The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Phrases that should be banned

AndyB

Mr Grumpy here again. The quiet zone thread seemed to get you all going, so here's one in a similar vein.

I think it started with the London Marathon and a certain Geordie commentator. Sure he's a lovely bloke, but IMHO should be deprived of a microphone for introducing the phrase "It's a big ask" into the English language.

Since he started the ball rolling others have taken up the baton and run with it. This particular phrase seemed to have legs and it is now impossible to watch any sporting event on the tv without encountering it. I believe it is now a core competency in many sports science degrees across the land.

No doubt the 2012 Olympics will see the phrase rolled out at every opportunity.

So, here's my challenge. With less than 1 year left till the Olympics we won't be able to get the BBC/Syk/itv to use verbs as verbs and nouns as nouns. But can we come up with a new catch phrase for them to use. After all, a change is as good as a rest. :mail:

Running my own idea up the flag pole as a starter for 10.

1. His/her dreams have turned to ash on the cindered tracks of Stratford tonight.

2. The ladies rowing team have pulled tonight!

3. Life's a beach here at the volleyball for (insert country) as they crash out.

4. Tom Dalley has found that Stratford is the place to come for a real dive.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Aw, c'mon, sports commentaries down the ages have been littered with Colemanballs.Such gems as

"I can't quite see who's leading - it's either Oxford or Cambridge!" [boat race]

"We've seen a crafty Crapp here this afternoon." [County cricket]

"While you're watching the 5000 metres, all eyes are on the shot-putt, where Czycinski has pulled out a big one!" [Athletics]

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

how about

start the ball rolling

Take up the baton and run with it

seems to have legs

And most definitely

Run it up the flag pole!

:)

Cheers

Jim

How about the general mangling of the language?

I saw a sign in York the other day that referred pedestrians to a nearby "Signalised" crossing. Perhaps the ongoing confusion between "too" and "to" should be cited as another example, this isn't just restricted to the internet, I have seen it in national papers and advertisements.

Personally I don't like the phrases personal shopper (salesman) or consumer services operative (shop assistant), I do find the title of people who work in Subway quite amusing, Sandwich Artist. Always reminds me of another kind of artist!

• RMweb Gold

Almost too many to mention but my current hate list -

'arrested over' (or 'charged over'),

'outside of',

idiots who don't know the difference between 'affect' and 'effect' an oldie that one, as is -

people who don't know the difference between 'too' and 'to',

the inability to pronounce 'harassment' in English,

and not forgetting from above the dimwits who don't understand English and use the word 'signalised' when they are actually referring to the provision of signals on a road crossing and not to that road crossing signalising a change in something or other,

and finally (for now?) the ever increasing use of that moronic expression 'train station' which seems even to have crept into the lexicon of some of the ignoramus 'spokesmen' nowadays employed in the rail industry.

• Like 1

One in particular that always raises the hairs on my back is the use of "finescale" instead of "fine scale" I know it isn't sport related but this is a railway forum and I know it sounds pretty much the same when spoken but it is one of those aberrations that we as modellers can take the blame for. Yes, I know I have done it myself but when I read it it just grates. Why do we keep doing it and why don't editors put a stop to its perpetuation? It is just lazy fine scale is perfectly adequate and has every bit of meaning.

I guess I would probably put most similar language laziness in the same boat though am as guilty as the next.

As for sport - I just find the whole thing an instant turn off and simply can't get enthused by any of it.

• Like 1

I cringe every time I hear, "going forward" and as for 'different to' becoming ubiquitous instead of the correct 'different from'! :nono: How difficult is it? 'Like to', coming together; 'different from', moving apart. I actually prefer the American term, 'different than'. At least it indicates a difference.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mixing imply and infer always annoys me.

But the phrase which really raises my hackles is "I was always taught" when discussing the best way to do something.

I was always taught to think for myself. A nice conundrum. smile.gif

Martin.

the ever increasing use of that moronic expression 'train station'

But then the language is flexible and quirky, what is the logic in 'railway station' rather than 'train station' but 'bus station rather than 'roadway station'?

If you go to a bus station to catch a bus, why not a train station to catch a train?

I think its just our conditioning by years of familiarity, the youngsters don't have that so it will sound normal to them.

Regards

Keith

...If you go to a bus station to catch a bus, why not a train station to catch a train?...

English has long been renowned for inconsistencies in spelling, grammar, etymology and virtually everything else. Long may it continue these traditions.

Nick

Following the sporting theme I found these. http://members.tripod.com/evan_ferguson/colemanballs.htm

Far from banning them I believe they should be celebrated.

Enjoy! :sarcastichand:

I only applied for Olympic tickets to avoid the tv coverage and the inevitable "big asks". I believe much progress on the layout may be made that month as I hide in the garage.

A swedish footballer who had just signed a contract with an Italian club (around 20 years ago) was asked by a journalist if he knew any Italian. His answer was: "I don't even know what spaghetti is called in Italian" :dancing:

English has long been renowned for inconsistencies in spelling, grammar, etymology and virtually everything else. Long may it continue these traditions.

Hear hear. The ones who spout 'logic' are usually people who just want to change things for the sake of change, and end up speaking bastardised English/American/halfwit language.

Other phrases that highlight a poor education are "Borrow us some money" and "....my entire life" (folks ain't had their entire life 'till they're dead)!

• Like 1