a1 partwork Flying Scotsman

Gentlemen

Having received the corridor connection casting in issue 123, the I considered how best to attach this to the tender body. Whilst gluing for a non-structural component might be OK, it would ned to be done after both the tender and corridor connection had been sprayed and I was not too happy risking the paint job with glue appearing around the edges of the painted casting and being visible on the tender rear. I have, therefore, arranged for the casting to be boltable to the tender body after all the paintwork is complete.

The attached photograph shows how easy this is to arrange. I drilled and tapped four holes in the back of the casting 10BA (about 3mm deep), then used a larger drill to make a "countersink" for each of the holes. Tin the ends of the 10BA bolts, screw into the casting, apply a dab of phosphoric acid flux and a small amount of low-melt solder and the bolts are secure and the "countersinking" filled. Cut the heads off the bolts, file the ends smooth so that the nuts can be screwed on, drill four matching holes in the back of the tender body and voila - I can paint both components separately and assemble without risk of glue getting where it shouldn't. Cost - 4 nuts and bolts and a few minutes work with drill, tap and soldering iron.

There is also now no risk of a glue/paint/plastic joint failing which, given the weight of that casting, must be a possibility. Hope this helps someone

post-8103-127465870853_thumb.jpg

Hi All

After receiving permission to show this picture on this website From David Hey..this was taken in 1928

I thought you might like work out which one of us is who... :rolleyes:

Apologies this photo seems to be earlier than 1928 as the valve gear was modified after 1927

I take that to be that square bit running down the side John..still an interesting photo

so it would be more streamlined in 1928 also notice the brass on the wheel covers for the exhibition

in 1924.....this mistake is he result of looking through hundreds of pages of steam loco's sorry folks.

post-2910-127468460949_thumb.jpg

Here is a piece of information that I collected from the collecters corner on basset lowke models

BL99022 Class A3 4-6-2 Flying Scotsman Loco with 2 Tenders in LNER Green (1928 Record Breaker Livery)

The LNER Class A3 Pacific locomotive number 4472 "Flying Scotsman" (originally no. 1472) was built in 1923 for the London and North Eastern Railways at Doncaster Works to a design of Sir Nigel Gresley. The locomotive was later renumbered to 60103 by British Railways following nationalisation. It was employed on express trains on the East Coast Main Line from London King's Cross to Doncaster, Leeds, York, Newcastle-upon-Tyne or Edinburgh. It was commonly employed on the Flying Scotsman service, its namesake, from London to Edingburgh. It ended service with British Railways in 1963, and was sold to preservation. It had removed the German styled smoke deflectors and fitted with the famous corridor tender as first fitted in 1928 to enable it to haul the first non-stop train from King's Cross to Edinburgh on 1st May - the longest non-stop run in the world at the time. A lined LNER Doncaster green livery was chosen. With the demise of BR steam, water supplies were hard to get, and so 1966 saw the addition of the Flying Scotsman's famous second tender. This tender was a corridor type, which was adapted to store 6000 gallons of water. Limited Release.

So the 4471 makes even less sense..

Hi kramskee

I used bakers fluid number 3 and low temp 145 degree c solder

what method are you going to use to paint the tender Stan

Regards

Ted.

Ted

My tender body is removable from the underframe and te corridor connection is removable from the tender body so there is less marsking than there would otherwise be.

Firstly a coat of etch primer (U-Pol Acid #8 in an aerosol from Halfords). Then, using an airbrush (Devilbiss Super 63E - had over twenty five years) with my ancient compressor at about 40psi:

Buffer beam: Precision Paints B50 (Signal Red - dull) - good but takes an age to dry!

Underframe: Revell SM302 (Semi-matt black) - always been happy with Revell though not tried this colour before although do not anticipate a problem

Tender body (green): Precision Paints P50 (LNER Loco Green - dull) - have used to paint wheels and gives a good finish

Tender body (black) As for underframe

Woodwork: Humbrol 121 (Pale "woodish" colour) - will apply with a brush and, well thoroughly dry, will give a thin wash of matt black to pick out the woodgrain

I'm also going to use a good quality low-tack masking tape (I believe Tamiya do one) for masking off rather than the DIY supermarket "finest".

Not decided about varnish yet - might use an Aerosol but it wil be semi-matt whatever I decide.

For the tender handrail knobs, I have tinned this with 155 solder and polished with a fine wire brush. I shall mask these with Humbrol "Maskol" which is a thin rubber solution applied with a fine brush which, when dry, provides a mask. After the tender body is painted, I will remove the mask using a cocktail stick. I shall not be fitting the handrails to the tender until after painting and I have not yet decided whether to use nickel-silver or steel wire.

For the window to the corridor, I will use "Micro Krystal Kleer" (available from Eileen's Emporium - usual disclaimer) which is a viscous white liquid which one can "drag" around the rim of the window with a small brush to fill the window aperture and which dries clear.

Hope this helps

Regards, Stan Owen

Here is a piece of information that I collected from the collecters corner on basset lowke models

BL99022 Class A3 4-6-2 Flying Scotsman Loco with 2 Tenders in LNER Green (1928 Record Breaker Livery)

The LNER Class A3 Pacific locomotive number 4472 "Flying Scotsman" (originally no. 1472) was built in 1923 for the London and North Eastern Railways at Doncaster Works to a design of Sir Nigel Gresley. The locomotive was later renumbered to 60103 by British Railways following nationalisation. It was employed on express trains on the East Coast Main Line from London King's Cross to Doncaster, Leeds, York, Newcastle-upon-Tyne or Edinburgh. It was commonly employed on the Flying Scotsman service, its namesake, from London to Edingburgh. It ended service with British Railways in 1963, and was sold to preservation. It had removed the German styled smoke deflectors and fitted with the famous corridor tender as first fitted in 1928 to enable it to haul the first non-stop train from King's Cross to Edinburgh on 1st May - the longest non-stop run in the world at the time. A lined LNER Doncaster green livery was chosen. With the demise of BR steam, water supplies were hard to get, and so 1966 saw the addition of the Flying Scotsman's famous second tender. This tender was a corridor type, which was adapted to store 6000 gallons of water. Limited Release.

So the 4471 makes even less sense..

That's cos its totally wrong and should be No.1564

Hi All

After receiving permission to show this picture on this website From David Hey..this was taken in 1928

I thought you might like work out which one of us is who... :rolleyes:

An interesting photo Pecksniff, which shows a 'boxed in pipe' of some description (what ever it is), which runs along the length of the left-hand side of the boiler, which appears to be missing from the model?

Thanks for the rundown on the paint job on the tender Stan

I have been trying to track down plate numbers and their origins but keep hitting a blank wall about who

took over what and duplicated plates for sale theres a chap in my neck of the woods who pid £200

for replica flying scotsman nameplates must get there and take a picture sometime

regards

Ted..

Gentlemen

Just a minor question. In issue 123, the instructions deal largely with the painting of the tender and the tender wheels. The latter are black, according to Hachette, which ties in with the coloured line drawing in Issue 1. In the "Loco Profile" number 1 (published by Profile Publications), however, which deals with the LNER non-streamlined pacifics, there is a colour illustration (not photograph) of "Scottie" as prepared for the Wembley Exhibition of 1924 with its original GNR tender. This shows the loco and tender wheels as, correctly, unlined, but with green spokes/hob. The booklet contains a further illustration of 2501 Columbo (A3) running with the with the corridor tender with lined loco and tender wheel rims. The spokes/hubs of the tender wheels are, however, again shown in green.

Whilst I am not an LNER expert by any means (I'm a GWR and LNWR modeller by inclination), it does strike me that whilst it would be possible, it would also be somewhat improbable that such a prestigious locomotive as Scottie would be exhibited at Wembley with black tender wheels. The profile illustration of Columbo also suggests that the corridor tender carried green tender wheels in service.

A minor point but I would like to get it right if possible. Does anyone have any information about this?

Regards, Stan Owen

I have a few photographs of Flying Scotsman at the British Empire Exhibition, all in black and white. The tender wheels show up lighter so it's plain to see that they must have been green, though unlined as were the rest of the wheels except for the centres. Another photo of 4480 (Enterprise) dated 1927 shows that the outside of the wheels (green) were also lined in this case.

I have a few photographs of Flying Scotsman at the British Empire Exhibition, all in black and white. The tender wheels show up lighter so it's plain to see that they must have been green, though unlined as were the rest of the wheels except for the centres. Another photo of 4480 (Enterprise) dated 1927 shows that the outside of the wheels (green) were also lined in this case.

RedGauntlet

Many thanks for the information which is very welcome as I'd already painted my tender wheels green! It does, however, suggest that Hachette's instructions are wrong which, given past history, is not altogether unexpected.

At the risk of pushing my luck, I do have another question which is to do with which side of this loco "leads". I've received my 120-degree axles from Slaters (and yes, they are a much tighter fit that the Hachette items) and I suspect that the right hand drivers "lead" the left - could anyone confirm this?

Regards, Stan Owen

Thanks for the rundown on the paint job on the tender Stan

I have been trying to track down plate numbers and their origins but keep hitting a blank wall about who

took over what and duplicated plates for sale theres a chap in my neck of the woods who pid £200

for replica flying scotsman nameplates must get there and take a picture sometime

regards

Ted..

Ted

No worries and your posting inspired me last night to start painting! This afternoon, despite nearly 18 hours drying time, that buffer beam (Precision Paints Signal Red) was still "tacky" so I took advantage of the fine weather and put the underframe on a sunny window ledge which dried it off nicely. Tonight I've given the buffer beam another coat and I've also sprayed the corridor connection casting. On Wednesday night I plan to primer the entire tender body with my "U-Pol Acid #8, and give it a first coat of green. There is a serious danger that, unlike many models I've started in the past, this one just might get finished! In fact, I'm quite looking forward to applying the tender lining (using HMRS "Pressfix" lining for the most part).

I'll post some pictures when the tender paint job is more advanced.

Regards, Stan

Just to be clear, the photo must have been taken prior to the convertion work carried out on 4472 in April 1928, because by its inaugural run in May 1928 the 'boxed in pipe' feature had vanished.

Hi All

I thought you might like work out which one of us is who... rolleyes.gif

Apologies this photo seems to be earlier than 1928 as the valve gear was modified after 1927

I take that to be that square bit running down the side John..still an interesting photo

so it would be more streamlined in 1928 also notice the brass on the wheel covers for the exhibition

in 1924.....this mistake is he result of looking through hundreds of pages of steam loco's sorry folks.

Hello all,

may I suggest that it is the 'gang' that are responsible for building the stand for the Wembley exhibition in 1925. The photos of F.S. at Wembley show the boxed in pipe etc. the wheel rims are bulled up steel and she has the brass splashier rims. Not sure when they were removed. Also the wheels look to be in the same position as in the photo on page61 of Gresley Locomotives by Brian Haresnape. So it could be 1924 or 1925 I think that I would go for 1925.

OzzyO.

The deputy curator of the 'National Rail Museum' at York was good enough to return a photo of 4472's works plates....

Are the vintage Allen headed bolts the work of the LNER.......I am only kidding!!!!laugh.gif

At the risk of pushing my luck, I do have another question which is to do with which side of this loco "leads". I've received my 120-degree axles from Slaters (and yes, they are a much tighter fit that the Hachette items) and I suspect that the right hand drivers "lead" the left - could anyone confirm this?

I have always understood that right hand lead is standard for most British locos

Donald

Hi Stan

All devilbiss super 63e ares made in the far east unless you can pick one up second hand

I imagine they are italian must be good if they have never changed the design

regards

Ted..

Ted

As I said, my devilbiss is now nearly 30 years old - the airbrush test card supplied with the brush is dated July 2nd 1981. Apart from the odd new nozzle and needle, it has given sterling service but, given how much I paid for it all those years ago, so it should have! I believe that devilbiss was, at that time, a British company as some of their literature from that period lists a Bournemouth address. The name is still around but I suspect manufacturing is now in the far East - after all we don't make anything anymore.

Quite by chance, some years ago I found a brand-new Royal Sovereign Super 73E airbrush at a car-boot sale for around £20 so I snapped it up. The design is almost identical to the devibiss and it is better finished even than the 63e. I'm holding it in reserve should the devilbiss ever give up the ghost particularly as I found this 73E model still available from a German website recently for 300 euros!

If you are seeking impartial advice, then I can recommend http://www.everythingairbrush.com/ (usual disclaimer). The chap I spoke to there recently told me he used to work for devilbiss so we had a good natter. They are definitely at the mid to upper end of the market but I have found them most helpful and reliable and for purchases like this cheap can sometimes be dear. Nevertheless, there are apparent bargains to be had, particularly on ebay, although I have no knowledge of the likely quality of some of the items I saw on sale at what seemed remarkably low prices.

Hope this helps

Regards, Stan Owen

Archived