Bachmann Open Days - July 2011

Andy Y

I think I need clean underwear after having seen the shots of the 85....I do hope it sells well enough for them to consider an 81 subsequently.

The 3F is also very nice. Anyone got any idea when the last ones were withdrawn in real life?

..The 3F is also very nice. Anyone got any idea when the last ones were withdrawn in real life?

1964. Still about 100 running in 1960, then a very swift run down as the replacement diesel power came in.

A very very nice model and probably the single class of loco which has caused me to date my trainset back to 1960 when Bescot had it's last three Midland 3Fs. I think the 3F was a far better proportioned engine than the more chunky 4F, but I do like both classes. I think at least two of "3A"'s allocation will be represented by this product from Barwell in my collection.

For anyone interested in West Midlands, there were quite late allocations of 3Fs at Bourneville and Saltley as well as Burton.

Does anyone know whether the undergubbins of the single pan loco reflects one with the rebuilding after the rectifiers were changed to solid state or is it the same as the twin pan version which is a mercury arc loco? There were major changes on the corridor side of the equipment with the rebuilding.

Andi

Not saying that the chokes ('undergubbins') weren't changed but weren't 85s built with solid state rectifiers unlike classes 81 to 84?

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Here are some photos of the N Gauge Farish stuff at the Open Day.

Apologies for the poor quality - some alternative ones will hopefully be appearing in the next issue of Model Rail.

Apart from the items mentioned earlier in the thread, Farish will be launching sets of weathered wagons in three packs with different numbers and minor livery variations. These will include cement presflows:

post-420-0-48930500-1311608382_thumb.jpg

...and Cattle wagons. Other models that will be available in weathered triple packs will be the TTA tankers, mineral wagons, conflats, BR standard vans and Metalair PCAs. This shot also shows, bottom, the new LNER vans, designed to go with the WD 2-8-0:

post-420-0-59103700-1311608495_thumb.jpg

Reliveries include the Mk3 Sleeper in Blue Grey. Also on show were some container reliveries - including the "windowlene" 2XL: Samskip and Geest are also coming.

post-420-0-58389900-1311608625_thumb.jpg

and something I've not previously seen, the Mk1 GUV. This is a welcome addition!

post-420-0-27427600-1311608675_thumb.jpg

New tooling includes the "Condor" type aluminium containers. Although mounted on the wagon for display purposes, they will be supplied as accessory packs. Factory painted Metalair PCAs are behind:

post-420-0-27015800-1311608736_thumb.jpg

Some of the new buses were also on display, and looked very nice.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Not saying that the chokes ('undergubbins') weren't changed but weren't 85s built with solid state rectifiers unlike classes 81 to 84?

Sorry, yes 85s were built with germanium rectifiers which were replaced with silicon rectifiers. My error :blush:

Andi

The container bottom right of the last photo - a REAL Speedfreight container!!

Thanks to Ben for those as a lot of my N gauge shots were a bit weak.

The Speedfreight container will be sold as an accessory item in 2mm and 4mm in due course.

Speedfreight.jpg

I understand that there were Farish A1's in final decorated form displayed.

I guess I have two questions if any one went is in the know: -

1) Any pics of the A1? The only one I can find is the not especially good one on the Bachmann Website.

2) Are they anywhere near production? I am guessing they must be if delivery in an October type timeframe is still intended.

Thanks in anticipation.

Roy

Just to let you all know, if you want to see this stuff in the flesh, Bachmann are bringing their roadshow to our Open Day on the 11th September.

Graham Hubbard very generously agreed to ship over both demo layouts and five of the display cabinets shown here with the new N and OO models from Bachmann, Farish and Scencraft to our showroom for the day.

So please come along if you want a chance to view these models (And possibly a few interim arrivals) for yourself.

• RMweb Gold

Oooooo Tornado looks lovely!

Thanks again Andy.

Tom.

Edit: Shouldn't the top of the tender be black all the way down to the top of the first set of lining?

I must admit, some of the new offerings from farish, particularly the A1, 5MT and GUV, are almost indistinguishable from their larger OO scale counterparts.

Thanks again to Bachmann for the hospitality!

I must admit, some of the new offerings from farish, particularly the A1, 5MT and GUV, are almost indistinguishable from their larger OO scale counterparts.

Pushing it a bit with the A1 when its fitted with the teeny bogie wheels..

Completely agree about the GUV though, that looks great as do the earlier recent mk1 releases in N.

As I say my N shots weren't the best but here's one of Tornado.

I understand they won't be too far away.

Hi Andy,

Thank you, much appreciated.

It looks superb, I am looking forward to receiving my two very much indeed based on that picture!

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Gold

All the new Farish steamers are supplied with a second set of pony wheels that are scale size. The models aren't supplied with these fitted because it limits the radii the models can cope with.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Some photos of the third Class 85 have been posted on DEMU's forum (not much help I know to non members) that show the correct rainstrips and chokes for a later version loco.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

I'll take those teeny bogie wheels over these anyday!

-372-278-battle-of-britain-class-34067-tangmere-br-lined-green-late-crest-1214-pekm851x300ekm.jpg

How far N has come, even with setrack friendly wheels fitted!

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

How far N has come, even with setrack friendly wheels fitted!

Tom.

Too right - the underframes on those Metalair PCAs look fantastic, if the Rapido couplers weren't there I could easily be convinced it was OO! The possibilities & temptations of N increase again.....

Graham Hubbard very generously agreed to ship over both demo layouts and five of the display cabinets shown here with the new N and OO models from Bachmann, Farish and Scencraft to our showroom for the day.

I hope Bachmann have plenty of display cabinets and samples! I always go to the N Gauge show at Leamington on Saturday and then STEAM at Swindon on Sunday on this same weekend and Bachmann display at both. Now a third event on the same weekend! Hopefully there will be enough samples to go around as some of these look great and I really want to see them close up.

Archived