 10.40PM and the following morning, Monday I had a lie in!! The Mid afternoon started doing orders, the item had to have the sound file dowloaded and was done by 4.00pm. It was sent Tuesday lunchtime for Wednesday.  

The phone call was 'Why did I not get it Monday as I paid for Special Delivery'  I explained the above but 'This Excuse' was not accepted.

Sad really as we are not 'Supermen' We call it the Amazon Effect!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie  (Legomanbiffo & Gang)   PPS We do our best, Honest.

• Like 1