a1 partwork Flying Scotsman

• RMweb Gold

64650 gtfc

Try and see if you can get hold of some Loctite 601 (red bottle) from Eileens Emporium or another supplier. This is a "retainer" fluid (green) which, unlike "superglue" would alllow you to remove the retaining screws in the future whilst locking them in place under normal running.

I got a set of Slaters axles for mine. They fit the wheels much better and also the retaining screws are better formed. I found the socket in the Hachette screws tends to round off easily making it difficult to remove.

I also had the problem with the soft screws. I have tightened them up so many times they have rounded. I have some slaters wheels for a Bulleid pacific kit I am going to build after this one. I will try these and get some spare screw at a later date. I had thought about Loctite too. Once I have got the chassis painted and the valve gear on I may try it.

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd let you all know there's quite a lot of photo's of the Flying Scotsman on flickr.com some are official pictures, others seem to be taken by adventurers and enthusiasts. There are also some that are historical in nature

cheers

Mark

Can one ask where do you get these replacement screws for the wheels, and are they better than the ones we have

now, and is it necessary to keep removing wheels and putting them on again..

Excuse me for asking..

Ted

Pecksniff and all,

Items mail order, Phone 01427 848880.

You want 6BA X1/4" Counter sunk socket (Allen) screws, £3.26 for ten, 0.050" (1.27mm) Allen key .33p. These are the same size as used by Slater's and Walsall.

Down side min. order of £10.00 (blame the banks for the bank charges for that one). Have dealt with him for a good number of years, phone order in on Tues. normally on my mat Wed.

OzzyO.

Pecksniff and all,

Items mail order, Phone 01427 848880.

You want 6BA X1/4" Counter sunk socket (Allen) screws, £3.26 for ten, 0.050" (1.27mm) Allen key .33p. These are the same size as used by Slater's and Walsall.

Down side min. order of £10.00 (blame the banks for the bank charges for that one). Have dealt with him for a good number of years, phone order in on Tues. normally on my mat Wed.

OzzyO.

A word of warning to anyone thinking of buying these screws; the Hachette axles are tapped with a METRIC thread and BA screws will not fit. You will need to replace both screws and axles with the Slaters equivalent.

Regards

Donald

A word of warning to anyone thinking of buying these screws; the Hachette axles are tapped with a METRIC thread and BA screws will not fit. You will need to replace both screws and axles with the Slaters equivalent.

Regards

Donald

So what your saying Donald you have to invest in slaters wheels, is this a ploy by Hatchette

and also if I dont get proper Flying Scotsman Named plates and they try to fob me off with transfers it will go

where it belongs down the local tip.... :angry:

Regards..

Ted..

Slaters actually do a set of 3 axles (part no X78002G) which are machined to give 120° "quartering", which is correct for 3 cylinder locos such as the Scotsman. As it is impossible to see both sides of the loco at one time it is not essential to use these, but anyone who wants their loco to be as accurate as possible might be interested.

Donald

Hi Guys,

I really don't like the way we're supposed glue these cylinder covers onto the zamac bit that we screwed onto the chassis in previous issues! is anybody doing anything different? I don't see those covers staying on there very long!

I'm definitely not going that route it's rubbish! ( and that's being polite ), just trying to come up with a better way of putting these things together. When I do I'll post it

Mark

Should this be in the 5 oclock position or the 6 oclock position as in the front cover

Hi Pecksniff

The five o'clock position (and seven o'clock on the opposite side) is correct going by photographic evidence.

Regards

Donald

Thank you Donald and John

I have looked at several pics and at different eras they seem to be at 5 or 6 or is it just me..lol

seems strange they publish a photo on the front cover with them in 6 oclock position

again thanks..

Ted..

Hi, Hudsonrobert69,

I personally would'nt go that road! if you can take off the boiler and seperate it from the foot plate you'll end up with clean lines,that's the way I'm going-also I'm leaving the hand-rails off as well,remember the "Lining still to go on",hope this is of help.---ROB

Hi, Hudsonrobert69,

I personally would'nt go that road! if you can take off the boiler and seperate it from the foot plate you'll end up with clean lines,that's the way I'm going-also I'm leaving the hand-rails off as well,remember the "Lining still to go on",hope this is of help.---ROB

Blue Peter, yes was helpful, i had forgot about the Lining still to go on, they would be best done after painting the boiler. thanks mate :D

Hi Guys,

I really don't like the way we're supposed glue these cylinder covers onto the zamac bit that we screwed onto the chassis in previous issues! is anybody doing anything different? I don't see those covers staying on there very long!

I'm definitely not going that route it's rubbish! ( and that's being polite ), just trying to come up with a better way of putting these things together. When I do I'll post it

Mark

Hi mark, "ARLDITE" WORKS OK!!---ROB

I have to say I do think some of you have a remarkable lack of faith in modern adhesives. Provided the surfaces are clean, the adhesive suitable, and of reasonable quality, you can stick most things successfully. Most things in modern industry glued together these days. In any case, worst thing is that you have to stick back on again!

Archived