Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/15565-collectors-corner-graham-farish/?p=1223234

Yes, that is the Farish motor, contactor to the right, clutch to the left, the spring to make it stop on a live position bore against the wire eccentric that works the coil contacts. The coils are huge, and the motor runs on as little as a volt, up to 12volts without overheating, unless the magnets fail. The coils are wound star fashion, the end away from the contactor is wired to return via the other winding, reducing the current.

The Magnets were made at another factory near Bromley in Kent, where Farish were, Lowther Speakers, who held patents on making super strength magnets. Farish sold them electrical components, and Lowther sold them magnets, and my grandfather supplied the lorries to both companies!! Farish also had a factory at Tonbridge that made fibre board and electrical parts in plastic. Farish sold the fibre board to Wrenn to make their early 00 track.

If you had a Garrett with two of those motors in prime condition, it could pull anything.......

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog

....The Magnets were made at another factory near Bromley in Kent, where Farish were, Lowther Speakers, who held patents on making super strength magnets. Farish sold them electrical components, and Lowther sold them magnets....

Nowadays, would there be any advantage in using neodymium magnets?

The original was a cross the width 2 pole magnet made of a type of Alnico alloy. Lowther were, and are, still very secretive about the magnets, they still make the horn speakers to this day. Neodymium would work fine, with a  block magnet with poles on the faces, not the ends,

The original had the shaft through the middle, a copy would have to have a split shaft bonded to the magnet block to save drilling the magnet.

Not really a proposal for the Garrett though, far easier just to replace the Heljan with some thing better....

Stephen

I have been put off using Neos due to some horror stories and personal experience.  I have read and seen photos that due to their strength they cause wear very quickly in the bearings and some have had their coatings peel and wrap around the armature (photo from website not mine).

Personally I have had one cracked one, full length vertically in two in a Dublo Castle and another with a piece chipped off, I don't know where the piece ever went.

Now Neo's are replaced with the Alnico's and and remag when necessary.

Garry

post-22530-0-22096100-1463387150_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-94236400-1463387156_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-06035300-1463387163_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-80406200-1463387170_thumb.jpg

I have been put off using Neos due to some horror stories and personal experience.  I have read and seen photos that due to their strength they cause wear very quickly in the bearings and some have had their coatings peel and wrap around the armature (photo from website not mine).

Interesting.....

I am trying to fix a friends Garret.  Common story worked well then back motor seized.  Took it apart and the back motor ran after removing from drive train and spinning by hand to get it going.  OK in reverse but in forward mode a different story.  The body temp hit 56C and then it started to smoke so I shut it down.  Did not do 100mph equivalent!  So I guess I need two motors.  46256, you mention getting some motors from HK, would you mind posting your source and part number?  Also, I may have missed it but is the Mashima motor number referenced in this thread.  Thanks

I'm brand new to this hobby and need to ask is anyone has any idea of the minimum radius that this model loco will handle at its practical limit ?

Edited by Smileyjon

Good news then Garry as I am hoping to have a hidden double track which needs to fit within a 4 foot wide part of my planned (dreaming) baseboard.  I'm going to lay some test track . . . basically an oval with a few mixed wiggly bits and points in the middle sections and also check for overhang.  Have you had any problems over assorted point mixes ?

Many thanks for that

Jon

Jon, I only use Peco Streamline 3' and curved points on the lines the Garratt will traverse.  I have 2' for the goods yard but the Garratt is not for shunting although if it goes around 3rd radius it will do 2'.  All my track is Peco so I cannot comment on others makes.  Obviously there are no overhang issues for me and there should not be with the Garratt anyway.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

I think I'm all sorted thanks Garry.  Found the Garratt's minimum radius to be officially 17.25 ins (old money) but as I'm not going that tight I should be okay.  I'm using Peco code 75 and I'm making up some cardboard curve templates and laying the 'test' oval just to be sure all is well.  Playing with the various sound effects . . . not sure why it has birdsong . . . . but hey, what the heck !

All the best

Jon

Edited by Smileyjon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

the mashima were the 10/20 flat can with 1.5 mm shaft...the hk motors were from a link on a post on this site....some posts ago now   ..    best wishes brian

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I cannot for the life of me find out where to buy these things....anyone help please

Rgds......Mike

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I cannot for the life of me find out where to buy these things....anyone help please

Rgds......Mike

There should be a mention of the source earlier in this thread under my name; I'm going out now but will re-post later.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Rgds......Mike

Have you tried Ebay?   Scalelinkbob has various Mashima motors for sale.

My little motors arrived today. They fit nicely although the shaft may be a tad too long. Tested the motors out of the loco, start up smoothly and seem to have plenty of torque. Also looks like it may be a nice motor to fit high up in a boiler.

Img_1829640_zps30219e2b.jpg

The 40mm ones do fit

Edit the 40mm refers to the motor and shaft length

Edited by bigherb

I got my Mashimas from a German source located via e-bay.  FYI, I am currently in a resolution dispute with an electric motor supplier at Ali Baba.  So far not to impressed.  Not as good as Amazon.  Fortunately not much money involved.

Except most of those are 3V motors and the 12V one is 40mm long which may not fit.

Regards

Don't take too much notice of the voltage rating - they are all listed as Model N60-2535 and are the same motor !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I went back to the original post,  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42598-Heljan-beyer-garratt/page-70&do=findComment&comment=1669016    the motor on offer there was a 12V 40mm and as stated above the 40mm includes the shaft so it is actually a 30mm motor. I also pulled mine out of the box to double check, not been used yet.

If using Mashima motors I would recommend the 1025 rather than the 1020 on the basis that it has more torque and the 25mm body is able to use both original O ring fittings, the 1020 is just to short to fit the second ring. You will need to cut a couple of mm off the rear shaft extension though.

Regards