A diorama or two by Sandhills

Sandhills

Nice work Jon. just a couple of general questions:

Is it best to seperate body from chassis to weather or does it depend on technique used/desired finish?

What about masking off wheels/contact strips, is it better to remove bogie frame and paint seperate?

Hope you do some rolling stock too!

Paul

I wondered where you'd gone Jon. You certainly haven't lost your touch, that's for sure – wonderful work… exactly what I'd like to aim for in terms of photogenic modelling and outdoor, realistic-looking images. Only one gripe, your images could be bigger!

Hi Paul

I would say I pretty much always separate body from chassis. The body will take a lot more of a hammering from paint & thinner than the running gear etc.... Spray directly onto bodies but use the bounce technique for the bogies. A fine mist of spray will get the job done and I can honestly say I've never had any major problems with stuff working and running ok even after a heavy weather. The pick ups are well protected nowadays and not as exposed as on older models. As for wheels a quick wipe with a cotton bud dipped in thinner and a track rubber on hand seem to do the trick. I'm lucky enough to have an on track wheel cleaner, you know the sort that transmits the power through to the loco and the wire brush rails clean the wheels. My videos will show that everything runs fine after weathering, the only loco I ever had trouble with was a EWS 66 when I first started and that I went OTT with !!

As for finish, let's take the GBrf 66 that I've got to do, that will be separated, the bogies will be sprayed with the usual traffic film mix but the body I will only lightly do with powder. GBrf locos get dirty like everything else but as a rule they keep bodysides fairly clean, and let's face it, with all those bodyside grooves Bachmann 66's are a nightmare to weather !!

As for stock, I've got the flats to do and the containers will be a challenge, never done any before and they are full of grooved sides aswell !!

This one is the dog's thingies... yahoo.gifyahoo.gifcool.gifcool.gif

I'd agree and have done the green button thingy accordingly. A fantastic image taken from a very realistic angle and (if I may be so bold) doesn't suffer from the strong colours that some others have.

Loco Project #2 - Hornby 92031

'Just how unrealistic can I make this toy look'

A day off.......so it was class 92 time !!

I've never had a crack at a sparky but lets face it, its just a 60 with a bit sticking out the roof isnt it ?!

Evidently not !

The version of the 92 I snapped up for a bargin £30 was the later Hornby version, an inprovement on the earlier Lima version I thought........wrong !!

Having seen how the experts do it on the web I discovered the general concensus seemed to be that the Lima model was better. Very light, poorly printed, minus any kind of detail and detail parts and extremely unstable yellow paint work when touch with thinner, I knew this was to be a challenge !

The first thing to go was the thumping great couplings and after they had gone I was left with a huge open view into the bogies, certainly not realistic and on investigation I found on prototype pictures that a cowling covered this and I would need to fabricate my own......eek !!

To cut a long story short, I had a go using some stiff plastic sheet, cut to size with the angled bits at the side shaped using a scalpel. I thought things looked ok so carried on with detailing and weathing however the photos I took at the end of todays session showed the cowling was a little too low, too wide and too thick. I'll show what I took as im not ashamed at my scratch effort and im amongst friends (!!). After realising additional work needed to be carried out I'll also show a couple off the board that I took once I had trimmed the cowling with a razor and re painted.

Hopefully tmow I will receive the channel tunnel portals from Shawplan and once added I will (depending on the weather) re take some realistic shots with the new look front end and the fitted rings. Unfortunately, the nameplates 'The Institute of Logistics & Transport' arent available as etched plates so it looks like these will have to stay as the flat printed versions.

Im fairly pleased with my first attempt and I think with some further tweaking and the correctly selected angles on images this complete no hoper might, just cut the realistic mustard........well, from a distance anyway !!!!

Out the box.

post-6667-0-86927600-1312386081_thumb.jpg

Before the op !

post-6667-0-70172700-1312386144_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-51058700-1312386191_thumb.jpg

After the op !

post-6667-0-23592800-1312386240_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-28946500-1312386227_thumb.jpg

Happy with this, probably 'cause you cant see the front end as much !!

post-6667-0-89649200-1312386212_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-50543100-1312386201_thumb.jpg

Will re visit this tmow once the rings are fitted the new shape cowling is finished and further small patches of weathering are sorted.

post-6667-0-28454400-1312386164_thumb.jpg

Overall, £30 well spent, however it would be interesting to get hold of a Lima version and see how that turns out ?!

Got the 60 out to drag it back to Crewe EMD for workbench attention !!

post-6667-0-55070500-1312386319_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-53251400-1312386349_thumb.jpg

Absolutely stunning!

I'm really impressed with the weathering on all of your locos, especially the underframe colouring and roof weathering. Do you have any particular colours/techniques you use or is that a trade secret? :laugh: :laugh:

The 92 looks rather good - may I suggest one further tweak? Replace the wipers with Shawplan Pantograph wipers - IIRC they're about the correct size and they're much finer.

Dave - Would you believe they came out a spares bag from a Hornby 08 ! Had to cut away the hook and moulding on the 92 bufferbeam then drilled a small hole for the new one to glue into. I think the 92's have the continental screw couplings which are slightly different to the uk version but I can get away with these.....I think ?!

Matto21 - No secrets here my friend ! I use Railmatch paints, roofs & bogies are normally a combination of Weathered Black, Frame Dirt & Sleeper Grime. Keep the nozzles in tip top condition by storing them in a bottle of thinner, always shake the tin well and soak the tins in a sink full of hot water before use, results obtained can often be as effective and fine as airbrushing. Always clear the tube in the can by spraying upside down until the paint clears swell. Take time to mask stuff off carefully like glazing, a costly lesson i learnt several locos ago !! Work from the top down, never across and separate chassis from body, treat as two different projects. I use three colours of powder aswell, a light and dark rust and a black, more often than not applied with make up brushes or Q Tips ! That's about all I can tell you that might be of any use !

Was looking forward to seeing your treatment of a 92.

Could I suggest taking a small drill bit to the horns just to give the horn...... well a horn shape! The moulding seam seems to stand out a lot. Theres an article in Model rail 94 about detailing the Class 92. Though I've struggled to find brass buffers for my pet project.

All said.... Good work fella!

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree and have done the green button thingy accordingly. A fantastic image taken from a very realistic angle and (if I may be so bold) doesn't suffer from the strong colours that some others have.

Yep will you quit posting pics of real loco's and passing them off as your own work! :laugh:

always thought your stuff was excellent, but have to say the Eastfield diorama on the loco's on it are something I'm alot more familiar with and simple or not it works very well! B)

A snatched hour this afternoon has seen a few improvements to the 'electric tug' !

''Could I suggest taking a small drill bit to the horns just to give the horn...... well a horn shape !''................yep !

post-6667-0-26133900-1312471617_thumb.jpg

Thanks Nile, took a steady hand but a marked improvement even though its the first time ive done this small mod.

Shawplan rings turned up and oh my gosh, I thought fitting nameplates was a 'mare but these were something else ! Ended up putting the glue on the bodyside and lowering down the ring on a pin with the tiniest bit of Blu-Tac at the end ! Still didnt do a fantastic job but at least ive learnt for next time !

post-6667-0-62784400-1312471975_thumb.jpg

A touch more weathering and apart from the windscreen wiper mod I think this ones gone as far as it can go ! Certainly fancy doing a grey one now with the Speedlink Distribution decals on so the hunt for a Lima version starts tmow !

post-6667-0-01924300-1312472021_thumb.jpg

I also ordered a set of Crewe EMD diamonds, my favourite design of all the depot plaques that exsisted in the triple grey days, without thinking that the EWS liveried version didnt carry them. That got me thinking then that maybe 031 being a Crewe Depot 'pet' did. I trawled through pages and pages of pics and ive not found a prototype picture with them attached to the loco yet but im still convinced, when first released, either 001 or 031 did carry them ? Anyway, I couldnt resist so like it or not, on one side only, I decided to fit a plate. I know it probably never happened and the purists will scowl with discontent but to be honest I think EWS missed out there, the contrast with the maroon sits quite well ! I've kept the other side 'correct' for photos and I can enjoy my 'artistic licence moment' on the other !!

post-6667-0-74378900-1312472139_thumb.jpg

GBRF 66 next, with sound, I feel a video snippet coming on next week ! Also need to put some work in on the board, laying the concrete apron, further ballasting and painting/weathering those OHLE masts.

Looking really good Jon. The rings are certainly an improvement. Can I make afurther suggestion regarding the air horns. I have done this mod many times and I feel you get a much better result if after making the initial holes as you have done you then open them out with a drill bit that is about the dame diameter as the end on the horn. The point of the drill then gives it a nice look to the horn without a thick edge around the hole.

Cav

The tunnel rings certainly do take the flatness of the side of the loco and make it less toylike in the photographs.

Glad you went with the air horn idea, funny how something so small can just catch your eye. Mind you that was Coco Chanel's advice. If you look at something then the first thing that catches your eye more often or not is the thing that is wrong.

A post with no locos for a change - shock, horror !!

Decided to get some ground cover done today as I was feeling in a scenics mood !

I laid a concrete apron yesterday for the depot to sit on and used a dollop of final skim that the builder doing the kitchen refit downstairs had left over. It dried the right colour, it was smooth and even though it set hard it was easy to tidy up the edges with a scalpel and dig the depot line rails out ! Compared to Polyfilla or Lilliput it was certainly easier to work with and setting up a balsa wood edge round the area I wanted covering meant all I had to do was pour in, smooth over and push into the corners. After laying I carefully pushed the depot building into the setting plaster and for the first time ever I have a stuck down structure with no gaps or light showing were building meets ground !

post-6667-0-62210600-1312552245_thumb.jpg

Ground cover around the depot is to be Carrs black ash powder, laid quite thickly, soaked in diluted PVA with a hint of Fairy Liquid to aid the soaking in process ! Once sprinkled on and sprayed with PVA I go straight in with paint spray, weathered black, gloss black & sleeper grime.

post-6667-0-39843900-1312552441_thumb.jpg

The oil puddle is done by pouring, yes pouring (!) enamel black paint straight from the pot and then a pinch of carrs ash ballast sprinkled over the top !

post-6667-0-55770800-1312552489_thumb.jpg

The rails on all these pics still need cleaning up but that will be done when all the goo is dry !

post-6667-0-40554700-1312552460_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-31471400-1312552478_thumb.jpg

I still need to take a lot of the weathering off the apron area and this will be done using thinner, cotton buds and a small sanding block.

post-6667-0-32411600-1312552471_thumb.jpg

Im pleased with the contrast both in height and colour of the running line ballast compared to the depot area floor cover.

post-6667-0-26390800-1312552475_thumb.jpg

The 4ft on the fuel road has wire mesh glued into the gap then heavily weathered with gloss black paint.

post-6667-0-93064300-1312552498_thumb.jpg

The whole area is then sprayed with a fine mist of gloss varnish to keep the wet/oily look. Even after 2 hours of drying in the sun it still looks wet !

post-6667-0-17106300-1312552503_thumb.jpg

Now to see what a loco looks like stood on the fuel line.............................................................

A few snaps before I sign off for a weekend of a friends birthday, a friends wedding reception & the return of my lad from 2 weeks in Cornwall chasing trains ! No modelling for me then !

These remind me of Doncaster for some bizarre reason, not the depot building but the big brick wall behind ! Like the sloping car park wall at the North East end of Donny !

post-6667-0-72714100-1312559504_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-89960000-1312559515_thumb.jpg

This says Shirebrook if the Robin Hood line ever got electrified !

post-6667-0-43193700-1312559564_thumb.jpg

Im so pleased this doesnt look like a toy anymore ! Just needs a full rake of loaded container flats behind it !

post-6667-0-55426700-1312559578_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-11960600-1312559542_thumb.jpg

Erh ! Straight out the box and plonked on the board ! The bush is doing a splendid job of hiding the lack of skirt and pipes !! GBrf 66702 ex works on Peterborough after delivery !!

post-6667-0-79721100-1312559548_thumb.jpg

This screams Immingham even though ive only been there once and got chucked out after 5 mins !!

post-6667-0-77590800-1312559465_thumb.jpg

Facing the sun unfortunately but im beginning to like stuff taken from the other side of the board.

post-6667-0-92446200-1312559571_thumb.jpg

The Spalding shuttle !

post-6667-0-44093500-1312560740_thumb.jpg

My favourite of the afternoon

post-6667-0-58125400-1312560734_thumb.jpg

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone.............................

Just a quick post, weathered a first set of Bachmann container flats and 4 boxes this afternoon. Pleased with the heavy traffic film finish on the flats themselves but boxes need more work. Im still to experiment with further ideas like grey primer paint patches, heavier rust, dents and graffiti. I also want to finish various boxes in different varnish, ie gloss, satin and matt, to see if I can achieve a suitable wet look finish on some.

With another 2 sets to do i'll try to perfect some effects on the next set and then post a step by step when I do the last.

Not pictured these on a board yet but took a few snaps straight after and before the varnish experiment -

post-6667-0-05521500-1312989740_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-31315300-1312989766_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-84814300-1312989859_thumb.jpg

post-6667-0-53483700-1312989769_thumb.jpg

Archived