Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Hornby catalogue influence

Id like to know who here was influcenced by the layout pictures in the Hornby catalogues of yesteryear.

I always thought the blurred night and action pictures in the late 80s early 90s catalogues looked fantastic.

and every building and accessory in the background was standard out the box Hornby.

I loved them so much to the extent I wanted my home layout to look just like the pictures in the Hornby catalogues and not the realistic layouts I want nowadays.

and do you think they have given bad advice over the years, such as the recomendation of putting ballast down before track and suchlike?

I remember one of the Triang Hornby Catalogues from the mid 60's when they were promoting The AL1 ( later Class 81) and Inter- city MK11a coaches. In the background of one of the catalogue photo montages was an AM!0 (later Class 310) EMU which I hoped Triang - Hornby would produce - I am still waiting!:laugh:

Xerces Fobe

I too was inspired by the pictures in the Hornby mags of the 90’s wanting my layout to look the same. Did anybody ells go thought the magazines with a pencil and put a tick next to everything that you wanted or was that just me?

When I look back now I smile as my current layout looks nothing like those ones.

The 1978 and 1979 catalogues stick in my mind - lots of shadows. darkness and pockets of light - very film noire...in a colourful sort of way...

Bags of shots of the new Class 29 model which I immediately fell in love with (green syp for me!) - such disappointment a few years down the line when I discovered it was a bit of a dogs dinner hybrid. I remember one shot in the 79 edition of those sad eyes peeking out of the darkness, a train of Arnolds Sands PO wagons in tow, one having shed its load and being re-railed by the bright red brakedown crane. Mad as a box of frogs, but wot nostalgia! I'm off to dig those out now.

I definitely have been influenced by the Hornby catalogue - part of me still wants to go back and finish the 1993 catalogue layout just cause I liked it so much!

I've even considered doing the ballast in that classic cataloge style on my new layout, that way I'd be able to reuse the track again. Still unsure though....

I used to spend hours looking through the Hornby catalogues, especially the 1997 one - I wanted everything in it!

When Skaledale was introduced, the dioramas on the title pages for each section used to really make me think I was about to attempt to finally make the dive into scenic modelling... it never happened, but they were great inspiration.

I liked the cover art work of the 1981 "Ticket to ride" 27th edition catalogue. This was the year with a 4-4-0 for every big four company.

The idea of building a layout that looks just like the ones in the catalogue is still prevalent today. With the trackmats that Hornby provides, there are a number of youngsters who seem very keen to follow this 'paint by numbers' approach. If they have the funds or a sufficiently large number of relatives to supply birthday presents, there's nothing wrong with this approach. Pre-defined trackplans have a ready appeal for the inexperienced.

As a youngster I enjoyed the potted histories of the railway companies in the catalogue. In the days before the internet, this was essential background to understand why there were different liveries and what they meant. Today's new modellers have to research this information themselves - it's not in the catalogue.

Other things that were better done in the old catalogues:

• Explaining how the standard track geometry worked - illustrations of curved points transitioning from 2nd to 3rd radius*, etc
  • Recommending matches between rolling stock and locomotives - these days recommendations for matching in the Hornby catalogue are very error-prone.
  • Updating track plans to match track being offered - I don't think I've even seen an official track plan from Hornby with any 4th radius curves and while I haven't checked lately I imagine their plans still feature a lot of 1st radius - which is incompatible with much of their product range these days*

* Not that I would wish standard geometries on anyone, but for a young modeller they do help avoid interference on curves

was a time when we had all these boxes up in the loft :)

my dad loved his zero 1, I didnt really, was always shorting out on points :)

I wanted to have all the coloured point switch levers.

and the turntable with the water colum that used to spin round!

479_l.jpg

there was a nice pic on the back of the Hornby class 110 box, reason I remember them so well is when I used to draw as a kid id copy the pictures,

I liked the cover art work of the 1981 "Ticket to ride" 27th edition catalogue. This was the year with a 4-4-0 for every big four company.

Yes yes yes!!! :yahoo: The 1981 Catalogue was quite iconic - it had a lot of "pencil sketch style" illustrations IIRC, and it was the year Hornby released the Class 86!! With Lima offering the Class 87, it was wonderful that the Manufacturers had avoided duplicating Classes for once - there had been a lot of duplication at the time, Lima & Mainline Warships, Lima & Hornby Westerns, 47 and HST... in those days Lima diesels tended to look better than Hornby, but the Mainline Warship was a cut above all of them.

Re Photos, Hornby also ran at that time adverts in RM where the model was superimposed on a real photo; the one I drooled over was of the Class 86, although it was spoiled with the stone-age Hornby Class 08 in the background!! When I found out about OO track being narrow gauge, I used to wonder how they'd managed to make it look like all the model's wheels were on the rails...?!?! :unsure: :blink:

I 'grew out' of Hornby catalogues not long after that; if I looked at a current one now I would probably just shake my head in despair... :rolleyes:

1980 was my favourite, the year of the APT!

The huge layout, which was really just a looped over double circuit with added terminus station.

Their layouts always looked busy, with lots of trains, even on the same circuit.

And slightly O/T, but who remembers the TV adverts?. 2 stick in my mind. The one where Bernard Cribbins managed to push a car off the level crossing before it was hit by a 37. And the one with the expanding layout, which featured the tune "nothing goes like it, nothing grows like it. Hornby!"

Andy

• RMweb Gold

And slightly O/T, but who remembers the TV adverts?. 2 stick in my mind. The one where Bernard Cribbins managed to push a car off the level crossing before it was hit by a 37. And the one with the expanding layout, which featured the tune "nothing goes like it, nothing grows like it. Hornby!"

Andy

Here you go, lots of them on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x4rNunx4iI

Archived