Scottish Region photos 1980's

thanks flood, i thought they were - using a TSOT and possibly the ex E-G 'spare' p-p set?

EDIT: found a pic i was thinking of and it's the spare p-p set + DBSO on edin-inv july 1984 - no mk 2c CK, but i think a 2d TSOT might have appeared later?

Hi Keefer/Flood

The 1984 "Jacobite" service - 13.03 x Edin-Inverness was P/P operated using a Blue/Grey Mk2 set, in competition to bus services.

HTH

Ken

• Like 2

Thanks for the BG info. That pic of the BG with the ScotRail logo at the far left hand end is on the scot-rail.co.uk website and I modelled it, have been waiting two years to find the right number, will teach me not to ask here.

Scotrail logo with the smaller r. There's a pic of Mk 2e 5852 here http://80srail.zenfo...f13e0#h10cf13e0

plus a pic of a model of 5852 in November 2012 Rail Express Modeller.

One of the Mk3s with a rail blue scotrail stripe is 12019.

Steven

Hmm - I ask the questions - you get the answers - that's another "pint" I'm due - how many's that now - I've lost count ;-)) lol

BTW there's also a photo off this BG with the "Duke" on page 111 of BR at Work (ScotRail) dated Sept 85, although the no is not readable.

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

found these after mention in another thread tonight:

number of the BG is not visible, but it has 'ScotRail' at the far lhs.

with 47711 on live aid day, 13/7/85 : http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackwatch55013/5547982379/in/set-72157624171966416/

with 47716 on 15/7/85 : http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackwatch55013/5547983287/in/set-72157624171966416/

found these after mention in another thread tonight:

number of the BG is not visible, but it has 'ScotRail' at the far lhs.

with 47711 on live aid day, 13/7/85 : http://www.flickr.co...57624171966416/

with 47716 on 15/7/85 : http://www.flickr.co...57624171966416/

Those two photos are the week after I was there. So near yet so far, one week earlier I would have had which loco was on which stock.

I have on video, a push-pull leaving Dundee southbound in about 1988 or 89. DBSO leading with what I thought odd at the time, a Mk3 sleeper ahead of the loco, was this an empty being worked from Aberdeen to Edinburgh, and was it a regular thing.

Merf.

Yes it was regular from May 1986 to May 1990 (actually going to Glasgow not Edinburgh). The Mk3 Sleeper for Aberdeen was worked with the Inverness Sleeper as far as Perth on the 23.30 off Queen Street and then was attached to a push-pull set for the 01.10 Perth - Aberdeen. There was no return Sleeper working from Aberdeen so it was attached to the 11.05 push-pull off Aberdeen to work back to Queen Street.

It was therefore a five day circuit: Edin - Inv, Inv - Glas, Glas - Aber (and return), Glas - Inv, Inv - Edin.

Out of interest can you see the side of the sleeper? I have been reliably informed that they were branded "ScotRail Sleeper" but I have never seen a photo to prove this.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

Yes it was regular from May 1986 to May 1990 (actually going to Glasgow not Edinburgh). The Mk3 Sleeper for Aberdeen was worked with the Inverness Sleeper as far as Perth on the 23.30 off Queen Street and then was attached to a push-pull set for the 01.10 Perth - Aberdeen. There was no return Sleeper working from Aberdeen so it was attached to the 11.05 push-pull off Aberdeen to work back to Queen Street.

It was therefore a five day circuit: Edin - Inv, Inv - Glas, Glas - Aber (and return), Glas - Inv, Inv - Edin.

Out of interest can you see the side of the sleeper? I have been reliably informed that they were branded "ScotRail Sleeper" but I have never seen a photo to prove this.

The coach in Blue/grey was branded InterCity Sleeper and the rest of the train in Scotrail livery,including 4770?

Merf.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

great pics andy, thanks for posting them!

HAAs with canopies through waverley

27007 providing a good prototype for a straight-out-of-the box model

27107 at the back of a p-p rake, with the BSO reversed (note you can see the blue-star control jumper parked on the end of the BSO, presumably the one on the loco's other side is connected - i think only one jumper was needed?)

27111 casts a cutting glance at the fancy new push-pull while she gets on with a train of mk1s - what would this service be, carlisle perhaps?

(EDIT: just noticed the signal to the right - would this be a 'back' indicator for longer trains past the signal?)

great stuff! not that fancy perhaps, but the bread'n'butter that was so often ignored

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2

(just noticed the signal to the right - would this be a 'back' indicator for longer trains past the signal?)

Maybe it was provided more for the benefit of PW staff? The signal in question, E471, could clear for either track "W" or "X" (the two southernmost) through the Mound tunnel, according to the signalling notice here (I'm sure you've seen these since you've referred to them in other posts). Any train standing past the signal would be foul of crossover 144 and a track circuit would presumably lock the signal at danger ... and the aspect isn't repeated forward (or do I mean backwards?), only the route, so not much use to train crew - they already know which track they're heading for as soon as they enter the crossover ?

• RMweb Premium

thanks graham, forgot about the diagram!

the key on the rhs of the 1976 diagram has the indicator as a double-sided 'R' indicator, showing the driver "that guard's signal to start has been given."

perhaps at that time it was a simple 'R' for the right-away, later modified to confirm the route to be taken? (although, as you say, there was only one route available maybe the way the gubbins worked meant it would show that anyway)

Edited by keefer

I have recently scanned and loaded to Flickr a few of my Scottish photos.

These 3 were taken on a 6 day trip with BR work colleagues in 1983

post-7081-0-00618400-1350054770_thumb.jpg

20089 stabled in Ayr TMD, 20/6/83

post-7081-0-60091600-1350054801_thumb.jpg

20063 and 20156 pass Newton Junction en-route from Ayr Harbour to the TMD, 20/6/83

post-7081-0-76041300-1350054822_thumb.jpg

The 16.15 Ayr - Glasgow Central approaches Newton-on-Ayr, 52013,59567,51988, 20/6/83

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 9

• 2 months later...

There are a couple of threads in the past which have mentioned the ScotRail sleeper services and I have previously stated that I had not seen photographic evidence that the blue and grey Mk3a sleepers used on the internal Scottish workings carried this legend.

Just trawling through flickr today for Aberdeen sleeper photos found this little gem: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N02/5224645894/

There are a couple of threads in the past which have mentioned the ScotRail sleeper services and I have previously stated that I had not seen photographic evidence that the blue and grey Mk3a sleepers used on the internal Scottish workings carried this legend.

Just trawling through flickr today for Aberdeen sleeper photos found this little gem: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N02/5224645894/

ohhh if only to find out what number that sleeper was!!

ohhh if only to find out what number that sleeper was!!

The initial batch allocated for the internal services were 10576 - 10579, which were originally based at Inverness, with 10581 and 10609 being added to the ScotRail pool a few months later. As 10578 was one of the test bed coaches for ScotRail livery (and later repainted executive) it is a pretty safe bet that the coach in question could be any of 10576, 10577 or 10579 and possibly 10581 or 10609.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

re: the 107 with working blinds, found another one

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan1960/5587941083/

although only at one end! from the next pic in the set, the DMBS has it painted out as normal.

was actually looking for a different pic on flickr (i even commented on it) but d'you think i can find the ffing thing???(it's in one of my favourites too)

found what i think is the one i was thinking of.......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5796902106/in/set-72157626883018698/

i take it 107 033 became 107 733 as it is defo the same DMS (going by various marks on the front end)

found what i think is the one i was thinking of.......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5796902106/in/set-72157626883018698/

i take it 107 033 became 107 733 as it is defo the same DMS (going by various marks on the front end)

Hi all

The class 107 DMS(L) in question with the uncovered head code box was no. 52012. It ran around for several years in this condition. I have no idea whether the blinds could be changed though!

52012 was a late survivor in the 107 fleet, lasting in service until around 1992, and had a brief departmental career in one of the three class 107 Sandite units. As far as I know it is now preserved, but not restored.

Cheers

Tom

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for thinking about me, I actually stumbled upon the same photo myself and posted a link in post#439. Just goes to show that we both found it when we were looking for something completely different!

• 3 months later...

Nice photographs Peter, the first one looks like Perth but when - and where is the second one just out of interest? Jim

Second photo is Inverness, with the original Eastgate shopping centre behind which opened in the early 80s. The 47 is standing on what is now the extension to the Eastgate which opened about 10 years ago on the site of the South yard; the Eastgate carpark was built on the site of the roundhouse.

Edited by Bon Accord

The photo of 47593 at Inverness reminded me of this photo of mine - does anybody fancy taking a guess at the location?

Here is 47593 in ScotRail, red stipe livery, in 1989, somewhere on the Scottish Region:

post-6409-0-59815200-1384426495.jpg

Happy guessing!

Tom.

• Like 1