Heljan O gauge western

steve fay

I have splashed my cash on the green version D1003 and what a lovely model this is.   I have been trying to work out what shade of black the wheels should be, as when the loco was ex-works.  From looking at actual photographs, it is not clear whether they should be matt black or gloss black. Does anyone know for certain?

I have splashed my cash on the green version D1003 and what a lovely model this is.   I have been trying to work out what shade of black the wheels should be, as when the loco was ex-works.  From looking at actual photographs, it is not clear whether they should be matt black or gloss black. Does anyone know for certain?

IIRC, the wheels would have been gloss black, as this wares better than a matt finish. But on a model I'd go for a satin. 

Has anyone on here bought either of the limited editions from Tower models ?

I bought a blue one from Hattons and was so impressed not just with the model but with the outstanding service I received from them.

I set my heart on a 1015 in Golden ochre and now even have the funds in place to make the purchase, but I've been put off buying it by their unhelpfulness and the attitude I've received in emails when I've very politely asked a couple of questions.

My concern is; if this is their attitude when I'm wanting to spend over £500 with them, what would they be like if there were any problems with the model ?

Anyone else had any dealings with them?

Hi all,

I don't want to create any controversy here, honest!

I'd just like to say that viewing the pictures here and studying the model itself, I think it may well be Heljans best yet! I 'only' model ER in 7mm, my western hydraulics are all in P4, makes me wish I could do everything in 0 scale.

To say I'm unhappy with my Dapol one in 4mm is a tad harsh as it is superb but, . . . . I believe that HJ have made a better job in 7mm than Dapol did in 4mm!

Therefore, my dear Watson - I conclude that Dapol shouldn't proceed with their 0 gauge plans regarding the Western.

Over & out,

John E.

And, yes! I could still be tempted away from P4 into 7mm hydraulics!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to report back on this one, I rang Tower models who were very helpful over the phone and on Monday this week I took delivery of my new Golden ochre Western.:-D

I'd love to share a picture of her with you guys but my internet issues prevent me from uploading pics right now :-(

Needless to say I'm well pleased with it :-)

Lovely my 'andsome...!

Edit! I should open my mince pies before posting too quickly.... odd that the buffer beams on D1015 are red, they should be Golden Ochre, as should the window pillars...!

It would appear that the buffer beams have been red at some point.  Not found anything but ochre windscreen pillars though.  Probably too difficult to change that for the special edition.

http://www.westernchampion.co.uk/loco-d1015-railtour-archive-2005.php

It would appear that the buffer beams have been red at some point.  Not found anything but ochre windscreen pillars though.  Probably too difficult to change that for the special edition.

http://www.westernchampion.co.uk/loco-d1015-railtour-archive-2005.php

I should have mentioned that they were never red in it's BR days. The window pillars were white for a few days while it posed outside Swindon Works for it's famous official portrait in January '63 but it never ran in traffic like this, the pillars were repainted Golden Ochre before it was released into traffic a few days later.

Just started dealing with Tower Models in the summer and the service is first rate, always helpful and had 3 Heljan O gauge models so far and all are well packed and in top conditions

Even though I love Deltics I bought a blue western it really looks the part. I wish they had done as good a job with the Deltics - ah well!

post-5983-0-39050700-1388152062_thumb.jpg

My Severn mill plates temp fixed on to D1000 ( for my detailing bits and bobs have a look at my Ranelagh bridge thread)

Any one who has the limited model from tower please note the supplied guilplates name & number plates are wrong as they are too small D1000 had unique larger plates.

• 4 weeks later...

Readers with an interest in D1000 in Desert Sand might find it helpful to see the IA book, The Heyday of the Westerns by Derek Huntriss. This is one of the landscape format photo albums that IA have produced over the years. It contains no fewer than five shots of the loco in this livery, four with SYP.

One of the shots, dated 20th September 1963 shows the loco with SYP, but still without the extra pipes under the buffers heading a down express.This view is on Hatton Bank, and bizarrely there is an 8F coupled inside that appears to be doing all the work! Another view, dated 11th April 1964, has the loco at Old Oak, still in the livery with SYP, but now with the additional pipes, one each side, under the buffers. I understand that at some point normal depth plates were fitted, although on the 11th April 1964 picture it looks as if the original deeper ones are still there.

My own interest in this is not entirely academic, as in a fit of mindless extravagance I yesterday ordered one of these variants from Tower Models, to go alongside my maroon one. Apparently a final batch in this livery is en route from China, having been delayed awaiting motors, and some are still available for order. I have no connection with Tower, except as a happy customer over several years. 

John.

I now have a blue one, I notice however that a couple of the lifting hooks from the roof panels are missing. They are not in the box and dont look broken. Can't see these listed as a spare however. Anyone else had a similar problem. I also broke one of the brake gear mouldings but managed to get a couple of spares from Howes whose service was excellent.

Brake gear is really fragile - would have been better as a metal component .

Paul R

Ive had a lifting eye come adrift on mine too - In fairness they were all present and correct when I got the loco through the post - it's been my handling that probably dislodged one. Of all the things, these would be the most useful bits to have available as spares (I also looked for them on Howes) Worst case , I don't think it'll be too hard to make a new one from scratch.

Jon 

Archived