Bolton Trinity Road - trains running in the shed and garden in OO

Jenny Emily

Guest Max Stafford

Profession left aside for the moment. If I found out who was responsible for doing this to my layout, I suspect I'd never see the outside world again.

I wish protracted, undignified and painful death on those responsible.

My utmost sympathies Jenny.

Hi Jenny

Ive been watching your articals and videos for a while now,very impressive modeling.Its a shock to find out this has happened to you.I really hope they catch these unmentionable low life,i wont insult animals by calling them that.

Hope they didnt get hold of all your stock,things that have sentimental value.

Hope you can get through this and make a new start.All the Best.

Terry

Hi Jenny was hving dinner and catching up on rmweb nearly choked THE B*****ds chopt their private parts off

I hope it doesnt deter you from modelling.

Early days but I hope Trinity Rd mk2 rises phoenix like.

As you know we are one big family on here and I would have thought any of us would be here to help if possible-Simon

Trinity Road was destroyed about an hour ago by two worthless scrotes. In an act of vandalism they set out to smash it after breaking a second time into my shed.

:O Jenny, I`m absolutely gutted that you have been prey to such a vindictive and cruel act of nastiness!. :ireful:

• RMweb Gold

:O Jenny, I`m absolutely gutted that you have been prey to such a vindictive and cruel act of nastiness!. :ireful:

I share Debs thoughts - and probably her suggestions for the scumbags too.

Guest jonte

Like so many other fellow members, Jenny, as my previous posts will confirm, I'm an avid follower of Trinity Road so was especially shocked and disappointed to learn that you've become a victim for a second time. Words simply fail me.

However, as per a previous poster, I trust these unfortunate incidents will serve only to strengthen your resolve and Trinity Road will rise phoenix like from the ashes in the not too distant future, so that it won't be too long before I'm sitting back to enjoy the soothing clickety-clack of your 'eclectic' collection of rolling stock traversing that intricate arrangement of points once again. Of course, I would understand if you decided to throw in the towel and call it a day, and who could blame you, although for the good of the hobby, I sincerely hope not. If so, I fear the recidivist scum would certainly have succeeded in their pointless and wanton acts of theft and destruction- and that simply cannot be allowed to happen.

Whilst I appreciate that insurance can cover most, if not all of the cost of your sad loss in terms of replacement of extensive numbers of stock and 'auxiliaries', the time and effort taken to create our 'prides and joy' cannot so easily be quantified or valued. Indeed, only those of us of a modelling bent can really appreciate the true cost here. Consequently, several weeks down the line from now, when replacements - I understand some can never be replaced - have been secured and the bureaucracy duly dealt with and put to bed, you will still be a long way off reaching a stage of completion approaching anything near what it was before you were visited by these sordid deeds. What a shame.

So, Jenny, in an attempt to try and hasten proceedings and bearing in mind that your station buildings, like mine, were also based on the 'Market House' Superquick kit, may I offer you mine as replacements? I would be sincerely honoured if you would do so (no pressure there, then!) - I think they'd do the job until you eventually managed to build suitable replacements. On the remote chance that you actually deem them suitable, you're even welcome to keep them. I shaln't embarrass you by asking you to reply on open forum, so I'll PM you with a link to my blog to see if you want them. I've found a supplier in N.Wales who sells the kits dirt cheaply, so they're simply replaced, and the add-ons are just bits lying on or around my modelling desk of which I've plenty more to call upon. I enjoyed  building them and I dare say I'd enjoy building them again. As I also live in the North West, I can drop them off or leave them with a friend or relative for you; I doubt they'd stand up to the rigours of the postage system. Just a simple 'yes' or 'no' to my even simpler PM will do, Jenny, and don't worry if you don't feel like making a decision right now. I understand under the circumstances.

Finally, going back to these foul deeds, I heard on the regional news recently, that G.M.P. have extended their definition of 'Hate Crime', and I wondered whether - in light of this second occurrence - the matter could be reclassified to one of greater gravity? I'm sure you've already given this adequate consideration, Jenny, and discussed this with the local constabulary, so please forgive me if I'm going over old ground. Just a thought. 

Whatever happens, Jenny, remember you're not alone in your plight and both you and your partner are in our thoughts.

Best wishes,

Jonte.

Guest oldlugger

Terrible news Jenny and words can never take the place of something very special to you, but as Jonte says (what a star he is) you're not alone and I'm sure the entire membership of RMweb would be totally behind you at this time. Like Jonte, you could have some of my models but they're all southern region!

Chin up

Simon

Like so many other fellow members, Jenny, as my previous posts will confirm, I'm an avid follower of Trinity Road so was especially shocked and disappointed to learn that you've become a victim for a second time. Words simply fail me.

However, as per a previous poster, I trust these unfortunate incidents will serve only to strengthen your resolve and Trinity Road will rise phoenix like from the ashes in the not too distant future, so that it won't be too long before I'm sitting back to enjoy the soothing clickety-clack of your 'eclectic' collection of rolling stock traversing that intricate arrangement of points once again. Of course, I would understand if you decided to throw in the towel and call it a day, and who could blame you, although for the good of the hobby, I sincerely hope not. If so, I fear the recidivist scum would certainly have succeeded in their pointless and wanton acts of theft and destruction- and that simply cannot be allowed to happen.

Whilst I appreciate that insurance can cover most, if not all of the cost of your sad loss in terms of replacement of extensive numbers of stock and 'auxiliaries', the time and effort taken to create our 'prides and joy' cannot so easily be quantified or valued. Indeed, only those of us of a modelling bent can really appreciate the true cost here. Consequently, several weeks down the line from now, when replacements - I understand some can never be replaced - have been secured and the bureaucracy duly dealt with and put to bed, you will still be a long way off reaching a stage of completion approaching anything near what it was before you were visited by these sordid deeds. What a shame.

So, Jenny, in an attempt to try and hasten proceedings and bearing in mind that your station buildings, like mine, were also based on the 'Market House' Superquick kit, may I offer you mine as replacements? I would be sincerely honoured if you would do so (no pressure there, then!) - I think they'd do the job until you eventually managed to build suitable replacements. On the remote chance that you actually deem them suitable, you're even welcome to keep them. I shaln't embarrass you by asking you to reply on open forum, so I'll PM you with a link to my blog to see if you want them. I've found a supplier in N.Wales who sells the kits dirt cheaply, so they're simply replaced, and the add-ons are just bits lying on or around my modelling desk of which I've plenty more to call upon. I enjoyed  building them and I dare say I'd enjoy building them again. As I also live in the North West, I can drop them off or leave them with a friend or relative for you; I doubt they'd stand up to the rigours of the postage system. Just a simple 'yes' or 'no' to my even simpler PM will do, Jenny, and don't worry if you don't feel like making a decision right now. I understand under the circumstances.

Finally, going back to these foul deeds, I heard on the regional news recently, that G.M.P. have extended their definition of 'Hate Crime', and I wondered whether - in light of this second occurrence - the matter could be reclassified to one of greater gravity? I'm sure you've already given this adequate consideration, Jenny, and discussed this with the local constabulary, so please forgive me if I'm going over old ground. Just a thought. 

Whatever happens, Jenny, remember you're not alone in your plight and both you and your partner are in our thoughts.

Best wishes,

Jonte.

That is immensely kind of you! The main station building I have appears to have survived appart from losing the clock tower and chimney pots. The insurance assessor is coming next monday, and until then I haven't the heart to go into the shed again, but if the main station building turns out to be more extensively damaged than today's quick look suggested then I would be honoured to take up your offer.

Many, many thanks! Also a big big thanks to all the other people who have offerd a multitude of replacement models and parts! I feel humbled by how quickly the community has rallied together to help. :)

Just caught up with this thread. What can I say, my deepest sympathy to you and your partner. Not just for the loss and destruction, but for all the agro you have to go through to sort it all out.

Can I recommend a shed alarm, at about £10-20, they're not Burglar proof, but they'd certainly give them a surprise. Also, a decent security light and some Berberis Bushes planted around the back shed should supply enough blood samples from the thorns. Also, my neighbours shed was done a few years ago, and they caught the Ned with a broken ankle lying in front of the shed. As he'd tried to run away, he forgot about the step at the shed door! Click!

Grow strong from this, as the perpetrators are cowards, with no creativity. They only know destruction, you know and practice "Creation".

Keep strong Jenny.

Andy

Once caught, the perpetrators should be made to serve an unlimited number of hours community service rebuilding your layout for you, thus teaching them essential life skills such as carpentry and soldering, thereby increasing their feeling of self-worth such that they are unlikely to offend again... On second thoughts, just cut their g**lies off.

I echo the suggestion of the RMWeb family helping you out Jenny. When you are ready just say the word; I'm sure I'm not the only RMWebber with all sorts of unmade kits, items of stock, track (etc), bought in a weak moment that will not otherwise ever see the light of day.

Hi Jenny,

Only just read your bad news
I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear this terrible news....

It honestly makes me so sad for the human race
I know there are worse things that can happen, in the bigger scheme
but to deliberately vandalise something that someone else has spent many many hours creating,
something which someone else derives so much pleasure from.....

.... well words fail me

John Betjemin, commenting on vandalism of an old railway coach
said "some people cannot stand to see something so well made,
because it makes them feel so inferior".....

Hope you plan something new - don't let them drum it out of you Jenny

Marc

I go along with LNER4479 and everyone else. Sorry to hear the news. I've just finished laying my track on my new layout and through "re-planning"(!) still have 5 yards of new Peco 75, 2 crossovers and a point (all boxed unused Electrofrog) to start getting you back up and running if it helps. Anyone can sell surplus kit on E-thingy, but this story just made me so cross that I'd rather it went where it could be useful.

Good Luck!

AAC

Once caught, the perpetrators should be made to serve an unlimited number of hours community service rebuilding your layout for you, thus teaching them essential life skills such as carpentry and soldering, thereby increasing their feeling of self-worth such that they are unlikely to offend again... On second thoughts, just cut their g**lies off.

I echo the suggestion of the RMWeb family helping you out Jenny. When you are ready just say the word; I'm sure I'm not the only RMWebber with all sorts of unmade kits, items of stock, track (etc), bought in a weak moment that will not otherwise ever see the light of day.

Sorry - I meant to say, free of charge!

AAC

I go along with LNER4479 and everyone else. Sorry to hear the news. I've just finished laying my track on my new layout and through "re-planning"(!) still have 5 yards of new Peco 75, 2 crossovers and a point (all boxed unused Electrofrog) to start getting you back up and running if it helps. Anyone can sell surplus kit on E-thingy, but this story just made me so cross that I'd rather it went where it could be useful.

Good Luck!

AAC

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps you guys in the UK need a "Shed Committee" to look at a standard for shed construction specifically for Model Railways. Most sheds are not planned with security in mind....

Best, Pete.

Great idea ,the building regulations over there are a nightmare and a committee such as this would help overcome most of it.

I keep talking about a grand shed when I find a decent property to buy but knowing me I'll end up throwing up a second third building and the extra yearly taxes that go with it.

Shaun

Hiya Jenny,

I've only just caught up with your very bad news.  I hope things can be recovered and it is not a total loss situation for you.  You must be distraught and you have my sincere sympathy.

Your news has given me pause.  I have been considering a shed for some time as the much lesser evil of either moving to a larger house or going up in the loft, these two latter being much more secure options if a lot more expensive though.  If I do proceed in a "shed direction", security will obviously be high on my list.

I buy the odd item from Maplins and several weeks ago now received one of their regular emails about their latest offers - one of which is described on this link and I thought good value

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ads-191-motion-alert-warning-security-camera-593901

You may also be considering installing machine gun towers and/or buying a large dog with big teeth and wiring the shed door handle to the mains overnight :-)

I hope you get all this behind you very soon.

Regards,

Brian

Not wishing to divert the topic or discourage anyone from having cctv, you need to check with your local police on positioning of cameras (privacy law issues) and also if the camera meets CPS standards for evidentiary quality. Most cctv sytems available to the general public, whilst giving a clear image, are not considered of sufficient quality for submission in a court of law.

• RMweb Gold

Not wishing to divert the topic or discourage anyone from having cctv, you need to check with your local police on positioning of cameras (privacy law issues) and also if the camera meets CPS standards for evidentiary quality. Most cctv sytems available to the general public, whilst giving a clear image, are not considered of sufficient quality for submission in a court of law.

Having a camera in place, with a few notices to ensure everyone is aware, is bound to dissuade all but the most determined criminal, though.

Archived