YORK 'Leaman Road' MPD - LNER 1938

Guest 2750

No problem Tony. I'm sure it will be of LNER heritage! ;)

Of the pictures I've recently discovered this is my favourite. The others show A1s which is predictable, but many show A4s, too. To me Copley Hill has a compact appearance suited to modelling. The carriage sheds at the left would make an excellent low relief background. Its the atmospheric nature with the smoky, industrial backdrop, that appeals to me in this shot.

Prototype for everything: empty wagons on the turntable. How many of us would consider this when shunting a yard!

Thanks for allowing this, Tom. :D

Tony.

PS I don't know the name of the A4 in the picture. The photo is from the flickr file of jb303, photo by A R Ross. Usual full copyright restrictions

I've decided to name my layout, CODLEY HILL - a cod-piece being a false representation of the real... ;-)

post-4901-0-34594900-1377476397_thumb.jpg

Morning Tony

I've seen this photo before (which is very nice). It's certainly full of character. Regarding the A1s and A4s, in the 50s Copley Hill had a large allocation of Peppercorn A1s and some A3s I believe. The appearance of A4s was to be expected as Copley Hill served Leeds Central, where the majority of express work was the Leeds-King's Cross runs, so Top Shed would often allocate A4s to the turns, where they would go to be serviced at Copley Hill.

It's a nice shed, with interesting locomotives. Although for me, as it's an ex GNR shed....there just isn't enough North Eastern for me! :mosking:

Morning Tony

I've seen this photo before (which is very nice). It's certainly full of character. Regarding the A1s and A4s, in the 50s Copley Hill had a large allocation of Peppercorn A1s and some A3s I believe. The appearance of A4s was to be expected as Copley Hill served Leeds Central, where the majority of express work was the Leeds-King's Cross runs, so Top Shed would often allocate A4s to the turns, where they would go to be serviced at Copley Hill.

It's a nice shed, with interesting locomotives. Although for me, as it's an ex GNR shed....there just isn't enough North Eastern for me! :mosking:

Hi Tom - gentlemen,

There were five A3s and ten A1s until 1959, following which just the ten A1s (plus others of course.) Being a particular A3 fan the earlier period is favoured.

Otherwise, I'm a ECML fan before any region. My spotting days were from 1959 till around 1963, almost all of it on the platforms of Newcastle Central. Perhaps organisations gained access to Heaton or Gateshead but otherwise you were kicked out on your arse - literally. A friend of mine was actually prosecuted after being caught at Gateshead, and this is not anecdotal.

My track-layout is 4-track mainline; its down and its staying. Essentially its a watch-the-trains-go-by layout for up to ten coach trains. Even as a relative newcomer to the hobby/obsession I knew what I wanted/needed and that hasn't changed. Copley Hill had a small coaling/sanding/plant, and a turntable close by, as above - albeit at the opposite end. So it really suits me in modelling terms as an entire piece.

Thanks again, Tom, and thank you, gentlemen, for all the *likes*. Very heartening!

Regards,

Tony.

Edited to exclude stock-list which was embarrassingly pointless!

Sounds like you have it all planned out Tony. I think it will be definitely worth you setting a thread up. :yes:

I'm currently working on A4 4901 'CAPERCAILLIE'. I've painted the wheels with Precision's LNER Crimson A4 Wheel paint, as I don't like the colour of Hornbys.

Etched nameplates are now in place and I will be adding her cabside numbers and weathering over the next few days. There is a lovely photo in Yeadon's I will be using as the basis. Lots of lovely dirt in the rivets of the valances. :D

I have a guest hopefully coming over on Friday, who is bringing some lovely LNER stock over....more on that later in the week. :)

Hi Mike, how are you doing?

That is very useful and sound right up my street. I will probably head up to Locomotion first week of September after the kids have gone back to school (and just before I commence teaching again in the second week!)

Hi Tom, doing fine thanks.

Looking forward to how your 1938 plan develops. Stunning modelling as usual.

Mike

Heavy or light weathering Tom?

Have you got Yeadon No 2? there is a photo of Capercaillie in either 1938 or 1939. She is far from clean, but as she was new in June 1938, I might not do it to that extreme.

I wouldn't say no to a single chimney, is it Hornby? I will have a double to spare too when the time comes. :) Many Thanks.

4901 all ready for weathering.

post-19999-0-88990200-1377705997_thumb.jpg

In all honesty, I'm not going to need many A4s (3 maximum I would say) and even then all 3 wouldn't appear in one operating session. If I'm correct (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) the A4s were either being used on the Coronation, West Riding, Silver Jubilee and Flying Scotsman, or the Newcastle- King's Cross Express's. I suppose as a Gateshead A4 it could turn up on a York bound Express or on an Express Goods. So although not regular, I think I have enough excuses for having them. :)

Cheers

No excuse required for an A4 Tom! Looking forward to see your weathering applied...

The A4's were of course famous for their association with the named trains, but that wouldn't provide gameful employment for all 35 of them. I suspect some also found use on the overnight sleeper trains (which of course were quite heavy) - certainly, Grantham had two allocated in 1938 for a heavy overnight sleeper working (involving working Grantham right through to Edinburgh - presumably a lodging turn for the crews?). So it's possible York might have been involved in some aspect of these operations as well?

No excuse required for an A4 Tom! Looking forward to see your weathering applied...

The A4's were of course famous for their association with the named trains, but that wouldn't provide gameful employment for all 35 of them. I suspect some also found use on the overnight sleeper trains (which of course were quite heavy) - certainly, Grantham had two allocated in 1938 for a heavy overnight sleeper working (involving working Grantham right through to Edinburgh - presumably a lodging turn for the crews?). So it's possible York might have been involved in some aspect of these operations as well?

Thanks 4479 :)

Funny you should mention Grantham's A4s, if I'm correct Osprey kept her apple green livery until September/October 1938. I'm intending to have an A4 professionally repainted for me next year to represent Osprey. :)

Hi 4479,

Could you give me the possible make-up of a sleeper. I've been buying teak-sleepers and full-brakes, recently and I need to know the worst!

Tony.

Yes, indeed. 4494 Osprey was apple green when first built (and in the more attractive style, with the green carried forward to the parabolic curve on the smokebox). I have a representation of her, based on the older Bachmann model and she is in fact the only A4 I have at the moment. So, on the look out for a blue, single chimney, non-corridor A4 so as I can have 4466 Herring Gull as the other one of the Grantham pair! Mind you, as they were allocated to work one of the overnight sleepers, during the day they would either be slumbering at the back of the shed or having a sleepover at Haymarket!

post-16151-0-50028900-1377709065_thumb.jpg

Hi 4479,

Could you give me the possible make-up of a sleeper. I've been buying teak-sleepers and full-brakes, recently and I need to know the worst!

Tony.

Hi Tony,

I don't think I have any definitive info to hand but I'll look into it.

What I do know for now is that the 1938 ECML summer timetable shows the following overnight trains (with corresponding southbound workings):

7.25 'The Highlandman' to Fort William and Inverness

7.40 'The Aberdonian' to Aberdeen (funnily enough!), Elgin & Lossiemouth

8.25 Edinburgh (no sleeping cars)

10.25 'The Night Scotsman' to Glasgow, Dundee and Perth

10.35 Edinburgh

10.45 Newcastle

1.5am Edinburgh

1.10am Leeds (no sleeping cars)

First of all - what a fantastic service (on a route that does not boast a single overnight train of any description these days - hey ho!)

Secondly, I would guess that it would be very difficult to single out any of these as 'typical'! In all likelihood, they would be a glorious mish-mash of stock. If you take the 'Night Scotsman', the timetable implies three separate portions, so each would have to be a train in its own right, hence brake vehicles throughout the train. And my guess would be that not all the accommodation would be sleeping cars by any means (probably 50% of the train at best?) others would be day coaches where, if you were lucky, you would bag a compartment to yourself for the night and get some kip on the cheap! The sleeping cars would be a mix of third class and first class vehicles, with composites possible. Also, I am aware that there were some articulated Gresley sleeping cars (just to add further interest!) but not sure of mix of classes in those.

Finally, and just to add to the difficulty, being night time trains, few pictures exist to help with research! RCTS 2A Fig 133 shows the Aberdonian heading north out of London (behind 4465 - further evidence of the use of A4s on the sleepers) - so evening shots of that train in high summer are just about possible. First vehicle looks like an all-steel BG, second vehicle looks like a day coach (possibly an FK?), thereafter it's indistinct (at least to my relatively untrained eyes). Of course, thinking about it a bit, at 7.40 in the evening, it's a bit early to go to bed(!) so perhaps if one had booked a sleeper berth, one was entitled to a seat in a compartment for the first few hours before retiring for the night? Others feel free to fill in the gaps here (if Tom doesn't mind).

Tom

Treat your self to a Golden Age models example!!

I'm sure they do the A4 in apple green.

Bloody hell Steve, I would have to take out a loan to buy that sort of thing! :sarcastic: 

Think the Hornby A4 looks better anyway! ;)

If I could afford it I would want these...... I have a colour photo of them in Leeman Road Carriage Sidings.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAVID-LAWRENCE-SCALE-MODELS-LARRY-GODDARD-D-S-KIT-BUILT-LNER-COACH-RAKE-x-5-ew-/370597313443?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5649523ba3

Archived