RMweb

Will hell freeze over before anyone does a Bullied Leader Class?

mattog

Judging by the full page ad in Hornby mag for the imminent Warley expo, there will be a Fell running amok there in 7mm. I've already contacted my therapist.

Especially if it's got sound....apparently, according to John Cove, a former Paxman director who was there at the time the Fell was being trialled, it sounded as hideous as it looked:

Finally there was the problem of the AEC auxiliary engines and the Rootes blowers they drove to supercharge the main engines. In the station, with maximum boost required for starting the train from rest the noise from these was hideous, especially as it was added to the noise caused by the radiator fans and six engines also running. At that time a number of competitors were running various other prototypes on British Rail and when the Fell locomotive passed them their service engineers always made a point of ostentatiously blocking their ears!

http://www.paxmanhis....uk/paxfell.htm

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Golden Arrow .......

http://www.semgonlin...gapldr-kit.html

Ha! beat you to it Graham, serves you right for playing astonauts :lol:

Thanks Ian...im back from playing astonauts now....

He is my Bulleid Leader made up using some of the Golden Arrow Production parts (and as seen on Fisherton Sarum)

post-243-0-43038600-1318705856.jpg

Note to OP, it is of course Bulleid not Bullied...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the original post apparently some US based religious character has predicted that the world will end this coming Friday (21 October) so perhaps the question should be 'Will the world end before anyone does an r-t-r Bulleid 'Leader'?

(BTW the US gent involved previously predicted that the world was going to end in, I think, May this year but has since confirmed that date was an error on his part and it was merely the date on which the 'chosen few' to survive were picked.

Going back to the original post apparently some US based religious character has predicted that the world will end this coming Friday (21 October) so perhaps the question should be 'Will the world end before anyone does an r-t-r Bulleid 'Leader'?

(BTW the US gent involved previously predicted that the world was going to end in, I think, May this year but has since confirmed that date was an error on his part and it was merely the date on which the 'chosen few' to survive were picked.

Yes, ninety year old Mr. Harold Camping is hoping that the third time is the charm. His first prediction was September 6, 1994, followed by May 21, 2011 and now October 21, 2011. Apparently we can anticipate earthquakes as a precursor. He was able to survive a stroke since he pushed out his earlier prediction by some five months.

I feel like I can predict with some confidence that we won't see either an RTR Leader or the end of the world next Friday. Won't I look silly if we did? :blush:

Perhaps a bit sarcastically, I'd rather ask 'will we see a plastic moulded, RTR, as-built Merchant Navy before we see a Leader'?

• Like 1

A RTR Fell or 10800? Well count me in I will certainly have one, especially if there is a coice of the 4-8-4 or 4-4-4-4 wheel arrangements!

Hello all,

:offtopic: I always thought that the Fell loco was more like a 4-D-4 or a 4-Do-4 as IIRC it had gears between the driving wheels as well as coupling rods and traction motors on each axle?

OzzyO

Hello all,

:offtopic: I always thought that the Fell loco was more like a 4-D-4 or a 4-Do-4 as IIRC it had gears between the driving wheels as well as coupling rods and traction motors on each axle?

OzzyO

Traction motors?? it was full diesel mechanical drive, via the Fell Differential Gearbox of considerable complexity, which was it's downfall. The auxillary diesels powered the electric supplies for heating etc, and starting the main diesel engines. The complex arrangement was to provide as near stepless gearbox ratios as possible, as the locomotive pulled away under full power, and then to cut back as it reached normal speed.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

I said the Auxiliary engines started the main engines, in fact the same Batteries that were charged by the Auxiliary engines started the main Four Paxman Diesels, and it's official designation was 4-8-4, although as the central pair were connected by the rods, the gearbox connected the inner sets as well.

In use it was found the middle couplings rods were simply not needed, the gearbox did the coupling on it's own, and in theory the designation remains the same at 4-8-4 , despite the change. It was smoother running with the rods altered. but by all accounts it was remarkably smooth anyway, just very noisy!!!!

Edited by bertiedog

Then perhaps it could be a stationary model or supplied in bits as was its fate for much of its life. A DCC controlled burning fireman might be a nice touch too. As a side note, does anyone know what became of the shed plates and other bits? Same place those of the Blue Pullman went?

I've just read - in an article about John G. Click for a forthcoming Steam World - that JGC had the numberplate off 36001 over his fireplace.

CHRIS LEIGH

A real Leader is below, the first Atlantic to run in this country....

I am sure that we will get the GNR/LBSCR Atlantic family at some point, possibly provoked by the LBSCR build getting operational?

Going back to the original post apparently some US based religious character has predicted that the world will end this coming Friday (21 October) so perhaps the question should be 'Will the world end before anyone does an r-t-r Bulleid 'Leader?'...

Never ceases to amaze me that the followers of these charlatans do not detect the complete logical inconsistency of their position. The source text they depend on indicates in plain language that the date is and will forever remain unknown to humankind; until it happens.

and it's official designation was 4-8-4, although as the central pair were connected by the rods, the gearbox connected the inner sets as well.

Hello Stephen all,

as I did say I was working from memory so I don't know why I mentioned traction motors when the Fell loco was a D.M. loco.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

I've just read - in an article about John G. Click for a forthcoming Steam World - that JGC had the numberplate off 36001 over his fireplace.

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi Chris

Indeed he did, I am unware of what happend to it when he passed on, his photographs were given by his estate to the NRM (which is why they were availble for the Second book on the Leader by K.Robertson), maybe the NRM got the plate too if those dealing with his estatre even knew of its significance?

He was, when I spoke to him many years ago, in the process of writing his own book about his time on the Southern and also the Leader but to my knowledge this manuscript has never come to light as it is not with NRM.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A very distant horizon I think you will find that announcement is at least two years old!

Bear in mind they advise the release appeared in issue 19 of Hornby Magazine and we are now on issue 58!

• Like 1

Martin

A very distant horizon I think you will find that announcement is at least two years old!

Bear in mind they advise the release appeared in issue 19 of Hornby Magazine and we are now on issue 58!

Another forum had news of the project still going ahead, can't remember the details though. Maybe the Dapol guys have some further information?

Hi Everyone,

As they don't intend to proceed until there is sufficient commitment from buyers it could be quite a while. It's actually surprising there isn't a model of it already, it would be fascinating to watch and to hear too if anyone has an idea of how to represent how it sounded. Wrong scale/era/region for me and a completely bonkers design but a compelling subject - following with interest.

Peter

Looking at the shop's website it's not exactly the most settled business I have ever seen and it appears to now be a one man band.

That is not to say they are not capable of delivering this project but I wouldn't put any money up front to a company with no proper website and an online shop that has very little stock whose opening hours look to be Saturday and Sunday.