Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Hornby catalogue influence

(Re "Signal Box / Yellow Pages Advert")

reminds me of me ringing up Hattons, then back home to my dads layout in the loft.

I always hated that advert - I thought it was a bit of a p!$$-take... everyone assumes the boy is buying the item for himself; turns out it's his dad who "plays trains" - just standing in the middle of a layout full of unrealistic trains whizzing around non-stop... :rolleyes: :angry:

Nothing like a good Stereotype, is there..?? :pleasantry: :bad:

I always hated that advert - I thought it was a bit of a p!$$-take... everyone assumes the boy is buying the item for himself; turns out it's his dad who "plays trains" - just standing in the middle of a layout full of unrealistic trains whizzing around non-stop... :rolleyes: :angry:

Nothing like a good Stereotype, is there..?? :pleasantry: :bad:

Well if Hattons best sellers list is anything to go by, thats what 90% of RM's do!

And as for the stereotype, he is married, with at least one child, in what for the time looks to be a nice place (ok tank tops were in fashion!). So he is obviously reasonably successful, doesn't live with mother, has a sex life and can hold down a job!

Now if we are talking RM stereotypes...............................laugh1.gif

• RMweb Premium

Always wondered about that Yellow Pages advert where was it filmed? The model shop looks genuine to me. The trouble with that advert was that every time I saw it I could not get out of my head that the chap playing the dad was in my day famous for being 'Mr Bennet' the caretaker on 'Take Hart'.

Oh dear, all that has made me feel very old.

Guest 34008Padstow

And slightly O/T, but who remembers the TV adverts?. 2 stick in my mind. The one where Bernard Cribbins managed to push a car off the level crossing before it was hit by a 37. And the one with the expanding layout, which featured the tune "nothing goes like it, nothing grows like it. Hornby!"

Andy

Andy. By any chace do you mean this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjyRkK51sTs

Oh dear, I suppose what I am about to say will sound quite snobbish. You see those pictures on Triang and Triang-Hornby catalogues were anathama to my sensibilities, even as a young lad. Coaches swinging left and right as they negotiated ultra sharp toy trackwork and the whole baseboard filled with tracks going here, there & everywhere just didn't appeal. Real trains didn't behave like that. After the initial "shock" of being given Trix Twin for Xmas in the 1950s, this ungrateful laddie returned to watching real trains until he got married and was in a position to build a small branch terminus. I don't suppose I was alone in this too. :D

as a kid I loved Lego, loved the lego catalogues, I had some town stuff and trains, again would try and copy the scenes they had in the catalogue, which again like the Hornby, was shove as much of the products in to make it look interesting and exciting.

Mike

Go back a few years,

Cuneo paintings on the front, and inside...........................yahoo.gif

an Alladins cave of Magnadhesion, glowing firebox and opening doors, and ...................Synchrosmoke!yahoo.gifyes.gifyahoo.gif

It was the Cuneo paintings on the covers that inspired me and to a degree still do. My father lived near Cuneo and, as a schoolboy, was invited to watch him paint on several occasions.

You see those pictures on Triang and Triang-Hornby catalogues were anathama to my sensibilities,

Luckily I was blessed with a good imagination, in the same way a bean stick became a spear, two fingers a pistol and a rough shaped piece of wood a tommy gun to play British and Germans with.yes.gif

Mind you, I was only 10.laugh1.gif

I wonder how kids of today manage, with all that techno stuff, do they actually go out like we used to do?

Blimey , I am showing me age now!

I am not sure that Hornby have ever quite appreciated how influential their catalogues actually are. For many young people the Hornby catalogue is the definitive volume on all railway matters, if it is not in the catalogue it must be very obscure. In my day the entire railway was operated by Hymeks, Brush type 2, English Electric type 3, Brush type 4 and the English Electric shunter, or so I thought.

Never going near the real railway it was quite a while before my illusion was shattered, when I found out that pretty much all trains were actually electric and my belief in Hornby was lost forever!

Scalextric catlogues, the artwork on the early stuff is fantastic, whilst the later night shots of models are the same style as Hornby of the time.

http://vintagescalextric.com/?page_id=42

My uncle has had pretty much every scalextric set and car, quite a prolific collector and trader, had some of the rarest stuff, he had a layout at one time which was typical scalextric catalogue style.

And as for the stereotype, he is married, with at least one child, in what for the time looks to be a nice place (ok tank tops were in fashion!). So he is obviously reasonably successful, doesn't live with mother, has a sex life and can hold down a job!

Now if we are talking RM stereotypes...............................laugh1.gif

Yeah, point taken... :laugh:

Re those old catalogue layouts, with as much track as possible crammed on the board, like Coachmann yes I found/still find them wholly unappealing; yet, at many an Exhibition, those sort of displays are very popular; I suspect it's most of 'Joe Public's' idea of what a "Train Set" should look like, and there's always something moving... :rolleyes:

Finally yes I thought of Grommit looking back at that old advert - maybe that's where they got the idea from..?? ;)

I am not sure that Hornby have ever quite appreciated how influential their catalogues actually are. For many young people the Hornby catalogue is the definitive volume on all railway matters, if it is not in the catalogue it must be very obscure. In my day the entire railway was operated by Hymeks, Brush type 2, English Electric type 3, Brush type 4 and the English Electric shunter, or so I thought.

Never going near the real railway it was quite a while before my illusion was shattered, when I found out that pretty much all trains were actually electric and my belief in Hornby was lost forever!

Very true! I remember as a kid in the early 80s (7-8 years old) being quite put out to discover locomotives that weren't in the Hornby catalogue. Almost as though they weren't real unless Hornby-approved.

I found/still find them wholly unappealing; yet, at many an Exhibition, those sort of displays are very popular; I suspect it's most of 'Joe Public's' idea of what a "Train Set" should look like,
I thought that was an interesting point and it prompted me to look back to my own childhood in the 1940s for clues. Uncle Harry built things from sheet metal and I would browse through catalogues containing pictures of live steam locos and cranes etc as well as pictures of real trains. I also accompanied him to Bassett-Lowks's in Manchester just after the war. So these catalogues and not toy train catalogues must have formed my opinion of trains and railways.

I always liked the illustrations used in the 1978 Hornby catalogue, along with the vaguely dark and moody photos of some of the locos (the GW King and BR blue 47 spring to mind). Alongside the Hornby catalogues, the artwork on the old Airfix wagon and railway accessory kits fired my imagination as much as anything else... they all seemed to have a 'British Railways-ness' about them, if that makes any sense ;)

Nobody has mentioned MY first catalogue - 1977 . The shot of the HST on the cover and an even better shot of the train set which i still have boxed and complete even down to the mk3 alternative number sheet.

The current catalouges have been poor since production moved to China. Artists impressions instead of photos of the REAL model and set boxes where you cant see the contenets. I know its hard to photograph a model that is 3,000 miles away or doesnt exist yet but in this day and age........even the photos of the prototype could be better.

Even if details are to be modified - livery on Class 58 1982 catalogue.

Archived