RMweb

Phrases that should be banned

AndyB

• RMweb Premium

One phrase which should be banned is "The layout is almost finished". We all know it's never finished - not even "almost".

From the world of Colemanballs comes this gem from cricket commentary: "The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey".

And on the conundrum of "train station" remember that we go there to catch a "railway train" while at a bus station we, correctly, catch an "omnibus". The bus station is the place at which buses stop, the railway station is the place at which railway trains stop. On my desk I have a work station ................

• RMweb Premium

Confusing meddle and medal? One is a verb and the other a noun. The same expression "to medal" is regularly heard on tv sports shows here in Oz. That is meddling with the language.

Two of my biggest dislikes, unfortunately seen regularly on this forum among others, are : -

"Dons tin hat and ducks for cover" and "Methinks"

I know I am probably guilty of writing other people's dislikes so there is an element of stone throwing in glass houses here.

Geoff.

• RMweb Gold
Since when was medal a verb?

It's one of the great features of the English language that you can use almost any noun as a verb. Sometimes it sounds ok ("fence the area off") and sometimes it sounds odd ("helicopter him to safety"), but generally you can do it with any noun.

Of course the meaning isn't always clear. I would read "to medal" meaning to apply a medallion to something or to give someone a medal, not to receive it.

Interesting is the difference between "license your car" and "licence your car" with s or c. License is a verb and "license your car" means to obtain and pay for the tax disc. Licence is a noun and "licence your car" means to physically attach the tax disc (licence) to it.

Martin.

Someone on 5live today used the phrase "It's a big ask for him to medal". Since when was medal a verb?

There I was thinking I'd heard it all. Now I believe that I have. I'm assuming 5live is one of those low budget, community involvement stations? Init?

Two of my biggest dislikes, unfortunately seen regularly on this forum among others, are : -

"Dons tin hat and ducks for cover" and "Methinks"

I know I am probably guilty of writing other people's dislikes so there is an element of stone throwing in glass houses here.

Geoff.

I'm too frequently guilty of the latter, I believe. :whistle:

An outbreak of honesty might be fun.

No point hoping for the record to be broken in this event, all the effective performance enhancing drugs are now detectable.

The judges have already decided on the medal places, so unless someone actually falls over during the event bronze goes to...

Ten minutes into the group flopping about in a pool contest, and most of the spectators are asleep.

My pet hates (also a phrase which I hate, but as you've just read I'm guilty!) and not connected to sport

saying "Did you get my eMail" instead of saying "Hallo"

Happy Holidays

N-Scale instead of N-Gauge

OO-gauge instead of 00-gauge

And verbosity such as "aesthetically pleasing" and "at this moment in time"

Otherwise I also am guiltyof using methinks

And wasn't there a great Colemanball of "Juanterino opening his legs and showing his style" or something similar?

jgp

• RMweb Premium

I cringe (and indeed inside scream in horror) if anyone says we 'must touch base' on a particular issue.

'Thinking outside the box' is another awful phrase. I once quipped many years ago that if anyone in my department thinks outside the box on company time, they will find themselves thinking outside a Job Centre...

Also one that seems popular with a certain railway author and is trotted out in every locomotive book and magazine article he writes 'The Game of the Name'. :nono:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How about some phrases worth using?

I'm fond of "In due course." It sounds so wonderfully positive without committing you to anything at all. And you can defeat almost any argument with a good "furthermore" or two. Wonderful word.

smile.gif

• Like 1

The English language has been evolving for centuries. I never forgot a series on PBS called "The Story of English" hosted by Robert McNeil. This was nearly 30 years now I suppose, but it was fascinating (to me).

The phrase that really gets my hackles up is "The proof is in the pudding" - aaarghhh! I hear TV commentators using this all the time. Of couse, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating".

The other thing that annoys me is the glib use of "decimate" to signify that something has been (nearly) destroyed. It was a Roman concept to instill discipline. Any legion or, I suppose, other unit that ran from a battle was sentenced to be "decimated". That is, one soldier in ten was chosen by lot and then killed by his own mates - yikes! This could be an example of the evolution of English where the meaning of a word has been changed over the years to mean something else, like "gay".

If I want a bit of fun at Christmas (not Holidays!) time I will pronouce to the family on Christmas Eve that "now we don our gay apparel", from the popular song. For my mum its a signal to go on her rant about how the word gay has been perverted and so on. Very entertaining.

John

• Like 1

Female Thespians being called actors. Are there no longer any actresses?

Reminds me of the time I heard Graham Norton on "Just a Minute" talking about "How to Become a Thespian". He started off saying something like "If you want to become a thespian, you have to wear baggy cardigans and listen to kd lang CDs," then on being challenged said he'd misheard the question!

• Like 1