Scottish Region photos 1980's

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just put Dad's photos of Scots 37s and his log book entries made on a brief trip to Scotland, from Oxford, in 1985, into an album in my RMweb gallery - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4205-scotland-1985-by-john-sutters/

The 37s are the ones shown above, but I noticed that there were other logs in the thread, so I scanned and uploaded his, in case they were of interest here. It made sense to keep all the related material together.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

21028681022.JPG

81022 reverses the ECS of the Cardiff-Glasgow service out of Glasgow Central on a wintry 210286. The "fish" is about to cross the Clyde

the rivers whos legend of a salmon leaping with a ring in its mouth was applied as Shields/Motherwell depot badge of honour as seen on 81022 here...

NR

Edited by Southof1E top tmd
  • Like 13

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Continuing the Snowy theme:

post-89-0-58132500-1516658894_thumb.jpg

Elderslie No 2 Box

post-89-0-41471300-1516658978_thumb.jpg

Kilmacolm train taking the flying junction.

Taken from Elderslie No 2 Box.

post-89-0-50283200-1516659096_thumb.jpg

Paisley Gilmour St/Wallneuk Junction. Cl 37 probably heading from Clydeport Container Terminal. Normally, there would have been empties in/fulls out, but sometimes there were no fulls to remove and the empties would be left for next time.

More to follow as time permits.

Regards

Ian

Edit to correct captions

Edited by Ian Smeeton
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

More from Elderslie.

I was standing on the embankment taking a few photos, then ventured down a bit closer to the action.

The signalman shouted "What are you up to?", so I told him I would like to take a few photos, would that be OK?

"Come on up into the box, then".

Different times, and very welcome too.

post-89-0-65781700-1517091826_thumb.jpg

Signalling diagram. Sadly, not quite in view was the last G & SWR lower quadrant signal in use at the time. I did take a photograph of it, however, that batch of negatives is now lost.

post-89-0-30473800-1517091917_thumb.jpg

Block Instruments

post-89-0-67267700-1517091971_thumb.jpg

Addition to the lever frame

post-89-0-73690700-1517092417_thumb.jpg

37 on tanks from the Canal Line

post-89-0-68386100-1517092471_thumb.jpg

Than it ran round

post-89-0-03583000-1517092536_thumb.jpg

47 passing through light engine

post-89-0-43851400-1517092650_thumb.jpg

I may well have been the subject under discussion.

post-89-0-09283300-1517092755_thumb.jpg

Then a 40 on empty Cartics. Linwood had not long closed a s a car factory, but new cars were still being delivered to Elderslie for onward distribution

post-89-0-65924300-1517092849_thumb.jpg

....and departing

There are a few more to add.

Regards

Ian

• Like 17

More from Elderslie.

I was standing on the embankment taking a few photos, then ventured down a bit closer to the action.

The signalman shouted "What are you up to?", so I told him I would like to take a few photos, would that be OK?

There are a few more to add.

Regards

Ian

Nice photos, and a nice story.

A similar thing happened to me at Warrington one day and I was invited into the box, (I worked for BR at the time, but the signalman did not know that)

cheers 

Thanks for the pics of Elderslie . One of my favourite locations as it was not far from where I lived and there was also a model of it in the 70s

Part of Renfrewshires superb trio "Elderslie", "Greenock Princes Pier" and "St Enoch", I would love to see photographs of those layouts.  With regard to the prototype, I always thought that it was the daftest decision to close the Canal Line, it should have been kept even if the Kilmacolm branch had to go.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Part of Renfrewshires superb trio "Elderslie", "Greenock Princes Pier" and "St Enoch", I would love to see photographs of those layouts.  With regard to the prototype, I always thought that it was the daftest decision to close the Canal Line, it should have been kept even if the Kilmacolm branch had to go.

Jim

I’d love to see pics too Jim . I fondly remember these layouts from Model Rail Scotland and the local exhibition at Paisley Town Hall. I think all three could be joined up . I never did see that but I did see Greenock Princes Pier and St Enoch joined up. I think it would have been the early eighties as I remember the then New Lima dmu making an appearance . 30 years on and we are still waiting for a proper class 116, instead of 117s.

Yes shutting the Kilmalcolm line was madness . Then building over the trackbed between Paisley and Elderslie plain daft, especially when they had to spend money tripling the Shields Road to Arkleston section a few years ago . Electrifying the canal line, all the way to Elderslie would have saved that . Could have diverted some Ayr, Ardrossan and Largs trains that way.

• RMweb Premium

I agree re closing Kilmacolm and the Canal line, particularly as most of it had to be left for trains to Hawkhead Oil Terminal. Reopening and electrification was a bonus, but a great pity that they built immediately beyond Paisley Canal stopping any further progress.

One from Corkerhill from a passing train.

post-89-0-92631800-1517174346_thumb.jpg

I only went to Corkerhill a coupe of times, but they seemed to be very welcoming there.

I was once offered a trip from there to Motherwell in the cab of a Class 40, however parental consent was not given, mainly because it would have meant a very late finish on a Sunday evening, and Monday was a school day. Different times, eh?

Pity, I had bever been down the 'Khyber Pass' as the line from Shields to Polmadie was known, I believe.

Regards

Ian

• Like 5

More from Elderslie.

I always found that despite being English - Scottish railways staff were always the friendliest and most willing to give access to sheds / depots etc ....... even got shown round Eastfield by the Depot Manager in '77 and left with a present of a handful of ED depot allocation stickers too.

• Like 3

I must get round to re-scanning my stuff, my old site still exists on the wayback machine, but the size of the photos reflects the dial-up age of web design https://web.archive.org/web/20040406062129/http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk:80/contents.htm  a few of the links are broken, the site was hacked and had to be dismantled after complaints of viruses being transmitted, this version is clean though.

Jim

• Like 1

Not many sites to beat that Jim,

You've enough material on there to do a book.

Ian, That shot at Gilmour St is exactly as I remember them, daring your pals to see how close to the heat and noise you could get.

Mark

Not many sites to beat that Jim,

You've enough material on there to do a book.

Ian, That shot at Gilmour St is exactly as I remember them, daring your pals to see how close to the heat and noise you could get.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I must get round to re-scanning my stuff, my old site still exists on the wayback machine, but the size of the photos reflects the dial-up age of web design https://web.archive.org/web/20040406062129/http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk:80/contents.htm  a few of the links are broken, the site was hacked and had to be dismantled after complaints of viruses being transmitted, this version is clean though.

Jim

Great pictures Jim, thoroughly enjoyed browsing . Then I happened upon your link to Northbridge , wow even better. Love the layout. Lots of Glaswegian atmosphere

Thanks Guys, I have about seven or eight card index boxes full of photographs taken between 1981 and about 1995, keep telling myself that I need to get scanning these but other things get in the way.

Jim

You do, Jim. No pressure, but you do.  :jester:

Good to see this thread still alive and well.

• RMweb Premium

Stranraer, today.

post-89-0-54565900-1517348654_thumb.jpg

First, a view of the box. I was trying out my new wide angle lens.

post-89-0-60898600-1517348714_thumb.jpg

As I had the Station Sopervisor from Gilmour St wit me that day, we managed to blag our way into the box. Token machine

post-89-0-92940200-1517348785_thumb.jpg

Frame & signalling diagram.

post-89-0-51042400-1517348905_thumb.jpg

Frame.

post-89-0-82962600-1517348955_thumb.jpg

The stock for our return journey being propelled into the station

post-89-0-82082700-1517349021_thumb.jpg

25 shuffling GUVs around the station and environs

Some of these slides have faded a bit, but it was 35 years ago.

More to come

Regards

Ian

Edited to correct caption

Edited by Ian Smeeton
  • Like 8