Heljan O gauge western

steve fay

Good evening Stalwarts,

Sorry to spoil your Glory; What do the new 7mm owners think of the 'peak' above the cab? (- and apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere on the thread). I assume the loco is scaled-up from the 00 version and that there have been no cosmetic changes..?

Kind regards,

D

http://dudleysphotos.zenfolio.com/p469745693/h3b74b3c#h3b74b3c

Good evening Stalwarts,

Sorry to spoil your Glory; What do the new 7mm owners think of the 'peak' above the cab? (- and apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere on the thread). I assume the loco is scaled-up from the 00 version and that there have been no cosmetic changes..?

Kind regards,

D

It's not necessarily the case that they have just scaled it up from the OO version.  People were concerned that the O gauge 47 would be chubby, but Heljan sensibly took on board feedback from the OO version to improve the O gauge one.  I'll have to leave more knowledgeable people to comment on the Western though, but Heljan will have been aware of the criticism of the cab peak on the OO version. 

From Rugd1022 (one of those with "Western Knowledge") on 11th September:

"Nipped into Howes on the way into Oxford yesterday morning . . . the all important roof peak and cab windows look bang on . . ."

Good evening Stalwarts,

Kind regards,

D

If you look at message 22 on page one of this thread, you'll see that the 7mm Western is not scaled up from the 4mm version and has been produced from new CADs.

My replacement has arrived. I do hope this one is ok. SWMBO says the packaging is covered in fragile stickers and do not drop written many times all over the box.

Got to wait until Friday to see it when I get home.

May take it Saturday to the Carmarthen O gauge show to run it on the test track.

Hope it's OK this time.

OzzyO.

I've had a green one through today. Once the image upload issue has been sorted il post a few more pics on my canton thread.post-5983-0-05445300-1382627268_thumb.jpg

Up until now the maroon has been the most popular, I've never been a big fan of green westerns but I think it does look nice. Especially with some nice etched red plates and a weathering.

Any way this one is off to its new home.

A few quick snaps.

Wont have time to fit a V4 XL Loksound decoder but did take the time to have a quick look inside and very different to other Heljan locos.

The big metal centre box has gone so a sound chamber will have to be built to take the big Visiton speaker I use.

But the installation of a 40mm speaker in the fuel tank has become very easy. In fact they have even positioned two spigots to mount the sound chamber the ESU 40mm speaker comes with.

post-6682-0-85978300-1382713982.jpg

post-6682-0-92554300-1382713999.jpg

post-6682-0-44384000-1382714029.jpg

post-6682-0-36699000-1382714044.jpg

post-6682-0-02811200-1382714060.jpg

Very nice. Been watching a blue one run around the test track at the O gauge Carmarthen show, looked good.

I had my maroon version running around with 4 Mk1's in tow, very smart and certainly got a lot of attention.

One interesting fact I noticed on the instruction sheet that came with the loco is that it will run on curves down to 31.5 inches, 800mm radius. That's tight.

Just done the sound install on mine today and its a little different in that there is no ready made sound chamber in the middle of the loco inside like in previous Heljan locos.

But there is massive amounts of room for a ESU V4 XL decoder and Visaton 71mm x 41mm speaker in a custom built sound chamber. The sound chamber is a box really made from plastic card but the base of it has to be contoured to match the floor inside the loco and its stepped. Took about an hour to make on up to mount the speaker in.

The decoder needs a cradle to hold it as well away from the metal chassis otherwise the magic smoke will escape and no sound and motion. Simple to do and in its basic form you could use a flat bit of plastic card but I prefer to lift my decoder a tad to all better air flow around and under it.  

Also fitted a 40mm ESU round speaker in the fuel tank but with this one rather than use the spigots that Heljan provide, I have fitted the speaker and sound chamber directly to the inside of the fuel tank. If you use the spigots the speaker is away from the speaker grill in the fuel tank. Easy to fit using Blue Tac so its easily removed if need be.

Results, very good. Just need to tweak the sound project to get it running as I like with cruise / idle speed etc.

I put the cab lights on individual aux outputs so I can select them as I want rather than on all the time and directionally controlled when you change direction of the loco.

No resistors needed, all built onto the circuit boards that have the LED's on. Also the fan is the only connections to the body of the loco. Every things else is mounted on the chassis. So taking the body off and moving it out of the way is a quick job with one plug to disconnect. That's it

Have fun with yours.

TTG

• 3 weeks later...

I've received my Maroon SYP Western and I think it looks spot on. I'm going to give the bogies and underframe a light weathering including those shiny wheels and then it needs renumbering.....

Question is, which one to choose?

There are a few potential pitfalls here. I know I need to exclude Green, Ochre and Desert Sand varieties, but what about the differences between Crewe and Swindon builds? I think Drivers name brackets, OHL warning notice positioning and train name brackets/clips were all in the frame for denoting differences between the batches. Can anyone help please? Will 'Western Firebrand' fit the bill for the loco I have?

Hi Neal, Swindon built D1012 Western Firebrand will be a good choice for the HJ beastie as it comes out of the box in maroon / small yellow panels livery... the positions of the OLE warning flashes on the model look right for this machine  ;)

Other likely Swindon built candidates for the model 'as it comes' in maroon would be :

D1000 (previously desert sand but in maroon it kept the alloy crest on the secondman's side - it wore this livery from 8/10/64 to 2/6/67)

D1001

D1002 (previously green)

D1003 (previously green)

D1005

D1006

D1007

D1008

D1009

D1010

D1011

D1013

D1014

D1015 (previously golden ochre but it carried maroon from 8/11/65 to 8/11/68)

D1016

D1017

D1018

D1019

D1020

D1021

D1022

D1023

D1024

D1025 to D1029 were also Swindon built locos but did not have the headboard clips on the front which the Heljan model comes with.

D1030 to D1073 were Crewe built and had the nametag clips below the cabside windows, which the Heljan model doesn't have.

Hope that helps... ;)

Archived