RMweb

James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

Thanks for the reply James, I've enjoyed doing the wagons,  I tried using Metalcote polished steel for the buffers as per the Martyn Welch Weathering book but I feel it doesn't look quite right. I'll look forward to seeing the Barbels. 

Very nice Class 47's, I'm building up to weathering a loco! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, James Makin said:

Some shiny red 56s this week!

51917608856_e8fdbe54b2_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Joining the fleet today are EWS red 56s, 56069 Wolverhampton Steel Terminal and 56094 Eggborough Power Station

51916638132_96b3001c34_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Based on the outgoing Hornby model, these two workhorses are represented in late 1998 condition, and looking resplendent in their freshly-applied EWS livery. 

The starting point was the Hornby's 56103 release, with a couple picked up many years ago and pugged away for a rainy day...

51918224545_c1cbb728d3_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

First, the EWS lettering and numbering was removed from the side, gently scratching away with a curve-bladed scalpel to remove the sheen from the red printing before applying some Humbrol enamel thinners with a cotton bud to finish off the rest, which luckily came off without going through the EWS gold stripe beneath. 

51918222545_63e6ce1b56_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Other modifications were added at this stage too - only minimal ones as luckily the donor models matched the prototype very well. 56094 had a few changes, including a square Replica Railways headlight added over the original round version, along with the two-piece front handrails. Finally, the cab roof aerials were changed to match the mix of 'T' and inverted 'V' mounts found on the real thing. 

51918220750_abd34b0994_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Having applied Railtec's pre-made EWS lettering and number decals, and Fox's etched nameplates, the locos were sealed in with matt varnish and subjected to the usual weathering processes, aided by the fantastic Phoebe Green.

51917602006_3a4424acf5_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

The locos were reassembled, with drivers added in each of the forward-facing cabs, and the 'rear' end fitted with a 0.45mm wire loop to connect to tension-lock-equipped wagons for hauling trains around. 

51917601486_005f6ee5d1_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Chassis weathering is a mix of greys and browns, airbrushed over with track dirt and brake dust. 

51917926194_8fc9f52ead_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

The names on these locos are one of the main attractions that's made them be on my long-term 'to model' list, and the no-frills industrial names are exactly the kind of name that the old-school enthusiasts love to hate! 

51917600901_76ee021954_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

The subtle differences between the ends of 56069 and 56094 can be seen to good effect below, and also of interest is that '094 at some stage lost it's famous 'Grid' sitting below the bufferbeam!

51917925304_a79adfc8e3_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

56094 Eggborough Power Station has long been a favourite as it featured on an old VHS video of Toton depot getting a big works overhaul and painted out of Trainload Coal colours into the beautiful new, then-current EWS livery, and being re-united with its nameplates.

The video even showed how EWS applied the real life nameplates using a chalked plumb-line, my young self always wondered how they got them fixed straight, especially when so heavy, it's hard enough in model form!

Then seeing the loco in real life was almost like one of those celebrity-wow moments, I have got to model this..!

51916628187_b14487c76a_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

One other interesting detail difference on 56094 was the little raised square part on the secondman's cab sides, these were made from offcuts of thin styrene added to the sides and painted over.

51917693003_88414bf97b_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Finishing touches to the loco included drybrushing some Humbrol Metalcote gunmetal over the bogies and cantrail roof grilles, and once dry, giving a gentle rub with a cotton bud to highlight a sheen over the raised edges. 

51917692438_817326be28_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

51917691208_ecdfbc497f_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

It's always fun to look into the fortunes of the real life locos to see what's happened to them after having 'preserved' them in late '90s condition in model form, and what happens next is normally gloomy reading. Both locos however have had a really interesting few years, with Lady Luck on their side - after being casualties of EWS's infamous 'Big Switch-off' of early 2004, both locos were given a reprieve and sent to France to work as part of the 'Fertis' fleet, each given repaints in the white livery for their contract to work on the LGV construction project.

After returning home from France, the locos were both stored and ended up at EMR's Kingsbury scrap yard in 2012-2013, before parting ways - 56094 becoming part of the Colas Railfreight fleet and wearing the well-known yellow, orange and black colours, whilst 56069 has just become a fully-fledged celebrity, having been rebuilt as Class 69 No. 69004 and outshopped in GBRf's homage to  the BR Technical Research red & blue livery. Happy days!

51917690403_8424963d47_k.jpg56069 and 56094 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Overall, another great fun project to do, getting these locos out of their boxes after so many years sitting in the stock cupboard awaiting attention! Their future will now be hauling some heavy steel trains through my layout!

Cheers,

James

Very nice James! I too had 'Toton: The Works' on VHS and enjoyed it as a child, and also found the overhaul of 56094 to be a highlight!

Must get the DVD version at some point....

Cameron 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, James Makin said:

56094 Eggborough Power Station has long been a favourite as it featured on an old VHS video of Toton depot getting a big works overhaul and painted out of Trainload Coal colours into the beautiful new, then-current EWS livery, and being re-united with its nameplates.

The video even showed how EWS applied the real life nameplates using a chalked plumb-line, my young self always wondered how they got them fixed straight, especially when so heavy, it's hard enough in model form!

Then seeing the loco in real life was almost like one of those celebrity-wow moments, I have got to model this..!

Very nice James! I too had 'Toton: The Works' on VHS and enjoyed it as a child, and also found the overhaul of 56094 to be a highlight!

Cameron 

Edited by Mophead45143

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2022 at 18:16, Mophead45143 said:

Cameron 

It was a great video, one of those that certainly got watched many times over, back in the day! I got a DVD version for a previous Christmas and it was fun re-watching, some 20 years on the highlights now are the number of moustaches that featured in those interviewed :lol:

On 04/03/2022 at 20:07, Rich Papper said:

Fantastic work as ever James well done. Wondering if you've had time to sleep in the last few months though!

Rich

Haha, thanks very much Rich! Definitely the secret I found was the short sharp bursts of activity! I started these 40 locos in January 2021 knowing it'd be a long project but thought I might've been finished by Summer, had no idea it might be a year-long quest! 

In the Summer months with the early morning daylight I even remember a few times waking up too early before work and making use of the spare time to put some weathering washes on a few 47s, it felt strangely productive to arrive at work already having achieved something, I do recommend it !

On 04/03/2022 at 21:21, rob D2 said:

Super stuff . You win the award for most diesels upgraded in lock down !

Cheers Rob! It's an obscure award but I'll take it :lol: I didn't even plan to do a full 40 locos at the start, it just kind of grew as the months went by in a "oh well I'm spraying triple grey colours on these 37s, so I may as well spray up these 60s at the same time..." kind of thing and before you know it, it's getting out of hand!

On 08/03/2022 at 12:13, greg81 said:

This is a magic thread! I have my eye on a Hornby class 60 and Bachmann 47 because of this!

Thank you very much, I'm trying to make an effort to keep the Contents page on Page 1 semi-updated to so it can help navigation, there is a lot of filth buried within! The 60s and 47 models are very addictive it has to be said, once the exhibitions are fully back to normal it's a good place to pick them up, there are often good bargains to be had nestled amongst the stands to help grow the collection! All 100 Class 60s has got to be a pretty good number to end up with eventually :lol:

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Go on James, tell us, how big is your fleet ?

Haha that is the rather embarrassing part! I've got a spreadsheet going of just super-detailed, weathered, finished locomotives that's currently standing at 157 locos so far! Taking out the Wells Green TMD overhead electrics and stuff made for Loftus Road, the pure diesel Didcot Parkway fleet is just over 130 finished locos (including HSTs) at the moment. I must stress that most of the items were bought at knock-off values, be it secondhand wrecks, cheapy Martell's show offers or deals with friends, rather than anything bought for today's eye-watering prices!

I've haven't included counting things like the box-fresh RTR locos or DMUs stashed or the various wagon rakes/coaching stock completed so far but it is a little bit scary keeping a record of it all! The fiddle yard on Didcot Parkway is quite decently-sized but already wondering if I should just build a second, bolt-on one just like the Mostyn layout :lol:

Cheers,

James

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Nice collection !

I live in hope " Didcot "will just appear in finished form one day on these pages ( with a suitable europop backing ;))

Cheers Rob! It definitely will do, I'm making better progress now, the second batch of Tim Horn baseboards arrived the other month and I've been working through them, this sneaky peek of the latest board below will be part of the back fiddle yard. 

image.jpg.2b16b72f278d8a15d1dd3adbcf91cf19.jpg

It's made up of 4ft x 3ft boards all round with an extra add-on scenic section at the front to give a 4.5ft depth to give some good foreground and a bit of extra Didcot beyond the station confines itself...essentially any excuse to model the Station Road and the Julian's Ford dealership with a selection of period late '90s Fords parked up too :lol:

Cheers,

James

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 11/03/2022 at 21:59, NickL2008 said:

Nice work on these James, I think Ive messed up my 58016 in EW&S, tryed to experiement with the shade of red used but not happy with it so think a complete strip and repaint is on the cards :unsure:

NL

Cheers Nick, shame to hear about your 58 experimentations there, I am sure it will end up much better once you've had a go at it! Could always do it up as 58033 which at one stage had the side doors awesomely mixed up .."&WES" :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James Makin said:

Cheers Nick, shame to hear about your 58 experimentations there, I am sure it will end up much better once you've had a go at it! Could always do it up as 58033 which at one stage had the side doors awesomely mixed up .."&WES" :lol:

Hi James - must of read my mind haha! I think ill give it a go.. 

My experiment was based on the fact - is the Presicion shade of "EW&S" too dark? I did debate it with a few others and it seemed non conclusive, ill post up the result .. I mixed in some RES red into the mixture to see how it dried, I think its definatley helped with the shade of Red, but I think may of put too much in possibly

NL

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

@James Makin I am sure you have done a few EWS liveried 58s previously, interested as to whether it needed the gold stripe repainting.  I have the original Heljan release as 58047, but cant find a photo of it working on the Fawley - Plymouth fuel (that being the only hope I ever have of justifying a 58).  Fortunatly I know it did at least once make it to Plymouth on this working, thanks to the detail logs on Taunton-Trains.co.uk which list it as having been used for the first time on the service in September 99 (although this is slightly too late for me being after the FGW takeover).

I think when I did my Mainline Grey 58 the numbers were a swine to remove (thats the only logic I can think of as to why I resprayed the cab sides).  I quite fancy another EW&S branded loco so a renumber is tempting, but I cant be bothered with respraying the gold stripe.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers guys!

Some great points there, so far I've tended to use Phoenix's EWS shades without changing whenever I've done a respray, it's a tricky one as the EWS colours do seem to change quite a lot dependant on the light when you look at the model, natural light makes them look quite dark, but then put them under warm layout lighting or in the lightbox and they take on a brighter shade!

The weathering can also play a part, washes over the top can lighten or darken them if needed too, I'd be interested in your experiments to find a modified shade!

When it comes to the gold stripe I must say so far where I have repainted one it's mainly down to having bad luck in taking the old branding off and it not always going to plan! Once the weathering goes on they all so far have looked a reasonable enough shade to my eyes that it's not caused me to think that they stand out just as yet, even the bright yellow striping on the first batch of Hornby 60s tones down well under a coat of varnish and weathering etc it seems. 

It's too late for my modelling period but a great fun challenge would be modelling some of the faded EWS shades, such as that seen on some of today's surviving 66s or the Toton scrapline 60s which would be an amazing backdrop to a modern depot scene!

I'm planning to be at Ally Pally tomorrow, first show in 2 years! If anyone sees a dodgy looking character sniffing around for tatty old bargain locos then that'll probably be me :lol:

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, James Makin said:

I'm planning to be at Ally Pally tomorrow, first show in 2 years! If anyone sees a dodgy looking character sniffing around for tatty old bargain locos then that'll probably be me :lol:

Cheers,

James

Come and say hi, will be on the Demu stand all day.

(and hands off any tatty old class 20s as I really need a cheap 20 to provide a chassis for my 20/3)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

32 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Cool! Same for me and rather looking forward to it :) (Although i'm hoping for tatty DMUs though.... I have too many locos tbh). Enjoy your day!

• Funny 1

That’s a lot of work and a great description.

I think nostalgia wise , your idea of “ not much happening “ summed up many peoples experiences ! It easy to don the old rose coloured glasses too often and imagine it was busier than it was.

IIRC EWS needed 450 locos a day before a lot of their work was poached away so you are 1/3 of the way or thereabouts !

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Isn't it great to be back! I've a backlog of loco updates coming... 

On 20/03/2022 at 09:00, rob D2 said:

That’s a lot of work and a great description.

I think nostalgia wise , your idea of “ not much happening “ summed up many peoples experiences ! It easy to don the old rose coloured glasses too often and imagine it was busier than it was.

IIRC EWS needed 450 locos a day before a lot of their work was poached away so you are 1/3 of the way or thereabouts !

Cheers Rob! I've always been keen to put across my reality of trainspotting and I never knew whether it was just my bad luck, or life was largely dull for everyone..! 😄

Most of my visits to Didcot were at weekends as part of visiting relatives, and so that often meant many a Sunday afternoon there, smack bang in the middle of some engineering works! There was frequently that disappointment when you walked down to the station and noticed the HSTs were creeping by very slowly through the station and it turned out there was a possession on, or worse still, nothing running at all! 

I remember an entertaining Sunday in January 2003, a sunny but bitterly cold afternoon, no services running and just a trio of red '66's stabled in the sidings, and the only movement was on the Down Fast at the Eastern end of the station, where a group of engineers had a rail-mounted mobile digger and a trolley with an open box on top of it, they tried to use the digger to lift up the box over the fence into the adjacent car park/hard standing, but didn't lift it high enough and ended up demolishing the concrete posts & chainlink fence in the process! 🤣 The concrete posts remained limp & broken for a good while after that! I do wonder if anyone senior noticed or whether they just thought, "quick, lets get out of here and hope no one saw it!"

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1