Spare DCC Controller at Exhibitions

Jack

So for those who take their dcc layouts to exhibitions, do you take a spare controller in case of failure? I recently attended one exhibition where the operators hadn't taken a spare controller and were sitting there with an unworkable layout as a result of their only controller failing. Does going DCC on the exhibition circuit mean buying two systems? Sounds expensive if you want to be sure your not going to disappoint the paying public ...

I've helped a friend run a dcc layout..using Digitrax control gear. The first time he had two Zephyr's, one configured as a command centre, the other as a booster. We also had two hand held slaves giving us 4 control points. If the command centre Zep. died, we could configure the booster to be the new command centre, reducing us to 3 control points. In later years a DCS100 was used as the command centre, as we wanted routing. So with such an overkill, we never had a failure!

But with an earlier DC layout we did...the point control system packed in...but no-one noticed.

For a high profile show, it's well worth having a backup..even if it's not yours, get a mate to bring their DCC system..just in case.

After all..you have spare locos, coaches, wagons......

Perhaps an enterprising entrepreneur could start a business renting out spare dcc systems for shows...

I have also seen a DCC layout with a dead short ( not at a show near Tamworth ) that stopped everything running. The layout hadn't been wired with this possibility in mind, the ability to isolate parts of the trackwork. There were people over and under the baseboards trying to find the fault, it took them a long time as they had to comb the whole layout before finding the cause. I never did find out, but it was probably something trivial.

Malcolm

Sorry Jack, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "do you take a spare controller in case of failure?" and "....where the operators hadn't taken a spare controller and were sitting there with an unworkable layout as a result of their only controller failing".

By "spare controller" do you mean a spare handset or another complete spare/backup DCC system ?

Presumably the latter?

Ron

• RMweb Gold

Your DCC controller failing is equivalent to your transformer failing in DC, or if you only have one controller that dying.

Yes, it might be expensive, it all depends on your controller.

We have duplicates (at least) of all the key components so a failure does not mean the system stops, it's not just the controller, your base station, any transformers, any block detectors, point motors, accessory decoders etc. etc. basically if something can fail and stop the layout - carry a spare (if you can!)

At the last exhibition I attended, I took along two NCE Power Cabs. One acted as master, the other as slave but of the master failed I only had to swap the two, with the possibilty that the failed master might still be able to act as a slave.

In the event, nothing untoward happened at all, but I do like to play it safe. I didn't fancy being stuck all day at the exhibition explaining to people what should be happening on the layout!!! ?  :D

• RMweb Gold

At Wycrail I had disco-dave's Powercab under the layout just in case Dynamis would not get a signal (which happened at the Elizabethan) but as it happened Dynamis was faultless (like the layout) all day biggrin.gif

For next season I am investing in a Powercab so that we can run two throttles on the layout when there are two operators

• RMweb Gold

My thinking is towards taking two systems to a show to ensure that if there is a problem with my controller it dosnt kill the layout. Certainly when I finally get round to buying a new system I will be keeping my current Powercab as a reserve.

Thankfully most people who I will pester to come and help with the layout have their own systems, so thats one option to get a 2nd system brought along.

As a third level of redundency should both the DCC controllers die, it would also be possible to wire in the old Hornby trainset controller that I use to power my point motors, so at least I could get one train working.

So for those who take their dcc layouts to exhibitions, do you take a spare controller in case of failure? I recently attended one exhibition where the operators hadn't taken a spare controller and were sitting there with an unworkable layout as a result of their only controller failing. Does going DCC on the exhibition circuit mean buying two systems? Sounds expensive if you want to be sure your not going to disappoint the paying public ...

I would not attend an exhibition without a spare controller, either for Dc or dcc.

I picked up a 2nd hand dynamis for ??60 so i can now run two handsets (no pro box) and still have a spare power pack and reciever /box.

i also take spare everything i think i may need, points (pre wired), wire etc etc.

Sorry Jack, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "do you take a spare controller in case of failure?" and "....where the operators hadn't taken a spare controller and were sitting there with an unworkable layout as a result of their only controller failing".

By "spare controller" do you mean a spare handset or another complete spare/backup DCC system ?

Presumably the latter?

Yup.

Thank you for the responses everyone.

The reason I asked was because at a recent show i attended the main layout (it was a small show) was DCC. Their all-singing all-sinking ZTC setup had failed and they didn't have a spare system. It wasn't the kind of show with traders selling systems either. It basically meant the layout was a dead duck. Shame, because it was a top layout and one of the main reasons for visiting the show.

It got me thinking because Nell's Bridge is DCC. Also, I've wired the point controllers up with the Lenz module, straight into the bus, and I was left thinking what i'd do if the command station or power pack failed. I didn't want to plug a DC controller straight in because I would have no point control and didn't want to risk damaging the point module.

... of course, Nell's Bridge is far from exhibitable atm, so I guess i've got time to save up for some spare components!

Thanks again.

With Lenz kit, it might be worthwhile to find a cheap Compact - it can act as a throttle on a command station (including another Compact), but can be a control station in a pinch (the main limitation being that it only supports 2-digit addresses).

Even though only a section of our layout runs DCC or Live Steam (and has backup DC control), we will have a minimum of 2 DCC controllers and 2 Live Steam controllers available at the next show.

Adrian

Trains on time were flogging Bachmann EZ commands for about ??25 a while back, not sure if they still offer that but they probably still do. But apart from shorting out a dynamis the only other problems I've ever had have come from the systems transformer going. With my Roco system the transormer died and I just tried my Bachmann dynamis transformer as it was to hand and it worked fine. So It'd get a spare plug in transformer from maplins (or other such stores/shops) at the very least.

• RMweb Gold

The only time I've had a real problem at a show with DCC kit was a ZTC511 going wrong, fortunately it was just a dirty pot so a good dose of switchcleaner and it was back in action. I then had one lock up on me at Nottingham so took it to the ZTC stand where David Nicholson solved the problem (in this case it was only a slave anyway so not crucial)

The only other problem that I've had was at one show where the whole lot died. The problem was very soon traced to operator error, we'd got two Lenz systems with us and had plugged in the wrong transformer, using only the 3 amp one instead of the 5 amp. Once the transformer was swapped no further problems.

I would always carry far more kit that I need though. We have extra handsets, a complete spare lenz set 100, and an ECoS, so we can always get something running.

I even carry a backup of the computer software and operating file on memory stick and CD rom (as well as an online copy stored on one of my Yahoo! groups) so that if the laptop goes down we can be up and running on one of our other operators machines in minutes.

Andi

I am fortunate that the two model railway groups that I belong to, are in the main DCC orientated.

When attending exhibitions with a layout we alway borrow a friends system (Master and transformer) as back up.

We have been fortunate that we have never had to call on the back up unit.

At one show the throttle control went on the master, so loco control was passed to a handheld slave, that had been designated for fiddleyard use.

I have a cheaper system for use on my workbench, and as an emergency backup should none of my friends systems be available.

Gordon

Bristol

Several of the guys in our group have similar Lenz 90/100 sets, so between us we always plan to have two base units at a show, one working the layout with the second one works the programming track so you don't need to take the layout offline to fiddle with the CVs on something - plus it gives the opportunity to swap if there was to be a serious fault.

I always take a spare controller and tranny setup. I can call on several friends who have DCC gear to borrow. When they go to shows, mine sometimes travels as a spare for them.

The person who goes to a show without spares is chancing their luck. If you are DC, and you get a failure, there may be a spare controller around, or there may be a stall selling them, but once again, you could be out of luck.

I have to say having attended quite a lot of exhibitions, the only failure I've had was the pot pushed through. The controller kept going as a master, though it wouldn't control the trains, they were controlled by the slaves.

It may not be a good idea to take a spare controller of another make, exhibitions are stressful enough without having to "learn" a new controller.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just found this interesting topic whilst searching for Powercab references (just brought one from Bromsgrove Models), and am interested in stories of critical failures of DCC equipment. I've used a Lenz Compact & Handset at about a dozen shows and had the unit configure itself as a slave once, and a broken wire to a plug on the handset lead another time.

Before the Anti-DCC brigade jump on me, these issues were fixed within minutes, and i've certainly witnessed bigger failures to layouts in all areas, not just the control but accidental damage, stock failing, and important kit being left behind...!! I once did a criticality study and worked out the worst loss would be a loco going out of action, as that would really stop the layout. So for the last few shows i've always taken a spare model of 298, although it's yet to be painted.

Archived