what is the smallest station with a direct service to london

big jim

• RMweb Premium

Coombe (Looe branch) and Combe (Oxford - Worcester line) both do not have a direct London service.

East Worthing does (15.17 Littlehampton - Victoria stops to assist with school loadings) but is already larger at 2 x 4-car platforms than one or two other contenders. Until last May it had never had a direct service and only does now thanks to the need to shift far more people than can fit into Southern's 3-car trains.

• RMweb Premium

If you're counting staff halts, then what about Wimbledon? That's short, and nearer to London.

Wimbledon is certainly short but all staff halts must be excluded as they do not have an advertised service to London!

• RMweb Premium

Wimbledon is certainly short but all staff halts must be excluded as they do not have an advertised service to London!

Battersea Pier Staff Halt, all 1 and a half metres of it actually appeared on our working diagrams as an advertised stop on a mid afternoon up Arun Valley to Victoria until late last year!!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

thought id resurect this thread after i stopped at bearley this morning with a london service, this is the view from the cab.....

847cc492.jpg

the front door is locked out of use as you can see its off the platform

i think we can say that bearley is the shortest public station in ENGLAND to have a direct service to london, there are shorter in the scottish highlands that are served by the sleeper train though

Beaten to it by Brushman. I thought of Wimbledon staff halt which in my days used to be served by the 01something from Waterloo round the Kingston loop in the down direction by crossing over!

• RMweb Premium

How about the Waterloo and City? Short trains, short platforms and a short railway as well. :smileclear:

Rather longer than Bearley and a few others in conetention. W&C platforms held a 5-car train of 1940-type stock with a little space to spare. While those cars were very much less than the "standard" 63' of a main line vehicle the platfroms required to accommodate 5 of them would cope with a 4-car train of more normal dimensions.

I saw the title and though of Newark Northgate, but looging through the replies it seems that you are after the shortest platfom length - pity really as Newark gets 5 down services from London that terminate in platform 3. it is an unusual sight to see a full IC rake next to a platform that is only two people wide between the buildings and the edge.

post-3516-0-73674200-1321903623_thumb.png

The platform is so narrow it hasn't even got the yellow line on it - That's on platform 2 :D

• RMweb Premium

Looks to be about a 6-car length from Google Maps. Certainly longer than some others already cited.

Both platforms at "Braintree" can handle 12 coach trains, there is also to stations at "Braintree Freeport" is the other one which was built for people to get to the shopping complex there.

Terry

Sorry combe on the malvern line not coombe cornwall, well spotted, combe is actually 46m, finstock is 40m

Looking again at the marlow branch i cant see a direct london service from there either, they are all change at maidenhead.

Little kimble has been mentioned but that is 90m, monks risborough is 95m

I was about to say, don't they change at Maidenhead?

I seem to be spending a fair bit of time on Platform 3 of M'head these days.

Archived