James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

James as ever - really nice work on the Class 58's. 

How did you remove the numbers on the TTG Mainline Grey version?  I have one I started many years ago off one of the original 'Mainiine' version (rectified by filling in the i with a black permanent marker) , and had trouble with both the front numbers on the yellow and side numbers on the grey, and sidelined the project!  Did you use railmatch to repaint the problematic numbers?  It were a £49? Liverpool special - I would have had more if it had been successful!

When the Olivias were on sale at the same location, I did temp fate and had a 58038 to make a 58046 for someone else.  Whose numbers did you use?  A certain company made me some to their credit, and did a couple of tries as the silver didn't work too well on the blue.  How did you get the numbers off successfully - think I used enamel thinner very sparingly!

Keep up the excellent work.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

How did you remove the numbers on the TTG Mainline Grey version?  I have one I started many years ago off one of the original 'Mainiine' version (rectified by filling in the i with a black permanent marker) , and had trouble with both the front numbers on the yellow and side numbers on the grey, and sidelined the project!  Did you use railmatch to repaint the problematic numbers?  It were a £49? Liverpool special - I would have had more if it had been successful!

I can’t answer for James, but for my own triple grey 58 I tried removing the numbers with my usual Microsol approach but the paint was really thin so it went through the paint. I ended up respraying with Phoenix paints which gave a good match.  From

memory the end numbers came off ok. Weathering was inspired by James’ approach (shown on my workbench blog linked below)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

When the Olivias were on sale at the same location, I did temp fate and had a 58038 to make a 58046 for someone else.  Whose numbers did you use?  A certain company made me some to their credit, and did a couple of tries as the silver didn't work too well on the blue.  How did you get the numbers off successfully - think I used enamel thinner very sparingly!

Keep up the excellent work.

Thanks very much! The 58s were certainly good fun to work on and I'm always so grateful Heljan did the model, even though it's not quite up there with today's new releases. The old Hornby one was so basic, and I remember ever so hopefully writing out a cheque to Paul at the Class 58 Loco Group in the hope of their commissioned '58' project coming which eventually morphed into the Heljan one a few years later!

It was amazing when Hattons were knocking out the £50 '58s'! I remember them being a great offer but even then £50 was still a reasonable amount for a loco, but fast forward to now and it'd be worth clearing them out in hindsight! 🤣

With removing the numbers, I used my usual Humbrol Enamel Thinners, and it worked pretty well, taking off the numbers but being careful not to labour too much and go through the backing grey as it does seem very thin! 

Strangely I found the blue Mainline model harder to work on than the grey - there was a depot plaque that needed to be removed and I started to go back through to the light grey plastic underneath - my bizarre stroke of luck being that on the real 58042 it had a scar in exactly that spot so I could cover it up!

When I've also had trouble with the thinners being too effective, I sometimes revert back to using a curve bladed scalpel to scrape away at the numbers and generally a combination of the scraping and a very brief showing of thinners on a cotton bud will help remove the branding but keep the backing colour - hope this helps and you can dig out your stored 58s!

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold

I think I may just have to have a go with some thinners removing the numbers from my ews 58047 tomorrow night to change to something that I know worked on the Laira fuel train….

I need to dig them out to strip the horrible weathering from 37670 anyway…

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Time for a couple of plain Janes!

51978468545_a7ea1f023c_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Joining the fleet this week are my renditions of EWS' plain triple grey 47276 and Freightliner's 47296, modelled in late 1998 condition.

51977905746_0278d40c01_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

As before, these are both based on the outgoing Bachmann  '47' model, having once been the Trainload Distribution 'Herbert Austin' release from a few short years back, already in the right base colours but just needing some tweaking before taking on their new identities. 

51977979138_99d474995d_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Humbrol enamel thinners helped to strip back the old branding into the plain triple grey needed, whilst work took place on the respective bodyshells to give the Crewe-cut cabs for 47276, and update the roof boiler panel arrangement for each loco. The trademark Bachmann plastic roof mould lines were also removed at this stage to give a more realistic appearance, and the two roofs repainted. Each bodyshell was then gloss varnished and decals applied. 

51977903596_403f1c8331_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

My favourite paint-on/wipe-off method was used here for each loco to get the initial grime build ups in the panel gaps and streaking where required, and here some later-stage Avril Lavigne is prescribed as the necessary soundtrack to grey freight '47' projects.

51978464800_996c976843_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

The locos were reassembled and then put through the familiar airbrush weathering process as all the other locos received, building up layers of Phoenix Paints' brake dust and frame dirt over the dark-grey painted underframes, and the roof having received passes of roof dirt, dirty black and my own mix of black & blue paint for the oily exhaust fume deposits. 

51977975983_ffb4a5c083_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Starting with Freightliner's 47296 in focus first, this machine was chosen as it was just so nothing, and so typical!

With the passing of time I'm more than a little guilty to admit that I used to find their '47' fleet very boring, seemingly just machine after machine painted in matching triple grey with red logos, and with little to distinguish one from another, and would see them hurriedly rushing past Didcot all day linking up Felixstowe, Southampton, Crewe and everywhere in between - 'oh just another grey 47 again'...how times change right!

51978179849_6eacd12ade_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

47296 was beautifully nondescript and therefore perfect to be at the head of some of my container trains, still retaining the original Brush bufferbeam cowling and full set of underframe tanks too.

51976890977_c994562556_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

The livery was the classic triple grey with the red triangles, being applied using Fox Transfers decals and Railtec's black numbers. On one side, 47296 had a slight damage to its red triangle, this was replicated with some gentle touches of grey to the logo.

51978178474_7e8976847f_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

There were a few fantastic 'namers' amongst the Freightliner fleet and some interesting ones with battered liveries or ex-RfD colours, but in the interests of modelling the everyday, 47296 is most representative of the ones I saw, clean, never bestowed with a name, only slight wear & tear and otherwise beautifully workaday, just going about it's business!

51978177904_b7582c03a0_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Not all 47s were born equal, and for 47276, it had a distinct disadvantage in being an EWS machine! Once part of the Immingham Railfreight Petroleum fleet, by the late 90s it found itself debranded and in generally poor external condition.

51978460625_6b515c39f8_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

51978461100_1a54e567ff_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

By my modelling time period, the loco had a lot of ingrained dirt across the bodysides, and some interesting marks that needed to be modelled. I took a different approach to get the ingrained dirt on the sides, so here's a quick overview -

51977971728_9ef095528b_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

After having done the same paint-on/wipe-off as the Freightliner loco, I then mottled on extra layers of light brown to the lower bodyside, and partially wiped these off, tinting the colour of the lower bodyside towards the brighter brown compared to the rest of the body, and adding some dirty marks in the process.

Next, I then dipped cotton buds in enamel thinners and washes of browns and rolled these across kitchen roll to dry out slightly before rolling across the lower body of the loco:

51976886932_5eaf56f1b9_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

The cotton bud rolling was completed a few times, ending up with a mottled effect on the lower bodyside with 3 different shades of light-medium browns, and extra thinners added where the effect was too strong, the idea being to replicate photos of the machine online where dirt had built up on it over a long period of time and rain could only wash so much away, leaving a very deep ingrained dirt finish. 

51977894911_5e0041d4e5_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Other individual markings were added with fine brushes, such as the little corrosion marks and damages. Shawplan oval class 60 buffers were added at the No.1 end. 

51978457050_92cd32f724_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

For the underframe, a Bachmann moulding of the battery-box-only version was used, but with the middle section removed and filled in behind to give the sufficient open space needed, and a representation of the pipework that can be found underneath a 47 too. It is quite fun that on the new-spec Bachmann 47, this is all done from the factory now!

51976884312_57b4d0b528_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

It's been great fun modelling this duo of ordinary 'Duff's - nothing special in their day, and just seeing out their final years without any glory! EWS' 47276 wouldn't have long to go - being sidelined in 1999 into the famed WNXX pool, and eventually meeting its maker at Wigan CRDC in 2001.

Freightliner's 47296 would soldier on in frontline service until September 2001, before suffering the indignity of being beached, bogie-less, on wooden sleeper chocks in Southampton Maritime depot alongside sister 47152 until eventual cutting came in 2003.

51977967253_69df54a2e2_k.jpg47276 and 47296 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Looking forward to getting these two into service and loading up those container trains!

Cheers,

James

Fabulous work James,your threads are really good for those who dont have what it takes to do this kind of work,very skilled and informative,good of you to share it.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/04/2022 at 23:00, The Fatadder said:

I think I may just have to have a go with some thinners removing the numbers from my ews 58047 tomorrow night to change to something that I know worked on the Laira fuel train….

I need to dig them out to strip the horrible weathering from 37670 anyway…

Not sure how the EWS is done on them.  I am assuming that it's printed on top of the EWS Yellow/Gold.

• Agree 1

On 02/04/2022 at 22:37, James Makin said:

Thanks very much! The 58s were certainly good fun to work on and I'm always so grateful Heljan did the model, even though it's not quite up there with today's new releases. The old Hornby one was so basic, and I remember ever so hopefully writing out a cheque to Paul at the Class 58 Loco Group in the hope of their commissioned '58' project coming which eventually morphed into the Heljan one a few years later!

It was amazing when Hattons were knocking out the £50 '58s'! I remember them being a great offer but even then £50 was still a reasonable amount for a loco, but fast forward to now and it'd be worth clearing them out in hindsight! 🤣

With removing the numbers, I used my usual Humbrol Enamel Thinners, and it worked pretty well, taking off the numbers but being careful not to labour too much and go through the backing grey as it does seem very thin! 

Strangely I found the blue Mainline model harder to work on than the grey - there was a depot plaque that needed to be removed and I started to go back through to the light grey plastic underneath - my bizarre stroke of luck being that on the real 58042 it had a scar in exactly that spot so I could cover it up!

When I've also had trouble with the thinners being too effective, I sometimes revert back to using a curve bladed scalpel to scrape away at the numbers and generally a combination of the scraping and a very brief showing of thinners on a cotton bud will help remove the branding but keep the backing colour - hope this helps and you can dig out your stored 58s!

Cheers,

James

Thanks James, I have a good few stored for future layout, but the 2 in question are more readily available (Demic near the loft hatch as a project to go back to, whilst 046 lives in a cabinet!).  I won't post pictures here and trash your thread, but when I next get close to them- will PM you with them!  The worst thing on the Mainline Blue is that the livery is incorrectly placed, in the case of 58046.Unless you do a repaint - the livery is a compromise because you cannot put the OHLE warnings in the correct place!  Likewise it has soooo many of the damn things.  They took hours to apply, to get them level in line with the rest!

If only we had a time machine to go back and get the bargains!  I would have had more to renumber, but after the 1st not working, left it!  Got a few Class 66's fron the same retailer for the future tho!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Nice work James.

You just know that the sector 60 is right up my street, but being a WR region man I do like the Transrail scheme too.

60054 Charles Babbage lasted a long in petroleum livery, have you ever been tempted? There's always room for more sector locos! 😎

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Absolutely superb work James, you've captured the look of these fine machines well. Some would argue that the Hornby model deserves a re-tool, however I would say it still stands up to weathering and detailing, capturing the bulk and character of the prototypes well. 

Looking forward to seeing more soon. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/04/2022 at 17:23, rob D2 said:

Very nice !

I have a 315 too but it’s a bit less grubby . I’ve just finished 47016, just leaves 47004 to do !

Cheers Rob! I really liked your 47016 and looking forward to seeing 47004, that was always a favourite, something about the snowploughs over the green which was a lovely combo! My 47004 has been playing up a bit lately, the driveshafts keep falling out so it will be coming back to the workbench for a bit of an overhaul internally and externally to freshen it up a touch!

On 18/04/2022 at 00:22, Wayne 37901 said:

Nice work James.

You just know that the sector 60 is right up my street, but being a WR region man I do like the Transrail scheme too.

60054 Charles Babbage lasted a long in petroleum livery, have you ever been tempted? There's always room for more sector locos! 😎

Cheers,

Wayne

There's always room for more sector grey 60s for sure! In my grand plan 'hit list' I hope to cover examples from each of the sectors that remained into 1998-ish, so just need to do Metals, Coal and Petroleum examples now. 60054 is definitely a good candidate and it's between that and 60014 as to which Petroleum one will get done first, or both!

I've got the plates and decals ready for some other sector survivors as part of my 2022 batch so that will be fun to work on, filling in more gaps in the '60' fleet list!

10 hours ago, KDG said:

Just, wow. I'm a sucker for 3TG + big T stickers.  This will be an epic layout....

Haha thank you! The Big T ones are fun, there are bound to be more coming too that I can say!!

Thanks for all the nice likes and comments guys!

Cheers,

James

I had the poster from the introduction of the sector liveries when I was a kid. Four 60s in coal, construction, petroleum and metals livery lined up outside Toton (although in much better condition than those currently lined up outside Toton!) 

Brought back some very fond memories, amazing work as always! 

• Friendly/supportive 1