Heljan O gauge western

steve fay

• 3 months later...

I am painting another sample of these Westerns in BR Blue which I will weather as I have done with the maroon one. Which reminds me, I must take a picture of the maroon Western now it's weathered. It is on show in Howes together with the 40 I weathered.

I have just got hold of 2 sets of plates from Severnmill (old CGW ones) and must say they look very nice, not cheap but worth it. Mind you, you still have to paint them!

post-6766-0-69193400-1366153880.jpg

post-6766-0-91025000-1366153882.jpg

I wasn't planning on buying a '52' as they don't fit my modelling region/period but I see 'Model Rail' are quoting today Heljan O guage Westerns are coming out as:-

Green: D1003 Western Pioneer

Maroon: D1047 Western Lord

Blue: D1048 Western Lady

The photos show the painted? on nameplates in place. This has been discussed before but why are they not leaving them blank and letting the modeller choose.

OK Lord and Lady are short so could probably be covered by any new etched plate such as Brian's above but Pioneer is a bit long if you want to rename a Green one to a short name.

I just think one of the best things about the Heljan diesels is you number/name them yourself - why change for the 52?

It makes no sense to me assuming 'Model Rail' are correct.

Hopefully the forthcoming class 40 will revert to the un-numbered approach. 

The Westerns are having short names on so you can put an etched plate over them easily. Having it printed on will give you the correct placement to attach your etched plate if you want to do this. There were not many green ones unfortunatly so short names for them are at a premium.

The Westerns are having short names on so you can put an etched plate over them easily. Having it printed on will give you the correct placement to attach your etched plate if you want to do this. There were not many green ones unfortunatly so short names for them are at a premium.

Thanks for clarifying Brian - I'm no expert on 52's as I say but always take an interest in any O guage diesels. If there were not many green ones then Pioneer maybe is the shortest so everyone is happy. Anyway let's just hope they print them in the correct place on the production models. I still think those of us into O guage are clever enough to know where to put the names/numbers!

• RMweb Gold

OK Lord and Lady are short so could probably be covered by any new etched plate such as Brian's above but Pioneer is a bit long if you want to rename a Green one to a short name.

Of the green Wessies only Western Yeoman is shorter than Pioneer, but I agree with your point - customer fit plates, with perhaps a guideline on the model, or Western Yeoman ;)

Neil

Here are a couple of pictures of the sample I painted in maroon with full yellow ends. I have weathered it a bit but these pictures do not show it to it's best advantage. If you want to see it, it is in the display case at Howes in kidlington, Oxford. For some reason I can't seem to photograph the weathering as good as it looks in the flesh  :scratchhead:

Here's another picture of D1067 to show the Severnmill nameplates.

post-6766-0-10848200-1367356104.jpg

post-6766-0-32636700-1367355724.jpg

post-6766-0-42653200-1367355726.jpg

post-6766-0-07882000-1367355728.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Took the Western to my friends layout again now I have a Howes sound chip and a large speaker in the tank. It was hellfire, 3 of us stood there with grins from ear to ear. It had the real low down gut wrenching growl of the prototype and just looked the part at a scale 90mph with 6 blue and grey MkI's on.

post-6766-0-06869700-1369238154.jpg

Superb.

Of course the question is when will it arrive for all of us. Still got my fingers crossed for September and then of course the game of sneaking another loco into the house begins again. And mine will be in maroon amongst an all green fleet. How am I going to get away with it this time. :punish:

I don't know when these will in the shops. Obviously aim for Telford in September but I would put my money on it being later.

Sorry I did not take any video but my mate did. Will see how it sounds and looks and maybe do something in a couple of weeks as I am on holiday now.

We do have another sample  :boast:  I think I may detail it up a bit round the bogies and see how it looks in blue again.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived