DCC Circuit Breakers

Steven B

• RMweb Premium

Hi.

I'm looking at spliting my layout into power districts and have identified four suitable sections to split the layout into (up & down lines, exchange sidings/branchline & point control). So far, so good.

However, what I'm less sure about is which of the many circuit breaker modules available are worth looking at. So far I've found the following:

DCC Specialties PSX-1 or Power Sheild X

NCE EB 1

Digitrax PM42

MERG BCO1

Are there any more I should be looking at? Based on price alone the MERG or NCE modules would be the ones to go for but how well do they work?

I use a Digitrax control system but as far as I'm aware any manufacturers circuit breaker module will function as required.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

Hi.

I'm looking at spliting my layout into power districts and have identified four suitable sections to split the layout into (up & down lines, exchange sidings/branchline & point control). So far, so good.

However, what I'm less sure about is which of the many circuit breaker modules available are worth looking at. So far I've found the following:

DCC Specialties PSX-1 or Power Sheild X

NCE EB 1

Digitrax PM42

MERG BCO1

Are there any more I should be looking at? Based on price alone the MERG or NCE modules would be the ones to go for but how well do they work?

I use a Digitrax control system but as far as I'm aware any manufacturers circuit breaker module will function as required.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi

I can't comment on the others but I have a pair of the NCE EB3s (basically three EB1s on one PCB) and these work perfectly on my layout.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Electronic breakers beat relay-operation ones every time. You might want to read this review of the PSX, which as far as I am aware, has yet to be improved upon. Successfully resetting with 10 sound-equipped locos in section is as good as I can imagine it needs to get for most of us.

http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/powershield_x_mrreview.htm

• RMweb Gold

Don't think the BCO-1 is currently available as a kit from MERG, it's being redesigned as it din't work too well with some commercial systems.

Works great with the Powercab though, I have two on Summat Colliery splitting the two scenic boards into two sections with the DCC feeds to the accessory decoders fed directly from the booster. If I get a short I can still change the points :)

if you can get someone to etch the pcbs for you and source the rest of the components. Mike B at MERG might even program the PICs for you if you ask him nicely.

Another one is the DCC Specialties OG-CB, but this only trips at around 4.5A so is only useful for command stations supplying 5A or more, which some Digitrax ones don't. The PSX and the EB1 have adjustable trips that can be set to a lower current - don't know about the others. Also be aware that a circuit breaker may defeat an auto-reverser by tripping out first. Either get a breaker with adjustable trip time and/or current, or (if your reverser includes a breaker function) feed the reverser directly from the command station without going through the breaker.

I've recently installed two EB1s and for some reason a short near the (Lenz) command station and the EB1s will sometimes trip the command station first, whereas a short over the far side only ever trips the relevant EB1.

I've also been following the MERG BCO-1 saga. It appears that ESU command stations trip so fast that no breaker is able to trip first enough, so power districts on an ESU system can only be done with boosters. Having established this the MERG people are now looking to re-design and simplify the BCO-1 so it may be some time before it appears as a kit.

• RMweb Premium

I'm another fan of the PSX.

We have two PSX and an older Tony's Trains module.

Only problem occurs if a loco or DMU with multiple pickups is bridging sections between PSX feeds. Sometimes the diversification of the trip current via two PSX's means that the main command station will trip instead. Potential solution may be to lower the default trip value of the PSX.

As Beast says, the older Tony's Trains version needs a manual reset on occasion, especially as it feeds the storage yard which may have up to a dozen sound fitted units in there.

Cheers,

Mick

I have a PSX-1 on Whitemarsh and it works very well indeed. My choice was based on it having a solid-state switch, and the fact that it was one of the few where I could set the trip current low enough for a single Powercab. Very handy thing to have for a small layout when your points are running off the same output as the trains, although a switch in the track bus is a decent budget alternative.

Cheers,

Will

From what Mike was saying last Monday at the club there is still work ongoing with the MERG ones.

I know all about the ESU cutout from the Dynamis which also has the issue and a car light bulb was employed there instead!

I think Mike was looking at a test board to stick on our goods yard on the layout to avoid issues on the mainlines if someone hits a crossing. We don't have the accessories issue as those use MERG CBUS.

Possibly worth getting the PSX1 one for now which is the best electronic one i've seen.

Archived