James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

Hi James. Saw your 92 in the Accurascale topic and then bought the new Simon Bendall bookazine and have been reading through many of your old posts. You will have inspired so many people to try weathering and brought back many happy memories of locos in the past. Thanks and look forward to seeing more of your work :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well done on getting your work in the Modelling 90's loco's bookazine, I always knew your stuff was worth seeing in print. Just waiting for the book to come out now 😉

As said above you've inspired many people, myself included, to have a go at weathering and detailing. Your style and photo's make it easy to understand and follow. I'm looking forward to the next project 👍

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

On 09/07/2022 at 13:50, D6775 said:

Fantastic work on the 87's as always. Fancy having a go at something 7mm??

Haha, that is an interesting thought! I always get too ambitious so I think I'd need a giant barn for the layouts I'd want to create or the income of Pete Waterman to keep up..! 🤣

Mind you with Heljan's models sometimes being discounted I have lusted after the concept of having a model of my favourite Class 60 just sitting on the mantlepiece as a display! A giant 60038 Bidean Nam Bian all bulled up in Trainload Metals would be rather fun! 😎

On 11/07/2022 at 10:34, aeroplane said:

Hi James. Saw your 92 in the Accurascale topic and then bought the new Simon Bendall bookazine and have been reading through many of your old posts. You will have inspired so many people to try weathering and brought back many happy memories of locos in the past. Thanks and look forward to seeing more of your work :)

Thank you so much! I always hope I can inspire others to pick up the paintbrushes and have a go at a bit of bodging! When I was very new at the hobby it always seemed so intimidating so I hope my pics show that anyone can pick up the paints, cotton buds and bits and just get started somewhere, and then just keep practicing and practicing! 

It's also been a lot of fun bringing the old locos back from the past, when I first started modelling these were 'modern image' and the stuff you saw in the Lima catalogue...where did the time go?! I think the late '90s are a bit like the new steam/diesel transition era with the last remnants of old BR giving way to the new order, bringing so much variety and interesting juxtapositions of stock next to each other!

On 12/07/2022 at 05:59, sb67 said:

Well done on getting your work in the Modelling 90's loco's bookazine, I always knew your stuff was worth seeing in print. Just waiting for the book to come out now 😉

As said above you've inspired many people, myself included, to have a go at weathering and detailing. Your style and photo's make it easy to understand and follow. I'm looking forward to the next project 👍

Thanks Steve! It is always odd seeing stuff in print, especially things like the work-in-progress shots, and you look in the magazine and it's like "hey that's my workbench there!" 😂 My first ever article was for Model Rail in 2004 (the infamous Ginsters 158!) but you do still get a bit of a mini buzz each time a new issue drops, and the silly idea of buying two copies, one for reading and 'one to keep nice' !!

Cheers,

James

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 20/07/2022 at 16:18, Southwich said:

Stunning as usual James! That 90 looks stunning.

Look forward to catching up at the weekend at showcase?

Will

Thank you Will!

I am most definitely looking forward to catching up, I’ll keep an eye out for you, in any event you’ll likely find me drooling over your Class 56 samples 😂

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/07/2022 at 09:31, James Makin said:

Haha, that is an interesting thought! I always get too ambitious so I think I'd need a giant barn for the layouts I'd want to create or the income of Pete Waterman to keep up..! 🤣

Mind you with Heljan's models sometimes being discounted I have lusted after the concept of having a model of my favourite Class 60 just sitting on the mantlepiece as a display! A giant 60038 Bidean Nam Bian all bulled up in Trainload Metals would be rather fun! 😎

You don't have to convert to 7mm to give something a go!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one James !

I remember your article on detailing 60028 which appeared in “ modern railway modelling “ ( I think it was called ), what a shame that didn’t continue as the pure DE content was great .

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Nice one James !

I remember your article on detailing 60028 which appeared in “ modern railway modelling “ ( I think it was called ), what a shame that didn’t continue as the pure DE content was great .

Cheers Rob!

Haha, that feels a lifetime ago now! I miss the MRM mag, it was a decent concept!

I remember contributing articles for a few issues in a row and mates down the club started teasing that MRM meant Makin Railway Modelling 🤦‍♂️😂 

It’d be fun if something similar came back, with 15yrs or so passed since it seems more people than ever are tackling D&E stuff!

Cheers,

James

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/08/2022 at 15:23, aeroplane said:

Have you ever thought about making a video showing your weathering techniques?

That would be a fun idea sometime! Right now I feel a bit of a beginner in that area, it all looks a bit daunting presenting the stuff for filming and then working out how people do the post production editing to make it watchable, seems like witchcraft! 

I guess practice makes perfect, my fear is just running off a load of cheesy Alan Partridge-esque videos 😂

Cheers,

James

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, James Makin said:

I guess practice makes perfect, my fear is just running off a load of cheesy Alan Partridge-esque videos 😂

Which would also be entertaining, of course 🙂

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, James Makin said:

That would be a fun idea sometime! Right now I feel a bit of a beginner in that area, it all looks a bit daunting presenting the stuff for filming and then working out how people do the post production editing to make it watchable, seems like witchcraft! 

Cheers,

James

Long time follower of this topic. Adobe Rush would probably be the best, but expensive for a one time thing. Fairly easy to learn and use. I managed to produce my first video without reading any instructions - took me longer to sort things out than produce the video! I cannot really comment on other software packages, but one can probably get some decent (easy to use) for free (I mean agreed to be free not using some hack) online. However, another option is to upload the file straight from a phone. just upload the job lot as single separate file and type 'excuse the 5 seconds of faff before I actually start spraying'.

If you do decide to go ahead, film more than you have to. That way you have buffer footage for the cutting room floor and you can ready yourself for audio description or the actual work and can forget you are being filmed. Richard of Everard Junction does a good job, probably better than he needs to. Cut well. Good sound. Good visual quality. I am not saying it's too good or unnecessary, but I am suggesting the best does not have to be the enemy of the good enough for the intended purpose. Most people would be watching for information about a hobby they enjoy rather than to view an artistic panoramic of a mountain range with a lot of visual detail.

I have used broadcast quality cameras for video, but with the intention of broadcasting the media on a TV not (just) a YouTube square. Use the best you already have and if you do need to buy, buy the best you can afford. Broadcast quality cameras are very heavy, built like tanks and need a free shoulder (if you have no tripod which takes up space around where you working) and often need two hands to work the controls which would be awkward for airbrushing! Your phone can be propped up on a workbench. These days you might be able to get away with mobile phone recording. Mid-range to high-end DSLRs from Jessops etc are used for people who regularly share lengthy podcast videos online. The BBC probably have their cameras custom-made. I can only tell on a TV too. Whether you describe your actions as you do them is your call. Some people make it visual only, but others add audio description to allow people to listen in the background or watch.

If you are worried about file size do not shoot in 4k!! Huge files. Huge. A ten-minute video (from a 20mp full frame camera) could use the entire hard disk space of a laptop. Mpeg would be fine for the purpose. A bit like jpeg and raw photos I cannot tell the difference.

Anyway, I like trains, model railways and like seeing the different work you do with the different locos. I hope you do not mind me giving the advice even if not needed for whatever reason (maybe, too, someone else might come across this post and find it useful). Let me know if you need/want anymore info. Thanks for sharing too.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks ever so much for the guidance and insight above on the videos guys, much appreciated!

I will have to have a look sometime to see if I've got a way of making a video and seeing how it goes, though I am a little more old fashioned being a words and pictures person, they seem to flow out naturally and are easy to write! I'm always inspired by the old Model Rail & Rail Express magazine step-by-step 'how to do it' articles I grew up with reading in the late 90s and then writing in that style, though nowadays videos have come along changing the game somewhat!

I must admit that I don't really get time to watch any modelling videos online currently, so that puts me at a slight disadvantage there on best practice but I am sure I can learn along the way in due course for when the time comes!

Cheers,

James