RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting thread this one. Just out of interest, does anyone here still use 35mm film equipment?

In a word, yes. A trusty Canon T90 is my favourite, although I occasionally use an EOS5 alongside digital bodies. I also have a pro medium format kit which gets an occasional outing. Film still has its attractions for me, but when a 6 megapixel digital compact can equal the quality from a 35mm Kodachrome 64 transparency there's not a huge incentive to stay with it.

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting thread this one. Just out of interest, does anyone here still use 35mm film equipment? I've still got most of my old cameras hanging around and put a roll through them sometimes, almost for a bit of nostagia. Are 35mm cameras even made now? My first one was a Zenith 12 that weighs about a hundredweight but still takes a nice photo.

I think high-end 35mm cameras are still made. I'm sure Leica still churn out their M-series in 35mm format, and Nikon still make their F6. There will be others - e.g. Voigtlander's very affordable rangefinder cameras. Like you, I started with a Zenith, and have a number of film cameras gathering dust, but they really have very little value these days other than as curios. As most of my photography involves sports-cars, a Nikon F5 that chews through a 36-exposure film in 5 seconds isn't much competition for a digital equivalent which can manage about 100 shots in 14 seconds before the buffer fills up!

• 1 month later...

Very interesting thread this one. Just out of interest, does anyone here still use 35mm film equipment? I've still got most of my old cameras hanging around and put a roll through them sometimes, almost for a bit of nostagia. Are 35mm cameras even made now? My first one was a Zenith 12 that weighs about a hundredweight but still takes a nice photo.

Reading this post inspired me to bring out one of my vintage cameras when I popped out for some steam photography today. After all, if you're photographing a train that is meant to be in 1950s condition, why not use a 1950s camera to do it? I know modern film emulsions are rather different, but the optics are genuinely vintage at least. In a few years time when I've got around to buying a decent scanner I will post the results here too...

(the camera, incidentally, was a Zeiss Ikon Nettar; and I did take my DSLR with me too. An example non-train shot from the Nettar is here: Haus Berlin, Strausberger Platz, Berlin )

I finished work at 5.30 and working in Colwyn Bay I dashed on to the prom at Old Colwyn What a sight magnificent.First time I've seen a Duchess on the main line.She was like a ghost machine quiet powerful and just looking like the old Hornby Dublo Duchess Question what shade of green is she it looks totaly different to the Brunswick green of the East Coast Pacifics. being a Gresley fan I can only say Mr Stanier did design a nice loco

• 2 months later...

Mrs coach and I happened to be on Anglesey this afternoon (yuk - sun barely out and windy), so what more natural than to drive over to Malltraeth to snap the first 'North Wales Coast Express' of the season.

Larry,

Is that your personalised reg in the foreground? :yes:

Lovely picture, what a mix of coach colours behind the A4!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some super pictures on this thread Larry. I was fortunate to see 48151 last month whilst on a business trip to North Yorkshire. My colleagues alerted me to Statesman Rail's Wednesday "Fellsman" specials from Lancaster to Carlisle and so two of us bunked off for a while to snap the train as it accelerated away from the Long Preston stop on the morning of 11th July. I had expected a bit of noise and drama as this is the bottom end of the Settle & Carlisle, but the loco came past with barely an audible chuff and a clean exhaust, suggesting a very experienced and competent crew. The 8F seemed to be running very freely, with none of the clanking that might be expected of a freight loco. We saw the return too and she was running just as quietly there, albeit coasting, with more noise coming from the coaches.

post-7291-0-46157300-1343821038_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Larry. I was actually sitting astride the top of a wooden fence so I could shoot over the long grass and shrubbery. One false move and the family jewels would have been at serious risk :O.

Thanks Beast, very grateful. The Union Jack bedecked 47 took me back a few years too. When 47164 first came down on 11th October 1977 the Llandudno Junction S&T lads phoned to say they wanted their picture taking in front of the loco. It had worked a Darlington-Llandudno. Bet they are all retired now.

Let's see the picture again and i'll tell you.

Hi Larry, some very nice and interesting shots in this thread, I don't know North Wales very well, but there's a lot more variety than I expected!

I use a Canon 400D, and have had pictures at ISO400 published, they came out fine. I'd think your 600D is better from a noise perspective, too, so you shouldn't have any problem

jo

• 2 weeks later...

I used it on the platform at Ty Croes (up against a wall) on Anglesey and after the shot appeared in print a chap tried to replicate my photo.

As an aside that why 99% of the copies of the famous "Abbey Road" shot never look right. The photographer was standing 6ft high on a step ladder on the previous traffic island using a medium throw lens (I don't know what the exact specs of the lens was).

Best, Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Good photos as always.

Happened to be in Ian Allan in Cardiff today looking at the books. In the bit that deals with North Wales there were three copies of a book of photos called "Colour on the North Wales Main Line" I think taken by somebody called "Larry Goddard" ;) Nice pictures in that as well.

Cheers,

Dave

• 7 months later...

I watched her come through Colwyn Bay (Old Colwyn prom) My attempts at photos rubbish as you say into the sun but she was running beautifully quiet, like a sewing machine and she looked grand, .I must say being a North Eastern modeller it shames me to say this is the first time I have seen her.I moved down here just as she was being finished and have always managed to miss her (But well worth the wait). I wonder if it will be Union of South Africa doing the runs this summer I see she is rosterd for them

• RMweb Gold

We've had floods and high winds in NWales but never a Tornado, so as well as looking at the colour of track and rails at our local station, I photographed this years first mainline steam run to Holyhead. The cameramans curse(clouds) found us just as the train was approaching!

attachicon.gifWEB Tornado A.jpg

Is it just me that thinks that first photo looks like one of Gilbert's photoshopped images. It somehow doesn't look real. I think it's the absence of detail in the background, and the way the track just seems to disappear under the footbridge.

Having said which, they're both great photos, Larry.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that you had photoshopped it, just that it looked like one of Gilbert's shots on Peterborough North. As I said, I think it's the lack of any detail on the skyline.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Arriva Trains 150283 about to depart Tal-Y-Cafn & Eglwysbach with the 16.20 Llandudno-Blaenau Ffestiniog on 6th July 2013.

I bet the spell-checker had fun with that!

Cheers,

Mick

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I can forgive Gresley all his faults when I see the K4. What a lovely design and one of my favourites. Greenfield will move to the Scottish Region if a RTR K4 ever materializes!

Why move Greenfield ?   The Loco has been almost everywhere for the past 50 years.

I want one too !

Merf.

• 3 weeks later...

First time out in the motor this teatime since last Friday and went for the K4 returning from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Preston on the drop from Llanddulas to Abergele. Shot at 300mm which is around the equivolent of a 500mm lens on 35mm film.....

post-6680-0-82378300-1377028499_thumb.jpg

Archived