James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/07/2019 at 19:37, James Makin said:

Hi all,

I'm finally allowed to show off the commission project that I was beavering away on earlier this year!

48198297126_453559e009_k.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

It's of course another Electrostar, this time in the funky livery of Great Western Railway!

Some of the marketing team at GWR approached me at the start of the year...could I build them a working display model Class 387 Electrostar to be used in advertising campaigns...in just 2 months!

Having made all the resin cabs and spent years scratchbuilding the things, they are kind of 'my bag' so while I never normally do commissions and certainly not quick ones to short deadlines, this project sounded a little different and I was damned if anyone else was going to build it for GWR instead!!

So I set to work digging out my zillions of Electrostar pics from last year's Didcot trip and set to work...

48198295641_abfae6607c_k.jpgGWR 387145 at Didcot Parkway 12.08.18 by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

The basis of the project was a Bachmann Class 168 'Clubman' and spare vehicle, converted into a centre car with some butchery and good use of spares from my previous two Electrostar projects...

48198340817_21b75f3734_k.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

48198337392_963c09c073_k.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

I had my resin Electrostar cabs and pantograph wells all ready to go, and it was pretty quick work getting these all done so that painting could commence...barely a couple of days between sanding down the model to this stage, compared to the glacial pace of my usual projects!

Part of the fast & dirty specification from GWR was that they didn't require the correct new style window glazing, or the shorter 20m body shells, nor bespoke underframe equipment to be replicated, this was merely a display model for advertising purposes. This saved an enormous chunk of time not shortening the vehicles, on what's by far the most lengthy (pun intended!) part of the project.

48198285981_a0fc99c11f_k.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

Big thanks go to good friend Mike Buick (Scoobyra of this parish as most of you will know!) for his quick crash course on GWR colours...my idea of Great Western is 'Merlin' or 'Fag Packet' colours rather than this dangerously new colour scheme! It's quite a dark livery but the photos make it look a lot brighter, and the yellow ends make it 'pop' fortunately! Transfers used are from the superb Railtec range, being the ones originally intended for the Mk3 coaches. 

48198332562_e5d14cae49_k.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

Soon enough it all came together, the main challenges being the interesting matt & gloss finish on the model for which this livery is famous for, and of course leads to no end of controversy on the Hornby threads about how they've tackled it!

48198281961_da24cbc135_k.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

On mine I've gone for glossy bodysides but the rest of the vehicle roof is matt, along with the diagonal swooshes, it looks alright in the end but I did have reservations throughout the project..I've never finished a glossy vehicle and called it 'complete' before!!

48198328087_fcff918577_k.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

48198326417_aea2160846_k.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

The contrast between the matt and gloss can be seen pretty well here...

48198319942_5786fe1e61_k.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

48198324417_eac6fffab5_k.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

48198272671_06f9327b90_k.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

The pantograph was a robust rudimentary affair, it's a Lima Class 92 'pan' stuck down into place, the brief from GWR was that it had to raise and lower, so this is different from my previous 'Electrostars' which just have cosmetic Hornby 92 pantographs permanently glued in the lowered position.

48198268741_9cf2984a94_k.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

And there we go, in less than 2 months from first contact to completion, it was ready to be packaged up to go off to the lovely chaps at GWR for its new life as a media star! This stage felt very strange to me, as I rarely ever do work for anyone else (barring the odd mate's favours) as naturally you grow quite attached to it during the building stage, so to see it fly the nest is a little sad! I didn't have time to run it on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road but it would've fitted in quite nicely I think!

Then a rather extortionate amount of money was paid for fully insured courier by TNT followed by an anxious wait for it's arrival to be confirmed, and then time to sit back and wait to see what happened to it! There was a delay as it was originally to be unveiled on a mini-layout at the GWR Long Rock Open Day, but this didn't happen, until the other day when I got a message saying it's been featured in it's first Facebook video!

48198263636_6410c3206c_b.jpgGWR 387 Electrostar by James Makin by James Makin, on Flickr

The video can be found here if anyone is interested, from about 1 min 20 secs onwards...it gets picked up by the presenter! I believe there are other plans for it in the pipeline, especially as you can't really see it from the distance it is currently! 

So overall, it was rather fun, quite pressured but pretty enjoyable and modelling something very much newer than my normal timelines, plus a nice cash bonus at the end to help pay for some of the new Accurascale releases coming out later in the year!!

Going back to the late '90s soon...my big batch of locos are going to be airbrush weathered this weekend so it won't be long before I've some juicy diesel updates to share...catch you soon!

Cheers,

James

I always seem to find myself reading back through your pages for a bit of inspiration. The GWR 387 is Amazing. But I have to ask What paint did you use as there doesn't appear to be any commercially available made GWR Paint. Was it mixed for the Job or did some get supplied for the conversion?

Thank you for the hard work you put up on here for us to drool over!

Cheers Trailrage. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

I always seem to find myself reading back through your pages for a bit of inspiration. The GWR 387 is Amazing. But I have to ask What paint did you use as there doesn't appear to be any commercially available made GWR Paint. Was it mixed for the Job or did some get supplied for the conversion?

Thank you for the hard work you put up on here for us to drool over!

Cheers Trailrage. 

Thanks ever so much! The GWR 387 was an interesting one to work on! It was a change from my usual style where the client didn't want 100% accuracy but wanted 100% speed!

I remember the paint issue well, I did a lot of looking around at what others had done on their own GWR HSTs and Turbos etc but in the end opted for Phoenix Paint's Great Western Trains Green from the original 1996 Merlin livery, which is slightly lighter than today's shade of "GWR Green".

One thing that tipped the balance away from creating a custom dark paint mix was knowing that during a such a big masking project that there would inevitably be final touch-ups required during the finishing stage, so to have a pre-mixed colour available by the bucket load tipped the balance! I wonder whether with colour-scaling that it helps it look more reasonable, though it would be interesting what it'd look like painting a full-size Electrostar in that shade and seeing how much lighter it'd look! 😄

Cheers,

James 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 29/06/2015 at 17:11, James Makin said:

Make way for something small and red!

28839982551_879ac10cde_b.jpgMTA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I should probably introduce these - this is the start of my new ballast train project. As touched on before, I'm modelling a train I'd seen passing slowly through Didcot on one of my Sunday afternoon jaunts in the early 2000s.

28915742085_4fd04a94c8_b.jpgMTA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The two MTAs 395040 and 395065 are based on the Bachmann model and part of a batch recently picked up on eBay. I'd planned to pug them away for a while but inspiration struck and I just decided to get them straight out for a play instead!

There is a 'history' with me and the MTA wagon..! Having seen that rake of them at Didcot all the years back, I decided to scratchbuild some, based on old Hornby TTA tank chassis with plasticard bodies. In hindsight, they weren't very good but they did help refine the modelling skills and were the subject of my very first modelling article - in DEMU Update magazine back in 2004.

When the Bachmann model subsequently arrived, I bought some and absolutely went to town - a side effect of the first scratchbuild project was pouring over dozens of detail pics and seeing all the details that Bachmann didn't add to the model. I'd done a few, including a 'Doorand' back in 2006, some of which were repeated in the earlier pages of this thread.

28630593600_60245657ce_b.jpgMTA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The arrival of these minty-fresh red beauties meant going back and doing some more fiddling around to complement my existing fleet. The problem is, they do look very reasonable as they stand, but having done 'the works' on the old batch, the new ones really ought to match!

One of the fun parts is taking the soldering iron to the bodysides to replicate the familiar bulges on these wagons. I had a wave of nostalgia back to my time in 2006 while demonstrating on the stage at DEMU Showcase and stinking out the local crowd with plastic fumes bending then-brand new Limpets and MTAs!

28810469872_0f2f7e40eb_b.jpgMTA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The key is to do this long and slow, and have a steel rule to hand - it is all too easy to deform the wagon and watch you don't end up with a banana shape! It used to be less pressure when wagons were £5 a go 'back-in-the-day' but things are different now!

Any slipups here and all you're left with is a donor chassis for a custom Doorand wagon haha!

Assuming the soldering goes well, there's a few extras which can be added underneath - there are two central beams running under the chassis, and some brake gear detailing that can be added in as well. There's a few holes to be opened out in the sideframes and the springs need changing, as detailed below. There is probably even more if you feel that way inclined!

28300125053_4f4633e924_b.jpgMTA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Now is also the perfect time to modify the suspension springs. As is well-publicised, Bachmann's model features the old leaf springs as on the older TTA and you really want the new style one. S Kits make some whitemetal parts, but I find it easier to chop around the existing Bachmann springs and get them looking a bit closer to the real thing - have a look at my version compared to the original RTR, it's still a compromise but it'll do for me!

28300126803_9942e00e19_b.jpgMTA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The next thing was the livery - new TOPS panels were created in CorelDraw with my custom numbers, and then the wagon was treated to coats of Humbrol 119, 62 and 186 - a sandy and rusty type effect, with application of the same on the inside of the wagon as well.

Both wagons also feature daubings - 395040 has faded graffiti while 395065 has a 'Flat' chalked on the side, presumably by an engineer referring to the wheelset rather than a graffiti artist named 'Flat'!

28810472312_60e786ece4_b.jpgMTA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

A scalpel was used to cut grooves into the bodyside, which were then highlighted with darker browns and greys. The end result should be a weather-beaten maroon with a rich variety of tones - it's seen plenty of action but there's plenty of life left ahead of it.

28810472982_2dcd63a356_b.jpgMTA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Here's a quick pic of the underframe - the detailing has been covered over in my usual handpainted weathering -

28630606210_8b9cb1a116_b.jpgMTA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28915754615_2a824816ec_b.jpgMTA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28884117786_90ba7ceea9_b.jpgMTA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

28884119286_806210dbb2_b.jpgMTA wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

These were quite fun to work on! They will go to work behind an EWS '66' and be partnered with similarly-detailed MHA, MFA and MKA wagons, the majority of which are still tucked away in boxes for a rainy day.

I've still got more VGA wagons to come for the MOD train, but what a great little interlude!

Hi James, Sorry for digging up some other older bits but I am going to try the 'foil' method on various wagons myself in next few weeks, mostly high body side hoppers for the uneven upper panels and bulging sides etc. 

Any tips on what to do / not to do? or a short step by step of how / what you do? I have noted you mention a steel rule but can't figure out exactly what / how / why you utilise it? Don't want to ruin an expensive wagon or two! 

Any help would be much appreciated :) thanks

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Hi James, Sorry for digging up some other older bits but I am going to try the 'foil' method on various wagons myself in next few weeks, mostly high body side hoppers for the uneven upper panels and bulging sides etc. 

Any tips on what to do / not to do? or a short step by step of how / what you do? I have noted you mention a steel rule but can't figure out exactly what / how / why you utilise it? Don't want to ruin an expensive wagon or two! 

Any help would be much appreciated :) thanks

It sounds like some fun to be had there!

The tin foil was my attempt at damage limitation for my poor soldering iron mainly! The correct type of iron to use is ideally one of those gas powered mini-blowtorches that you can get, but at the time I only had a conventional soldering iron to melt the plastic on the wagons. The tin foil prevents your tip becoming covered in melted plastic, though the downside is that most of the foil gets stuck into the plastic so the interior will need to be completely painted over afterwards.

The basic step by step was to get the wagon, and then line the inside with foil, and then hold the hot iron against the foil briefly until you feel the plastic warming to a pliable melting point, then use an implement (such as the steel rule, but can be anything, like pliers, tweezers, screwdriver) to then gently push out the part of the wagon you would like to bend, and then just keep repeating until satisfied!

It's important to take it super slow as applying too much heat onto the wagon can, from experience, can shrink and warp the plastic in unexpected ways! It could be worth trying the technique on any old bit of plastic to start (ice cream tubs are good) or even an old wagon just to get the knack of how your soldering iron behaves and what kind of heat/time it takes to start getting the plastic melty enough to play with! 

Another thing to do is to have a bit of track nearby to ensure that the wagon sits flat on all it's wheels, the little four-wheelers I've mainly done this to can be vulnerable if you bend the body enough to take on a slight twist or banana if not careful, meaning the wheels don't sit straight on the track, but can be avoided by regular checking and just going easy. 

Hope that gives a useful run through! It's a risky and slow process but one where if you have the patience to go super slow then the results can be well worthwhile!

Cheers,

James

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, James Makin said:

It sounds like some fun to be had there!

The tin foil was my attempt at damage limitation for my poor soldering iron mainly! The correct type of iron to use is ideally one of those gas powered mini-blowtorches that you can get, but at the time I only had a conventional soldering iron to melt the plastic on the wagons. The tin foil prevents your tip becoming covered in melted plastic, though the downside is that most of the foil gets stuck into the plastic so the interior will need to be completely painted over afterwards.

The basic step by step was to get the wagon, and then line the inside with foil, and then hold the hot iron against the foil briefly until you feel the plastic warming to a pliable melting point, then use an implement (such as the steel rule, but can be anything, like pliers, tweezers, screwdriver) to then gently push out the part of the wagon you would like to bend, and then just keep repeating until satisfied!

It's important to take it super slow as applying too much heat onto the wagon can, from experience, can shrink and warp the plastic in unexpected ways! It could be worth trying the technique on any old bit of plastic to start (ice cream tubs are good) or even an old wagon just to get the knack of how your soldering iron behaves and what kind of heat/time it takes to start getting the plastic melty enough to play with! 

Another thing to do is to have a bit of track nearby to ensure that the wagon sits flat on all it's wheels, the little four-wheelers I've mainly done this to can be vulnerable if you bend the body enough to take on a slight twist or banana if not careful, meaning the wheels don't sit straight on the track, but can be avoided by regular checking and just going easy. 

Hope that gives a useful run through! It's a risky and slow process but one where if you have the patience to go super slow then the results can be well worthwhile!

Cheers,

James

thanks James. Very helpful, will have a play around and see what i can cone up with! 

cheers 👍🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Martin said:

More great work on those vans! Do you know why 200155 was painted green in the first place?

Jim

I would put good money on it being a Railfreight Distribution livery van, dark grey with yellow ends. Some other wagons (like OCAs) got the same. The grey faded to a greeny shade on lots of wagons.

Edit, just found this on Paul Bartlett's site. Case closed,  m'lud.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brvaa/h4fd532f

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Great find on the original green image Jo!

It’s amazing how they weather over time, to bring it full circle I’m attaching the 1999-dated reference pic for 200155, borrowed from Gareth Bayer’s superb and much-missed Wagons on the Web page -

D7AD2A2B-155C-41CD-81CE-5230D134E247.jpeg.051ad478d9d7de0ee8587d0fa010e295.jpeg

Got to love the state that these wagons got into, and a big thanks to Gareth for recording this and many others before they met their end - at the time my rubbishy kids snappy camera was mainly aimed at whizzy HSTs 🤣

Cheers,

James

• Like 8

Hi James (sorry to bother you - Again!) 

Wanted to pick your brains on your eledctorstar projects of the past...

I am starting a project to create a chiltern 172, using a bachy 170 as a starting point, will need to change the bogies over to the voyager style ones. But will also need to change the ribbon / bonded style glazing to the gasket style found on the newer units of the turbo / electro star families. Have you done this to any of your electrostar projects yet? Hoping there is a brass kit out there somewhere - I can only only hope!

thanks

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Hi James (sorry to bother you - Again!) 

Wanted to pick your brains on your eledctorstar projects of the past...

I am starting a project to create a chiltern 172, using a bachy 170 as a starting point, will need to change the bogies over to the voyager style ones. But will also need to change the ribbon / bonded style glazing to the gasket style found on the newer units of the turbo / electro star families. Have you done this to any of your electrostar projects yet? Hoping there is a brass kit out there somewhere - I can only only hope!

thanks

Thanks, no worries!

I've only attempted the early ribbon-glazed version of the Electrostars myself (I will not need to be building any more I am sure!) but I did once get sent a photo that one customer of my kits had sent of a 172 conversion they'd made with etched brass window side panels, I can't remember any further details than that as it was many years ago but out there somewhere, someone has done window frames!

Hope that kind of helps in some way, and good luck on the search!

Cheers,

James

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2022 at 17:19, James Makin said:

That would be a fun idea sometime! Right now I feel a bit of a beginner in that area, it all looks a bit daunting presenting the stuff for filming and then working out how people do the post production editing to make it watchable, seems like witchcraft! 

I guess practice makes perfect, my fear is just running off a load of cheesy Alan Partridge-esque videos 😂

Cheers,

James

Any Alan Partridge similarity would just add to the experience. Could try a mouldy 'raspberry' and film and overlay music /sound only? I imagine that the more you do the better accustomed you become - much like the weathering! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/10/2022 at 11:31, billywhizz said:

Hi James. 
thanks for sharing another great weathering article. 
Out of interest, on the Bachmann VBA etc do you doing anything with the swiveling axle units on your wagons to improve running?

Regards,

Bill. 

Hi Bill,

Thanks very much! I must’ve been lucky so far but have never needed to modify the underframes on any of these Bachmann long wheelbase wagons, whether it’s the vans or the equivalent OBAs/OCAs etc too, they are amongst the most reliable wagons running on our Loftus Road, when all else fails, they get brought out! 😂

The only similar wagons I’ve had trouble with are the old FTG Models/DJM/Kernow ‘SPA’ wagons, I just can’t get them to run well, a combination of gluing up the axle units, adding weight and changing wheels & couplings didn’t work, so I’ve ended up fitting Bachmann axlebox units to help get them running decently! Add in the clunky underframe moulding too and in hindsight it would’ve been far easier to just build the Cambrian kits for those..!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/10/2022 at 10:17, QuoitsPlayer said:

Looks great James 👍 Is Loftus Road complete now? 

Thanks! After 17 years of working on Loftus now we’re more or less complete, but it’s always fun to add little details here and there! 

We're just getting back into the swing of things after an almost 2-year break of doing anything on the layout and it’s still a challenge trying to get fully back into the groove as I’m sure many clubs are experiencing too, but I’m sure we’ll get there!

Meanwhile as a group we are all getting older and thoughts are turning to what’s next, especially with the clubroom being situated on the first floor upstairs, the concept of a smaller, lighter project does seem particularly appealing on those dark Sunday evenings spent lugging the heavy old beast back up a wet staircase after a show 😂

Cheers,

James

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, James Makin said:

Thanks! After 17 years of working on Loftus now we’re more or less complete, but it’s always fun to add little details here and there! 

I didnt realise it was that old, it still feels really modern and contemporary even though it's 15 years since Silverlink's franchise ended.