18000 Arrives at Didcot

brian daniels

It's just a shell these days. I don't think it will be coming out of the GWS anytime soon. It had to come with the body and bogies separate and then crane the body onto the bogies. A lot of faffing about for a static exhibit. It will look good there and maybe they will make an exhibit inside it of gas turbine rail traction?

So it won't be coming to a town near anyone on a railtour anytime soon (does it even have an engine anymore?)

How about fitting it out as the support vehicle for a main line certified GWR 4-6-0? This will recreate all those 1950s photos of failed WR gas turbines having to be rescued by steam :D

• RMweb Gold

Ah! THAT'S what it was... I spotted it sat in the sidings at Didcot last week and couldn't work out what on earth it was, from a passing train it looked like a bubble car, all becomes clear :D

Andi

If ground signals need removing to get it across to the GWS site does that mean its largely out of gauge now for the majority of the Network.

It does have a ridiculously thick girder chassis to it, looks like a really robust Warwell or something.

Looks better in the green paint than it did in rusty faded black.

If ground signals need removing to get it across to the GWS site does that mean its largely out of gauge now for the majority of the Network.

It does have a ridiculously thick girder chassis to it, looks like a really robust Warwell or something.

Looks better in the green paint than it did in rusty faded black.

that's quite true.

I suppose asking one of the signamen on these fine forums would be able to help us answer that question?

I hadn't realised that it survived from 1970 onwards I thought it was scrapped O_o

The problem with the gauge is when it goes through the yard past either of 2 groundsignals and a stop board. As you can see one bogie has the springs set out a fare bit wider. It is also a bit taller than any stock around these days. Thankfully at Didcot you will be able to get up close and personal with it unlike at Toddington where you could only see it from a passing train.

post-6766-0-85872000-1311615463_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-15350000-1311615484_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-13282000-1311615487_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-26387800-1311615509_thumb.jpg

How visible is its current location from a publicly - accessible area? Would be another attraction for anyone travelling over to Didcot & the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway for South Oxfordshire Diesel Day on Sunday.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I am not too sure of the shade of green used here and should it have a primrose yellow roof? (might be wrong here as I am more used to blue everywhere!)

The green looks a lot paler than I remember it - but that's an awful long time back and it was in traffic so grubbier 9and so was the roof - grubby that is - as far as I can remember).

The problem with the gauge is when it goes through the yard past either of 2 groundsignals and a stop board. As you can see one bogie has the springs set out a fare bit wider.

I think this is part of the modifications done for it's career as a research locomotive in Switzerland. Certainly the wide fairing over this bogie is from this time. Presumably these extra bits are designed for the UIC loading gauge.

I think this is part of the modifications done for it's career as a research locomotive in Switzerland. Certainly the wide fairing over this bogie is from this time. Presumably these extra bits are designed for the UIC loading gauge.

well it would be ok on the nene valley and GCR if it was going to run....

I think?

well it would be ok on the nene valley and GCR if it was going to run....

I think?

I don't think it would fit on the GCR as the lines are only the usual distance from the platforms - hence there would be a lot of scratched paintwork. Out of interest does anyone know if the lines were ever positioned far enough away from the platforms for continental stock to run on the GC? Height wise 18000 might not be a problem at the GC though.

I wonder if the GWS will consider restoring 18000 to its original appearance. Even if the wide bogie springs could not be rectified I believe the loco should have some grilles where some of the bodyside windows are and there are various lights on the cab front that could be reinstated.

• RMweb Premium

If it is still at it's original height it should be 13' 4" which is pushing it a bit for Network Rail. Isn't the current limit 13' 3"?

I believe it was also originaly built to take advantage of the more generous GWR width limit (it was double red rated) and was out of gauge for most of BR.

Maybe somebody will have more precise measurements.

Keith

As far as I'm aware, the GW main line still has the large clearances - the Turbo units are "out of gauge" everywhere else!

And as more of the network is cleared for larger containers, height would presumably be less of a problem. Though at the moment these two factors together would probably limit operation to Oxford - Reading/Basingstoke!

• RMweb Premium

And here is another beauty just screaming out for a RTR version, so come on Hornby/Bachmann get down to Didcot with your laser/CAD jobies and measure it up.If I get a decent win on the lottery I will pay for a new engine.

Archived