James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium

Thanks so much everyone for the likes and lovely comments!

On 28/01/2022 at 23:34, The Fatadder said:

Love the gash in the side of 37225, the Mainline one looks rather nice as well.  I really need to get some Mainline logos on my Mainline 37065 and finish it off.  I think the livery really suited the 37

edit: as another unusual Virgin XC working which may have made it through Didcot, how about this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151904976@N08/43886304042/in/pool-14754576@N21/

Cheers Rich, the Mainline livery isn't bad is it! It does sit nicely on the 37, and looking forward to seeing your 37065! The No.2 end on that was pretty horrendous to my eyes, like an unfinished nosejob gone wrong :lol:

On 29/01/2022 at 00:25, Wayne 37901 said:

Does anyone want to see more 37s? How many is too many?

As someone who grew up with 37s in South Wales, you can never have too many! I remember them being on almost every freight in the early 1990s, apart from the odd 47 and occasional 56 turn. Then the 60s arrived and the 37s relegated to less arduous freight workings.

Nice job on these un-refurbished type 3s James.

Thanks Wayne! I think that is luckily the right answer to the question, as there are many more 37s coming on these pages too..! That's so cool seeing 37s all the time when you were younger, me being primarily down on the South Coast it was wall-to-wall Network SouthEast slam door EMUs, so seeing diesel exotica like that up at Didcot ("there's the real trains from the Hornby catalogue") was captivating!

On 29/01/2022 at 19:16, billywhizz said:

The damage and corrosion looks really effective on 37225. Enjoying following your rapid rate of progress James! 
Cheers. 
Bill. 

Thanks Bill! I wish it was as rapid progress as it looks :lol: In reality it's a year's worth of modelling time solidly going at it here and there in gaps of time and so on and boiled down into a few weeks of updates but it is fun to look back at via RMWeb as a reminder of where the time went!

On 29/01/2022 at 22:29, Mr Pix said:

Great work James .

I have a Hornby class 60 in sector livery with a big Beastie branding. I want to remove it and add  Metals sector’s decals without  having to repaint , would be grateful for any advice.. cheers

Jez

Ooh that is a tricky one I am afraid Jez! I tackled a 60014 in the big beastie branding and annoyingly Hornby didn't print the grey behind the yellow, so there was no way it would ever be removed as the yellow/undercoat seemed to be printed directly onto the plastic instead of on top of the triple greys, I would recommend a half-spray job if you fancied - where you can mask the roof, orange warning line and yellow ends and just respray the Rail Grey and Flint Grey layers, it is a bit of a cheat but can work pretty well and saves the complexity of a complete respray, best of luck!!

On 30/01/2022 at 09:21, Mophead45143 said:

Hurry up and put a lot if effort into your 31's so that the inevitable new model is released!!! :D

If you don't, I have five Lima bodies to adapt to Hornby chassis', all of which will require new glazing and many many tiny handrails etc., followed by a complete re-spray!!!

Go on, take one for the team!

P.S. Loving this thread by the way, as my earliest childhood memories are of the early privatisation era on the WR. Nice to see Merlin and Fag Packet HST's in model form, and looking forward to some tatty IC / Virgin combo's too! 

Cameron

Haha, I reckon if we both start working on 31s then that'll surely trigger an Accurascale announcement! I don't envy you with those tiny roof handrails, there are tons of them!

The HSTs are a lot of fun too, there will certainly be some IC/Virgin ones in due course, I've a stockpile of untouched RTR bits, a full Virgin set and Intercity-livered set and enough spare bits for a mixed up rake with more IC power cars. The recent Hornby FGW 'Fag Packet' HST announcement was an unexpected surprise so I have had a bit of a spending splurge on some sets there I must admit :lol:

On 30/01/2022 at 10:16, 37403 said:

On a similar theme to what everyone else has said, these are fantastic models, great work and look forward to seeing what's next.

Not sure why, but I'm inclined to get out my P5 pocket book and start scoring these off hahahaha.

A line up of the 37s would make it easier :D

I would love to do a big line up of 37s and other locos! I'm looking forward to recreating the old collections of locos you'd get stabled at Didcot adjacent to the platform just cooling down and clanking away!

I keep a spreadsheet of my loco fleet and it is starting to look a little like a P5 spotting book already! I seem to have an accidental knack of modelling consecutively numbered locos as well, don't know how it happens but that does give a bit of a 'trainspotting book' feel! 

On 31/01/2022 at 23:33, KDG said:

James the correct number of class 37's is the number you first thought of, plus "some".

Lovely rusty locos.

I was posted to Benson '02 to '05 so managed to get to Didcot quite often when it was still reasonably busy, with plenty of freight. Nice.

Thanks very much Andy! It is tricky to beat a rusty 37!!

Those were great times at Didcot, we may well have been there at the same time and just not realised! It was a fascinating place to go to, even into the late 2000s you could still be sure of a good day out there before things really started to wind back, now it's a case of just recreating those fun times on a layout, and to an audience that may not have realised what Didcot was like in the days before the wires went up!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

James, as usual you've done justice to 2 fine Brush/Mirlees machines. I've always liked the presence of the 60's, and the names of course, Schehallion and Helvellyn being favourites, probably from my mountaineering days.

Isn't it a crying shame that there is a long line of them languishing at Toton, and they'll probably never turn a wheel again?  I suspect they'll eventually be scrapped on site being too far gone to move again.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not 'Dick Mabutt`?!!! :o

Cracking work as ever James and thanks for another wonderful and inspiring update... 

Have you done any of the BZ 37's at all? These are the ones I remember the most in my Devon/Cornwall days. 

Going back to Class 60's again another favourite was 60035  'Florence Nightingale' in Transrail livery.. 

Thanks once again. 

Mark 

• Friendly/supportive 1

James, I've been looking through your thread and posts from a while back to get some info on how you add transfers to wagons? Do you paint the whole thing gloss or just the area where the transfer will go and what do you use to fix the transfers?  

Many thanks.

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the kind words!

On 12/02/2022 at 18:48, Swifty11 said:

More lovely work James! Particularly pleased to see 60045 done, that’s one on my hit list to do eventually as an old hand on the Fiddlers Ferry coal circuits. 

Cheers Tom, I was always surprised how long 60045 lasted for in the end, it had a lucky innings compared to some of the others, must be about a decade's extra service over the infamous 60081 :lol:

On 12/02/2022 at 19:48, KDG said:

James, as usual you've done justice to 2 fine Brush/Mirlees machines. I've always liked the presence of the 60's, and the names of course, Schehallion and Helvellyn being favourites, probably from my mountaineering days.

Isn't it a crying shame that there is a long line of them languishing at Toton, and they'll probably never turn a wheel again?  I suspect they'll eventually be scrapped on site being too far gone to move again.

The mountain names are superb, some of them are quite dreamy as well! I'm no mountaineer but some day it would be rather tempting to go up some of the peaks that the locos were named after just because of the railway connection. The '60's used to sometimes make school Geography lessons more interesting, when a mountain name would occasionally get mentioned and my ears would prick up thinking 'ooh that's actually 600XX'  :lol:

I can't wait to see what happens with the rest of the 60s, you get the feeling they haven't got too many years left, if 60006 has gone already and some already sold on to new homes, the remaining few must be on borrowed time...itll be interesting to see which favourites are working on a preserved railway in 20 years time, decked out in original sector liveries or "Heritage EWS", and those which have ended up as giant flame-cut number panels on someone's wall! 

On 12/02/2022 at 20:10, 46444 said:

Not 'Dick Mabutt`?!!! :o

Cracking work as ever James and thanks for another wonderful and inspiring update... 

Have you done any of the BZ 37's at all? These are the ones I remember the most in my Devon/Cornwall days. 

Going back to Class 60's again another favourite was 60035  'Florence Nightingale' in Transrail livery.. 

Thanks once again. 

Mark 

Cheers Mark! The St Blazey 37s were great fun, I think the best years were before my modelling period though, I just love the sight of them in new Trainload Distribution branding or the hybrid ex-Scottish machines in Intercity Mainline with the Lizard depot plaque applied over the top, things of beauty there! I can't rule out doing a mini layout of that some day just as it'd be so much fun to do to scratch that itch! I keep telling myself to focus on the main project though..!

The nearest I've got is 37669 which used to be a BZ machine at one stage in the 90s but one of the good things about modelling 1998 was the EWS common user policy had just come in, so things could turn up off their beaten track, so no reason why more ex BZ machines couldn't appear at Didcot! There's a few good machines to choose from but 37671 would be somewhere near the top of the pile to do someday. 

A great shout there on 60035 in Transrail! Funnily enough that machine very very nearly happened as part of this batch, but was just pipped at the post by something else that will appear in due course instead! 

On 12/02/2022 at 22:44, dj_crisp said:

Cracking Job! I've always thought EWS livery really suited the 60s and one Hornby did ok on! They look smashing.

Thanks Will, yeah the EWS livery just sits so nicely on the slab bodyside, and paired with the right nameplates too, they make very eye-catching machines! I do quite like Hornby's version of the livery too, aside from the early ones having a yellowy-gold stripe, they are not bad at all! Still lots around to choose from when buying, though I keep ending up with right dogs with the horns missing, ploughs missing and bogie frames obliterated haha!

On 14/02/2022 at 19:53, sb67 said:

James, I've been looking through your thread and posts from a while back to get some info on how you add transfers to wagons? Do you paint the whole thing gloss or just the area where the transfer will go and what do you use to fix the transfers?  

Many thanks.

Steve.

Cheers Steve, I've been liking the wagons in your thread! When I've done mine, typically I'll end up varnishing the whole wagon side in gloss, just using the Railmatch/Humbrol/Tamiya etc aerosols, I figure if I cover the whole side then it gives even depth/layers compared to treating a specific area, then after the decals are added I'll varnish over with Railmatch matt varnish and leave for a month or so before tackling with the thinners-based washes just to avoid accidentally lifting the layers of varnish! Hope this helps and look forward to seeing more of your projects!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, James Makin said:

Cheers Steve, I've been liking the wagons in your thread! When I've done mine, typically I'll end up varnishing the whole wagon side in gloss, just using the Railmatch/Humbrol/Tamiya etc aerosols, I figure if I cover the whole side then it gives even depth/layers compared to treating a specific area, then after the decals are added I'll varnish over with Railmatch matt varnish and leave for a month or so before tackling with the thinners-based washes just to avoid accidentally lifting the layers of varnish! Hope this helps and look forward to seeing more of your projects!

Thank you James. It's interesting you mention leaving it a month or more before using thinners based methods. I left a wagon 3 days thinking it would have dried thoroughly and when I put even a light wash on the varnish started coming off! Fortunately the effect it gave wasn't too bad.  I'll def leave the rest a bit longer now! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, James Makin said:

The mountain names are superb, some of them are quite dreamy as well! I'm no mountaineer but some day it would be rather tempting to go up some of the peaks that the locos were named after just because of the railway connection. The '60's used to sometimes make school Geography lessons more interesting, when a mountain name would occasionally get mentioned and my ears would prick up thinking 'ooh that's actually 600XX'  :lol:

I have a friend like that James, always reciting class 60 numbers when discussing mountains! I tell him off though, as in my mind he ought to be reciting class 44 numbers!

Cameron 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Like the idea of the dummy 37, I currently have most of an old 37/4 chassis (gear towers, block and probably the oo wheels.) quite tempted to 3D print a new set of bogie frames and fuel tanks and add another 37 to run in multiple on the long distance clay flows……

• Like 3

On 02/02/2022 at 13:32, James Makin said:

Haha, I reckon if we both start working on 31s then that'll surely trigger an Accurascale announcement! I don't envy you with those tiny roof handrails, there are tons of them!

Cheers,

James

James, did you make a start on your 31's then...?

https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/accurascale-2-brush-up-with-br-class-30-and-31-brush-2-in-00-4mm

It wasn't me..... :D

Cameron

• Funny 1

On 16/02/2022 at 23:57, James Makin said:

I couldn’t resist sharing a snap of my latest purchase!

5D709BEC-EA45-4E26-887A-34CA7AFEB398.jpeg.72cf2a0352f3a3fe3dbf0cf7b6f2630c.jpeg

The sign is one of the iconic lamppost boards from the great place itself, and in the classic Intercity Claret style from the late ‘80s onwards.

There’s ghosting evidence of the newer Great Western stickers being applied over the top at one stage too, which is fun to see.

It’s about 4ft x 2ft, I was surprised at the size as they looked so much smaller attached to a lamppost high in the sky! It’s just fun to think it was on the station during all my spotting visits, if only I knew which exact lamppost though! :lol:

Massive thanks go to Marcus Lambert (if you’re reading this!) for giving me the heads up that it was for sale, it would’ve been rude not to buy it then!

Now just got to work out where to hang it..!

Cheers,

James

Nice purchase James.

I'm not sure if Marcus posts much on here, but he's a friend of mine so can pass on your thanks if you like.

Cheers,

Wayne

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

James, did you make a start on your 31's then...?

https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/accurascale-2-brush-up-with-br-class-30-and-31-brush-2-in-00-4mm

It wasn't me..... :D

Cameron

Haha, I think our chat about them must've been a good omen! I was looking through the releases earlier and it could be seriously expensive, there's at least 5-6 I'd love to go for! The Dutch version especially looks extremely useful, with the driver's side headlight, and paired with some cheeky deletion of the ETH socket, could be a great donor for a few vulnerable-looking tatty messes that I've got in mind. 

It feels almost wrong somehow to be cunningly concocting plans on how I can wreck and ruin shiny brand new Accurascale locos that haven't even been produced yet..! 

Alongside that there was a few good survivors into my '98 time period, I was already planning an IC Mainline 31420 on the big 'hitlist' and a Regional Railways 31465...plus a BR Blue 31434, all relatively easy reworkings now rather than the big projects they once were, it'll be party time come next year!

2 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Nice purchase James.

I'm not sure if Marcus posts much on here, but he's a friend of mine so can pass on your thanks if you like.

Cheers,

Wayne

Cheers Wayne, we tend to message on Facebook (poor Marcus!) but I thought I've got to give a public shoutout as the least I can do too, I always wanted a bit of railwayana and especially something Didcot-related, but never thought I'd get a chance to get a sign post! 

The dream would be to own some of the fabulous loco nameplates from my spotting days but that really is on another level, when it's at the stage where you can buy a respectable family car for the same price as a small chunk of tarnished metal then that's when some serious thinking is needed!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Fantastic work James! I love the dirt on the bonnets, that is what I remember most about that class, the bonnet tops were always grimy!  

Quick question, what colour do you paint your wagon buffer heads? 

Edited by sb67
  • Thanks 1

On 20/02/2022 at 15:18, James Makin said:

Next up in the diesel 'lucky dip' machine we have...another pair of old 37s!

51892640186_53992b22c6_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Joining the fleet this week is Transrail 37154 and ETH-fitted 37426 in EWS livery, both modelled in late 1998 condition. 

51892727323_28458720a0_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

I am partial to a good scabby freight 37/0, and this Transrail example fitted the bill nicely, with its distressed sides and yellow ploughs, meanwhile 37426 represents some of the recently-refreshed 37/4s that saw turns on the North Wales loco-hauled services, and from time to time would surface at Didcot on other duties. 

The starting point would be a pair of Bachmann models, a split-headcode Coal-sector 37049 and another EWS 37411 bodyshell.

51892726938_9a27923dfe_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

It is always fun removing the branding from the more recently produced Bachmann models, the coal branding here is satisfyingly just peeling off in sheets! After de-branding, the split-headcode ends were swapped out for centre-box lens versions, and the roof sanded down to represent 37154's arrangement. 

51892639171_9683cc1f32_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Meanwhile, the EWS one had its old branding removed, and renumbered with Railtec's superb EWS decals that Steve kindly put together a few years back - superb service! The body was glossed beforehand, and then the transfers sealed in after with a layer of Railmatch matt varnish.

Other details added included Shawplan etched roof grilles and making sure the arrangement of old & new electrification flashes matched the prototype for 1998, they did seem to change often!

51892638466_f59eaa5019_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Accompanied by some classic Norwegian electropop, the weathering stages could begin, both locos received the usual washes of dark browns and greys, painted on in varying thicknesses of wash and wiped off, leaving engrained dirt in the recesses. 

The pic below shows the next transition, after the initial wipe, you get a streaky, grimy appearance that you can then wipe back further with cotton buds, dipped in enamel thinners. This grimy layer can be fashioned into mostly translucent streaks of dirty grime if needed, working vertically from top to bottom. The left hand side of the loco below shows the clean area, vs the untreated part on the right.

51891680542_b0b8b294f0_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

With this layer of weathering complete, each loco body then receives the final detail painting, adding the little rusty patches and marks, picking out anything else and general corrections before a final layer of varnish to seal this layer of weathering into the body, before the final airbrush misting over the top of the reassembled body & chassis at the final stage of the project. 

51893287595_8802dd3d2b_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

The final airbrushing stage sees a range of browns and greys applied, together with the final roof exhaust shade of black & blue on the top. 

51892636376_00966ffa16_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

37426 was a bit of an average Joe loco by the late 90s, having been painted out of it's old Intercity Mainline colours and losing the unofficial painted Tinsley 'Mt Vesuvius' name in exchange for a much more corporate lick of EWS maroon & gold. 

51892972599_4513cf3a17_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

What was interesting however, despite being outshopped only a year or so before, it had already managed to lose a bit of the '6' decal on its running number, which of course meant this had to be replicated here!

51892722843_9c386959c6_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Later years would see this replaced with a new decal, but for the 1998-1999 period it had to be modelled! 

51893286075_a32dd98b10_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

I've created 37426 here as a dummy loco, for a couple of reasons - firstly, I'm not that adept at doing DCC consists of powered locos, and secondly, this uses up an old chassis from the very first Bachmann misshaped-body 37/4 I ever had!

Formerly my old EW&S 37886 that used to run on Wells Green TMD, despite much maintenance, it had always been a poor runner, so after many years of loyal, but troubled service, instead of just selling it on, the loco has donated parts to a variety of 37s going forward! The original South West Digital version 1 sound chip went to my own 37411 model a couple of years back, the rolling chassis here to 37426, whilst the motor and flywheels repowering a dodgy Dutch 37, and the rest of the other salvageable detail parts have gone to other 37s in the build this year, so it lives on, in kit form!

51892971199_c6bef28a52_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

The loco has a conventional wire hoop at one end, and at the other, above, a long hook, so this can then plop over a loop on another loco or tack on the end of a train formation.

51891676622_6a4e2c2860_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

I can't resist a forlorn 37/0, there's just something nice about a mundane, dull '37' just going about it's business and getting tatty around the edges!

51892633726_b80201c533_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

The prominent 'Big T' logos came from Railtec and go on so nice and easy as one-part decals, compared to the older three-part versions from Fox. 37154 had a lot of bodyside damages, dirt and rust coming through the paintwork, modelled with fine 00000 brushes and some browns, working from light to dark shades. 

51892720238_393e8fb939_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

One notable thing about the livery was the 'cut' T on one side, for some reason, there was just a bit missing, so this was removed from the decal before applying to the model. It also didn't have the 'Transrail' lettering either. 

51892719853_29b1f30bbd_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Little extra touches included drybrushing the chassis with Humbrol Metalcote gunmetal, which was then polished once dry to bring out the raised surfaces, and the snowploughs were Bachmann versions, glued to the chassis and thinned down at the rear with a mandrill sanding attachment to ensure no rub from the bogies. 

51892719228_5c533a453c_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

The unusual rectangle buffers were sourced (i.e. stolen) from one of my Hornby Class 92s. With the forthcoming Accurascale 'Dyson' behemoth, they won't be seeing the light of day much more anyway!

51891674367_733333e469_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

On its last legs!

51892631721_f2b6ad222b_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

As always, it's been a great exercise to preserve these two mighty machines in miniature; 37154 would continue spluttering along into 1999 before seeing storage and eventual transfer to the WNXX pool, ahead of the scrap man calling at Wigan in 2000.

Meanwhile, shiny red 37426 would eek out a few more years, becoming part of the EWS Sandite fleet in 2003, before eventual storage the following year. It would later be sold to DRS and stored at Carlisle where it would see out the rest of its days until meeting it's maker at CF Booth's in 2013. With so many of today's 37/4s achieving widespread celebrity status, mainline running and an almost-certain place in preservation ahead, '426 was one of the unlucky ones that just slipped through the net.

51892717578_adec5f1078_k.jpg37154 and 37426 by James Makin by James Makin - Account 2, on Flickr

Looking forward to getting these running on a variety of services!

Cheers,

James

Phwoar triple grey with big T stickers, phwooooarrr! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

On 24/02/2022 at 06:49, sb67 said:

Fantastic work James! I love the dirt on the bonnets, that is what I remember most about that class, the bonnet tops were always grimy!  

Quick question, what colour do you paint your wagon buffer heads? 

Thanks very much Steve! It is fun doing the bonnets, like you say, they always seemed to be grimy even if the rest was cleaned! I have to make a temporary 'shade' to cover the windscreens while spraying down from above with the airbrush so that they don't get caked in grime!

For the wagon buffer heads, they tend to be a mix of dark greys - Humbrol 32 mixed with 33 matt black, I normally paint the whole of the wagon underframe and buffers at the same time using Humbrols 1/32/33/62/113/186, mottled on but generally the buffer bits get the dark grey mottling with maybe a splosh of the browns added in! Anything that doesn't look quite right gets another going over, but it is rather random I must say :lol: 

I am loving your OAAs on your thread, it is making me want to get out some Hornby bodies I've had stashed for a decade or so and mate them up to some Bachmann van chassis, one of the projects on the giant long to-do list for some day! Now with all the locos completed I am getting some wagons in again, starting with the next batch of Barbels! 

21 hours ago, KDG said:

Phwoar triple grey with big T stickers, phwooooarrr! 

I've got to admit the Transrail scheme does look good! I wasn't so much of a fan as a youngster just preferring Loadhaul over Transrail or Mainline but it is growing on me as time goes by!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1