Bolton Trinity Road - trains running in the shed and garden in OO

Jenny Emily

Not wishing to divert the topic or discourage anyone from having cctv, you need to check with your local police on positioning of cameras (privacy law issues) and also if the camera meets CPS standards for evidentiary quality. Most cctv sytems available to the general public, whilst giving a clear image, are not considered of sufficient quality for submission in a court of law.

We have infra-red CCTV (4 cameras) checking the front of our house.  It was installed after some vandalism which I reported to the police and was told that they couldn't do anything and it would have been a different story if we'd have CCTV. So I fitted it. In conversation with the local police CCTV is fine as long as you are not looking in to another property. Basically it is like all other camera law, i.e. what can be seen from a public area is okay. In our case I cover the front of our property, the communal grassy area in front of that, and the lane in front of that. I've already had one neighbour ask for footage after a theft from their car. The cameras we have produce a pretty high quality digital image which can easily identify people. The police were impressed by the video we gave them when the vandals returned.

• RMweb Gold

The bit I love is the ICO's take on CCTV for businesses....If you have a fixed camera (I.e. it doesn't move) then they don't care. If you install one that can be remotely controlled, tracks movement or pans round automatically they expect you to register it with them under the data protection act.

The main failing on domestic systems as I understand it is they don't all date  & timestamp the recordings.

Hi all, just another thought,

If when I move I have an outside door to a Shed or Garage I am thinking of putting a Rought Iron Gate (the sort you get at a Garden Centre) inside the main door with a LARGE MOTORCYCLE TYPE CHAIN AND LOCK, that would at least slow them down and may persuade then to forget it.

Andy

Guest jonte

If when I move I have an outside door to a Shed or Garage I am thinking of putting a Rought Iron Gate (the sort you get at a Garden Centre) inside the main door with a LARGE MOTORCYCLE TYPE CHAIN AND LOCK, that would at least slow them down and may persuade then to forget it.

Andy

Well, it's what drug dealers do to impede the progress of the authorities when they receive an 'ad hoc' visit !!

Jonte

Andy

And connect a decent capacitor circuit to it, that will throw off any miscreant who has no right to be in there!

HI Jenny, When I bought a new loco I would take a couple of pics and keep it in a STOCK folder on my PC,. when I sold it it would be transfered to the EX STOCK folder. I am now going to re do all my Locos in light of your loss, and take at least 2 pics of each, showing details like crew, coal, weathering etc so that I would have something for the Police and Insurance Company should I need it.

Andy

I'm going to be looking at getting a CCTV system that is available in Maplin and came reccomended by a colleague at work. 

Today I shall be taking an old quality street tin into work and will be collecting all the old grease of the fifth wheels of our fifty-strong fleet. That stuff is the *best* sort of anti vandal paint and right now I think only the best will do. 

I also have on its way an alarmed padlock. These are of the type used to secure moterbikes and will go off if moved. I think having that on the shed door (along with a second substantial padlock for maximum security) should give anyone who tries to fiddle with it a nice load shock.

Finally, I have a company coming on Monday to quote for a new alarm system. It should allow the shed to be alarmed at all times even if the rest of the house system is switched off. I want a siren inside the shed too, so that if the alarm is triggered it is *really* loud in the shed. 

Andy

With the spate of scrap thefts they would probably just steal the gate!

"collecting all the old grease of the fifth wheels of our fifty-strong fleet"

Good for the complexion, fifth wheel grease. Sticks to skin like Sh#t and won't come off without vigorous scrubbing(Ask any trucker with a hole in their glove).

Glad to hear you're going to war against Ned and his Cronies.

Stay positive and build from this.

I'm going to be looking at getting a CCTV system that is available in Maplin and came reccomended by a colleague at work. 

Today I shall be taking an old quality street tin into work and will be collecting all the old grease of the fifth wheels of our fifty-strong fleet. That stuff is the *best* sort of anti vandal paint and right now I think only the best will do. 

I also have on its way an alarmed padlock. These are of the type used to secure moterbikes and will go off if moved. I think having that on the shed door (along with a second substantial padlock for maximum security) should give anyone who tries to fiddle with it a nice load shock.

Finally, I have a company coming on Monday to quote for a new alarm system. It should allow the shed to be alarmed at all times even if the rest of the house system is switched off. I want a siren inside the shed too, so that if the alarm is triggered it is *really* loud in the shed. 

You need one of these...

Might be a little bit too loud though.

;) :D

Today is day one of starting the task of rebuilding 'Trinity Road'. I've built the steel cage inside the shed walls and a new armour plated (almost!) door is being built. I'm going to try and film a first train before anything gets touched though. A kind of Phoenix express! Seen as the Hornby class 09 'Dick Hardy' was the loco which resulted in the items being recovered, I think it is only fitting that that should be the first loco, coupled to some TTas and salt wagons that are filthy with the Police fingerprint stuff. After that, I'll see how much damage is easily repaired, and how much has to be hacked out and rebuilt from scratch.

• RMweb Gold

Jenny,

I know you've probably already thought about this but what is the glazing and the surrounds like?

I replaced the windows of my workshop with Makrolon which is a polycarbonate used to make riot shields, so is very difficult to smash.

Regards

Richard

Typical British Law obfuscation!

You can have a clear image of someone but it is not admissable? Absurd.

Best, Pete.

All CCTV evidence is admissable in a court of law - it's the 'weight' that may be attached to that evidence which is determined by qulaity of image. There are defined criteria for the standards to which an image must comply if it is to be used for particular purposes.

Often the term 'of evidential qaulity' is used - this is a nonsense term, there are no defined criteria to ensure that the image is 'evidential quality'.

Forward Facing CCTV on trains................ now there's a thing - Data Protection Act or not ?

Rgds

Not wishing to divert the topic or discourage anyone from having cctv, you need to check with your local police on positioning of cameras (privacy law issues) and also if the camera meets CPS standards for evidentiary quality. Most cctv sytems available to the general public, whilst giving a clear image, are not considered of sufficient quality for submission in a court of law.

All CCTV evidence is admissable in a court of law - it's the 'weight' that may be attached to that evidence which is determined by qulaity of image. There are defined criteria for the standards to which an image must comply if it is to be used for particular purposes.

Often the term 'of evidential qaulity' is used - this is a nonsense term, there are no defined criteria to ensure that the image is 'evidential quality'.

Forward Facing CCTV on trains................ now there's a thing - Data Protection Act or not ?

Rgds

• RMweb Gold

.................... I'm going to try and film a first train before anything gets touched though. A kind of Phoenix express! ........................

Along the Phoenix theme, how about incorporating some on a bridge rebuild or elsewhere, a bit like Eagle Bridge that used to be in Crewe Works.

Morning Jenny

Watched the Phoenix Express this morning. :locomotive:  It's great to see Trinity Road starting to come back to life. :sungum:  :locomotive:

Looking forward to seeing the progress of repair.

Duncan

Shocked Jenny... just caught up with all whats gone on.

Reminds me of our house being broken into when I was young and as well as taking my TV, etc.....   they purposely put my dioramas on the floor and smashed them to pieces.

Razor wire... inside the 5th wheel grease, having to scrub that out of a wound will be something they wont forget in a hurry.

If you need any more grease, we have plenty here too.

Good luck with the rebuild.  

T

Wire up the steel grid to the mains.  Its something I would love to do but of course I couldn't condone it...

I got modded for posting that! (I get the impression that I'm not well liked by Andy)

Doesn't mean I don't wholeheartedly agree though. You'd need to make sure it was low amperage though as then it would be non-lethal.

Guest bri.s

I once saw something called the iron maden on a film years ago can't remember the name but a it was a giant bladed slide they put them on at the top and by the bottom they where cut in two

That might make the scum think again

Looking forward to the layout rising from the ashes like a Phoenix

Brian

I once saw something called the iron maden on a film years ago can't remember the name but a it was a giant bladed slide they put them on at the top and by the bottom they where cut in two

That might make the scum think again

Looking forward to the layout rising from the ashes like a Phoenix

Brian

The Long Ships starring Richard Widmark and Sid Poitier. Not sure how you would persuade scrotes to climb a ladder and throw themselves down though. Probably more chance of reintroducing corporal punishment - a good thrashed ahhs would sort many of them out.

JohnDolan

Archived