Bolton Trinity Road - trains running in the shed and garden in OO

Jenny Emily

After four weeks that have been extremely busy with other work, I've finally been able to get back into the shed for videoing. Zoë was quite keen to make use of her new tripod, so we tried for some tracking shots which give a better view of the whole of the layout. I will be putting a little oil on her tripod bearings though, as it seemed very stiff and this translated into a few jerkier than would be desired shots.

I took the opportunity to scare the rivet counters and run a weird and ecclectic mix of stock. I bought the Bachmann City of London because I'm a sucker for pre-grouping liveries, and the N class has been a favourite since arriving years ago as a birthday present from my Father who seems immune to me telling him repeatedly that I model BR blue TOPS diesels!

http://youtu.be/2mHNIl_X3EM

You had better watch out, your father probably thinks a 'Blue Pullman' is the right shade of blue. That would be a disappointment.

I'd have to take it and go and be disappointed playing with it for a good few hours. It would be a disappointment I could probably get over ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jenny, I've just spent the last couple of hours watching your videos and reading your build. I completely agree with Physicsman, the amount of scratch building that you have done and the quality is simply astounding, especially as you also have a busy life outside of the shed.

More power to your elbow!

Cheers

Jason

• 1 month later...

It's been a long time since I last filmed in the shed, so I made use of a slightly warmer day yesterday and an hour to myself to film. There's not really much change on the layout, though it is nice to play from time to time. The class 28 from Heljan is a lovely little loco. Such a shame that they don't seem to be selling as well as they deserve, judging by Hattons' discounting.

http://youtu.be/x4jVVTAvvOI

Unfortunately only one is available in Blue. I know that only one real one got rail blue, but I prefer that colour to the green. I had hoped that Hattons might have done a few slightly fictional liveries, as they did for the class 14 as 14701 in Loadhaul. Either plain BR blue with a 28xxx number or - my favourite - would have been to try the model in RTC blue/red.

Hi Jenny,

Have just 'clocked' your thread with the recent flurry of postings and had a catch up read. Not only am I sucker for models based on real locations, but I also worked on the railways in North Manchester in the mid-1990's and spent many a happy(?) hour on Bolton station. Although you're quite content to run any train that takes your fancy (and there's nothing wrong with that - you obviously enjoy scaring the rivet counters :locomotive:!) I think you've made a cracking job of capturing the atmosphere of the station and its surroundings. Some great structure and building modelling, as others have already commented on. Loved the vid with the Hornby Dublo locos :sungum:

Thanks! I keep meaning to dig out some more old Hornby Dublo locos and stock from storage and give them a run. Aside from the R1 and City of London, the only other 2 rail locos I remember were an N2 in BR black, a class 20 and a Hornby Acho 0-6-0 shunter. Any other 2 rail locomotives were converted to 3 rail in the 1980s and 1990s. Ironic as I guess my Father and I were doing the opposite of what most other people did!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! The weather has held up extremely well to the massive amounts of wind and rain - not even a hint of dampness. I think that the coat of gloss white paint applied to the roof mainly to curb heat build up in summer has helped hold the roofing felt shale on and seal the clout nails from water ingress. In fact, it has fared a lot better than nextdoor's roof which has apparently poured water in around their chimney.

Currently I'm considering options for the long planned extension into the garden. This was always a longterm plan, and provision was made from the beginning for options to run a double track extended loop out via Burnden junction around the garden and back through Bolton West junction. I've built some link bridges from old Meccano which would connect the shed to the rest of the garden loop. These were modelled on a bowstring girder design and have been coated in three coats of Hammerite red paint to protect it from rusting in the usual British liquid sunshine. The paint also serves to lock the nuts and bolts so that the bridge doesn't mysteriously loosen itself and fall apart over time.

As for the rest of the loop I haven't quite decided. There's been a lot of building work going on here since we bought the house, but this is largely (finally!) coming to an end leaving an area of raised flowerbed that has been given chance to settle (it was built up using decent soil being dug out from the front garden when the new drive and landscaping were done). I had originally thought of building a brick and concrete trackbed, but I'm worried that this might prove not least a massive engineering feat. It is also possible that subsidence of a heavy structure over time will make for annoying and unreliable running. Therefore I'm now looking at more sparse brick piers than using marine grade 1" plywood covered in roofing felt for the trackbed. I can then see how well this stands up to the weather and it should be easier to adjust if any of the brick piers settle over time.

I really need to source some trackpins that are more resilient to the weather than the Peco ones, as I've had these rust just from the ballast glue mix so I think British weather may prove a challenge for them.

Like a lot of people, I got an SECR liveried C class for Christmas. I finally got around to filming it on the move on the layout. The video is also alittle different from previous ones because we got a clip on lens for the iPhone camera that means it takes a wider angle picture which viewing without the feeling that you are watching with blinkers on!

• RMweb Gold

I'm not the greatest fan of model videos, but am seldom disappointed by those on this thread. Your cinematographer manages to convey both the substantial amount of real modelling that has gone into the layout - and the simple fun of running trains. She also seems to understand the word "edit"! A good start to your New Year, I'd say. 

• RMweb Premium

Jenny, great layout! Spent an hour reading and watching your vids and what an entertaining hour it has been. You have certainly captured the fun side of our hobby. All those signals sure set the scene. I managed to make all the ratio signals work on my Dunster layout which took forever.

Keep up the good work and keep those videos coming.   

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a while since I last filmed anything, but the arrival of a Bachmann C class in SECR grey the other week prompted a dusting off in the shed of the layout. They are lovely locomotives and I look forward to acquiring the third C class in SECR livery when it is released. 

Ratio signal kits certainly are pigs. There's a very good reason why most of the signals on the layout are dummies and don't actually work :) The Walthers crane is a very good kit, though sadly very hard to come by in the UK, as are most of the other Walthers kits. Infuriatingly Walthers are the kings of backorder and rarely is the kit you want actually in stock in their warehouse. 

Ah... someone.... Jenny.... has already done Trinity Street !    

I was going to attempt the Bolton - Westhoughton  - scaled down slightly due to room  (I figured no one would notice if the distance from Bolton to Lostock was only a "mile") with the Metal Box spur.

Well done, looks fantastic.   

• 2 weeks later...

Trinity Road was destroyed about an hour ago by two worthless scrotes. In an act of vandalism they set out to smash it after breaking a second time into my shed. I have to wait until the morning for CSI to attend before I can go in there (in case DNA can be found) but through the hole in the door it is clear that almost anything that can be smashed has been. 

Right now I'm in the mood to track these people down and use them for foundation infill for a new patio. 

Hi Jenny, you have my deepest sympathy we all saw how much you had put int TS and the stock from years ago will be hard if not impossible to replace. The Tutbury Jinny near Burton on Trent was done a couple of weeks ago and some of the stock was all down the road, SMASHED.

As you say patio fodder at best stung up by the G***IES EVEN BETTER.

Andy

Archived