The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

An intriguing unsolicited phone call about our computer...

Rugd1022

Last Wednesday while I was at work my other half Sue had an interesting phone call out of the blue, which had us both slightly mystified, so I thought I'd ask if anyone on here can shed some light on the matter....

Picking up the phone, an Indian voice at the other end said to Sue (without introducing himself first) "you are having problems with your computer, it is very slow", before she could answer he continued..."I am calling from Windows Operating System and you have downloaded a program whch contains a virus which will make your computer slower and slower, go and switch it on and I will help you remove it". This isn't quite word for word as the chap was speaking so quickly Sue didn't have time to take it all in, but he carried on, repeatedly asking her to switch the pc on, she replied more than once that she was busy and didn't have the time, in the end the chap was speaking so fast and persistantly that she just hung up! When I came home from work she told me all about it, and was worried that it might be a bogus call from someone trying to access our pc remotely for nefarious reasons..... we've never had anything like it before, but our pc has been giving us the run around of late and it seemed like an odd coincidence getting the call just as it's started slowing down a lot more than is usual.

Sue used her noddle and rang 1471 straight away for 'caller id' but got the usual ''you were called today at such and such...". She has done a full Norton anti-virus scan and nothing untoward has shown up, and also done a deeper scan via the Norton website, again with no problems rearing up.

So chums.... If it was a genuine call from 'WOS' is it normal practice to make unsolicited calls? We know that banks don't do it, despite a lot of people falling for such scams.... any help will be gratefully received!

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that the help in removing a virus might actually be help in accessing the PC to see if there is any data e.g. credit card details, worth nicking.

Windows is Microsoft, and I am not aware that they ever ring anybody!

Microsoft would never call you. Its a well known scam. They persuade the receiver to logon and install a piece of malware, under the pretense that you're installing a fix. The malware would then allow access to an outside user and possibly install a keylogger. The keylogger would record all the keystrokes on said PC, i.e. bank website, sort code, passwords etc etc.

If they call again just hang up.

I had the same call today from an Indian chap calling himself Simon, they always pick English sounding names for some reason. If he had come clean and said he was Sanjay it would have made no difference to me. I'd have hung up either way.

Genuine companies never call out of the blue in my experience.

• RMweb Premium

I get one of these a fortnight, usually from 'Microsoft' or 'Windows' ; it's a complete scam. On no account let them access your computer, or give them your credit card details.

A recent 'win' for the scammers here:-

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/32a555565eddf429#

When I came home from work she told me all about it, and was worried that it might be a bogus call from someone trying to access our pc remotely for nefarious reasons.....

That is exactly what it is. No reputable company would make unsolicited calls using a call centre staffed by operatives whose English is that poor. Hang up on them.

Hi Nidge

This is an attempt to get you to download software (for a fee of course and that means parting with your card details!) that will allegedly fix the problem with your computer. There is of course, no problem with your computer! You also have no way of knowing what the software will do to your computer system.

The callers have no connection with Microsoft - it's a simple scam perpetrated on the unwary. How long you want to listen to them and put up with the nonsense is up to you. Some people baffle them by stringing them along asking spurious questions until they give up. Alternatively, if you can put them on hold - it's their telephone bill that suffers.

So - do not divulge any personal details - even your name and address and especially not card or bank details.

Regards.

Guest dilbert

Unfortunately a well known scam.

If your are having perfromance problems, than I would do a least check how full the system disk drive is - if > 75% - 80% then remove unwanted stuff (like temp file etc...). Perform a defrag of the system drive. If that doesn't clear out performance issues, then rebuilding the O/S environment is a probably a must. I do this on a yearly basis (when renewing f/w and a/v environments - a bit of a pain, but worthwhile in the long run (make sure you save any personal data beforehand)... dilbert

I get one of these a fortnight, usually from 'Microsoft' or 'Windows' ; it's a complete scam. On no account let them access  your computer, or give them your credit card details.

A recent 'win' for the scammers here:-

http://groups.google...a555565eddf429#

Better still, don't even acknowledge it is even you on the end of the phone. Even if the caller asks for you by name. Get them to identify themselves first by name and company. Only if you know them, continue the conversation. If you do not know them it is a cold call, treat it as suspicious, tell them to send you information by post (only if you think there is something worthwhile for you), maybe ask for their number to call them back, but never give them any details. Even acknowledging that it is you at the other end of the phone can give them more information to scam with.

The best thing is never to pick up the call in the first place. Use CLI for your friends and family and let everything else go to answerphone. If it is really important they will leave a message.

My standard reply is to say that I am an OAP (now unfortunately true) and do not own a computer. I know that is unlikely in this day and age but it does shut them up. I will now send this stone tablet...

Tony

What I do with these pr*cks is to try to see how long I can keep them on the phone.

I use various tricks like telling them to hang of while I turn the stove off. I also act dumb and pretend to act dumb and mix up their instructions (while not actually doing anything).

My best is about 10-12 minutes. I've noticed they don't call any more.

Which reminds me of this answer to this problem. The phone answerer pretends that the telemarketer has called a murder scene. I think it is very funny.

• RMweb Gold

I've had this one several times and am now taking a very straightforward line in plain Anglo-Saxon with the caller but yesterday we had another call -which Mrs Stationmaster answered and her response made even me blush although I regret the scam-merchant on t'other end probably lacked sufficient English to understand exactly what she meant him to do with his telephone.

Thanks again for your replies gentlemen. Sue is normally pretty well up on these things but it was the timing of the call that threw her really, since the pc has been dragging it's heels in the last couple of weeks a lot more than usual, it seemed to be too much of a coincidence.

Mike - Mrs.Staitonmaster and Sue must be cut from the same cloth, as she's rather adept at cutting off cold callers at the front door in similar Anglo-Saxon fashion ;)

Dilbert - many thanks for the handy tips!

Look at it this way. There are enough people who run Windows, and think it runs more slowly than it ought to, for these people to call numbers from the phone book at random (so they know your name) and get enough victims falling for it to make it worth their while. Going ex-directory might help.

Guest Natalie Graham

. There are enough people who run Windows, and think it runs more slowly than it ought to.

Isn't the second part of that sentence an inevitable consequence of the first?

I've also been getting these calls for a month or two now; probably a call every fortnight or so.

Some of these guys are very insistent or mildly aggressive, but it's the same old line.

I got one just a few days ago purporting to be my "Windows operating system maintenance service" and was told that my computer's Windows operating system was reporting an "error message" to indicate it was infected with a Trojan Horse.

I asked him if he was sure it was the Windows operating system? He said that was correct, repeating the supposed problem and was very insistent that I switched on my computer.

Not being fooled for one minute, I tried to quiz him to confirm who he was representing, but he was very evasive and repeated his line about the urgency of the situation.

I said "what if i told you that there must be a mistake because I don't have a computer with a Windows operating system?"

At first puzzled by this he became slightly more aggressive insisted it was my Windows operating system that was infected and that it must be sorted out immediately.

I repeated my question, asking what if I didn't have a computer running a Windows operating system. He said I did run that OS and stated my name and full address !!!!!

I asked "what if I told you we only run a computer with another OS and not Windows?" He replied, "in that case sir I would call you a liar !"

I said pardon? and he repeated that if I told him that, I was a liar !!

Well I really had him riled.

After a short exchange of words, I rang off .

Indian eh ?

Thanks for calling, I'll have 2 onion bajees, a Papadom and a twice hot vindaloo with pillow rice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Total scam. Had em myself. Play their game, take the pi** out of em.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Had those calls too, unfortunately I get bored easily and can do time and distance maths so that doesn't help.

Incoming: Is your pc slow? etc et

Me: why yes it is actually

Ic: we need to log on etc etc etc

Me: ok its my work one I'll go and get it can you call back in ten minutes?

Ic: yes ok

Ten mins later

Ic hello we called earlier etc etc

Me: oh yeh havn't got it yet, you see I work 25 miles away I realised after you called I wouldn't have time to get it and get back here, so I've not got it yet can you call back in half an hour? ....

You can see where that ends up.... Alternatively just ask them which computer they're asking about, as you have three ... Hours of fun.

Archived