a1 partwork Flying Scotsman

Good evening all,

Having got to the stage where I have painted my loco chassis and wheels, fitted the pick ups and motor I thought I would post a piccy or 2. This is where it went wrong. I cannot remember how to get my pics from Flickr on to here. Ah well, if anyone is interested they can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sillyoldbegger/? . As an aside, I am very inexperienced at using an airbrush - in fact I used mine once on my turntable and made a complete boo boo. :( So I was more than pleased :) when I found out that there is an aerosol available.

For those of a similar cack handidness to me it is Doncaster Green made by Railmatch and I got mine from Squires at a cost of £5.99 plus postage. Please note, I have no connection with them I am just a releive and happy customer.

Happy modelling

Mike

Are you leaving the Wheel Linings off?----ROB

Are you leaving the Wheel Linings off?----ROB

Hi Rob,

Yes, I am going the route of polished wheel rims (as they were at the time this loco is supposed to represent). I just have to tighten the gearbox grub screw on to the axle, give it another test run and then I will give the rims a final polish before a coat of satin varnish. Having said that it would probably have been easier to put the transfers on than it was to scrape the paint off without marking the spokes or weights.

Regards Mike

Hi Gents and Ladies of course

As we are coming up to the very last in the saga of the Flying Scotsman Thought I would give you a little reminder

of what made you buy it in the first place.. :unsure: :blink: <_< :mellow: :angry: :(

post-2910-12740778201_thumb.jpg

Regards

Ted.....

Hey everyone, some great looking models coming along out there. Im getting along well but still having trouble finding paint. Is anyone on here in Australia? If so could someone please let me know where they got their paint from. I'm at a point where I cant really do much more untill I get painting. I will post some pics shortly.

Cheers

Pete

Hey everyone, some great looking models coming along out there. Im getting along well but still having trouble finding paint. Is anyone on here in Australia? If so could someone please let me know where they got their paint from. I'm at a point where I cant really do much more untill I get painting. I will post some pics shortly.

Cheers

Pete

Try the Australian Model Railway Association they might help You..

To Silly old beggar railmatch paints have increased to £6.50 per aerosol can..from Squires..but no postage over £10......

regards

Ted.

Try the Australian Model Railway Association they might help You..

To Silly old beggar railmatch paints have increased to £6.50 per aerosol can..from Squires..but no postage over £10......

regards

Ted.

Hi,

You could always go for a late war time look e.g A1 in black with just N.E. on the tender.... black should be a easy colour to find ;)

Jeffrey

New Zealand, up to part 53 here!

Hi Gents and Ladies of course

As we are coming up to the very last in the saga of the Flying Scotsman Thought I would give you a little reminder

of what made you buy it in the first place.. :unsure: :blink: <_< :mellow: :angry: :(

post-2910-12740778201_thumb.jpg

Regards

Ted.....

:lol: :lol:

As for the lugs on the corridor connection not aligning with the corresponding holes, maybe file the lugs so they fit the holes, or possibly enlarge the holes?

Hi All,

We are up to part 53 here in new Zealand and it has a note about the "Fix" for the axle centers not lining up with the openings in the footplate, it says to trim off 2mm from the front of the loco frames. Anyway to cut a long story short, I started to build my loco tonight starting with the loco main frames.

I cut 1.5mm from the front of the frame and also fitted up the bearings and then had a look at part 3 just to make sure I was right before I soldered the bearings in and you know what I noticed?

The loco frame in the very first picture on page one/part 3 has had the front of the frame cut back! so it would seem that the "problem" was known about from before day 1 of the part works.... But we only get the "offical" fix at week 53!

Jeffrey

This was also widely reported in the UK, and looks like nothing is changed as the lands around the world.

Here in the UK the final issue goes on sale tomorrow (125), a big sigh of relief I'm sure in having spent a minimum of £620 and 2.5 yrs to build the model, I wonder how many would go this route again should another partwork loco appear in future?

Hello all,

so the big day is nearly upon us. So apart from the name plates what parts are we still waiting for or have we had them over the last five or six issues (I get mine direct)? Did we get the correct buckeye coupling for the tender? or did we just get a screw link coupling. I dont think that I would down this road again, but you never know!!!!!!!!! Now a 'Duchess' would be nice or a???????????????

OzzyO.

Hello all,

so the big day is nearly upon us. So apart from the name plates what parts are we still waiting for or have we had them over the last five or six issues (I get mine direct)? Did we get the correct buckeye coupling for the tender? or did we just get a screw link coupling. I dont think that I would down this road again, but you never know!!!!!!!!! Now a 'Duchess' would be nice or a???????????????

OzzyO.

By my reckoning we should get nameplates, worksplates and screw couplings in the last issue. A cosmetic dropped head buckeye was provided in issue 123, but we still need working couplings for both ends of the loco.

My original reason for buying into this was to be able to get an A1/A3 without the up-front outlay of £500+ for a kit complete with wheels and motor. Despite the occasional niggles I think the series has been reasonably good value, and any problems that have been mentioned are no more than I would expect with any equivalent kit. It's not an Airfix model we're building here; any kit made of so many diverse materials will always require fettling to get the parts to fit. As I intend to modify parts to make 60094 Colorado in late BR period with double chimney and smoke deflectors, a little extra work is neither here nor there.

Now would I do it this way again???

Maybe, if it was something more workaday such as an LNER B1 or an LMS Black 5, but the number of express passenger locos I (and probably most other people) can justify is very limited. Unfortunately it's always the big locos that grab the attention.

Donald

• RMweb Gold

Now would I do it this way again???

Maybe, if it was something more workaday such as an LNER B1 or an LMS Black 5, but the number of express passenger locos I (and probably most other people) can justify is very limited. Unfortunately it's always the big locos that grab the attention.

The man from DJH I spoke to at Kettering wasn't averse to the idea of doing it all again.

My money would be on Mallard. You need something with world wide appeal considering all the countries they sell these partworks to.

Yes I'd probably buy it too.

[quote name='4472'

Here in the UK the final issue goes on sale tomorrow (125), a big sigh of relief I'm sure in having spent a minimum of £620 and 2.5 yrs to build the model, I wonder how many would go this route again should another partwork loco appear in future?

As far as building another one I could not afford the divorce....

I thnk I remember a vague remark about pulling hens teeth..

regards

Ted

P.s anyone know where I buy a length of 0 gauge track none locally

The man from DJH I spoke to at Kettering wasn't averse to the idea of doing it all again.

My money would be on Mallard. You need something with world wide appeal considering all the countries they sell these partworks to.

Yes I'd probably buy it too.

If they do, then Mallard seems the more than likely choice, if anything because most of what lies below the footplate will likely be identical to what has been supplied for the A1 FS :blink:

Though I think its odd how there seems not to be a single photo of the DJH completed Hachette FS loco on the net, one would have thought they might have been itching to post photos of the end result, it would also be interesting to see if parts on the model are identical to those supplied to customers rather than being DJH's own parts?

As thought, mag 125 contains brass name & builder plates and the screw link coupling set, the latter does not appear to be as good as DJH's own version, in terms of how it is made up and that the DJH set is also sprung, which has to be better for those who intend to run their model?

Here's the DJH version

http://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodloco.asp?ProdID=3403

Hello all,

well I thought to myself six issues to go and the last one out today. When I get my next packet from Hachette that they will send all six, wishful thinking on my part only four 120 - 123. Will have to start on it one day but it dose not need any food.

OzzyO.

Painting the nameplates is not that hard. All you need to do is paint them and as the lettering should be raised you can gently uncover the paint from the lettering by gently rubbing with a fine (& perfectly flat) piece of emery.

Well Hachette have dropped a clanger in this last issue :excl: Look closely at the etched worksplates and they quite clearly say 'No. 4471' on the second line. Flying Scotsman, as everyone should know by now, is LNER No. 4472; no 4471 'Sir Frederick Banbury' was the second loco in the class and it was built in 1922, not 1923 as on the plates.

What do you think Hachettes reaction would be if this was pointed out to them? Would we stand a chance of them sending a replacement set of plates to everyone who requested them as the option of including them in a future issue is no longer there?

Personally it doesn't bother me as I will need new plates anyway for my chosen loco (Ted - from Guilplates 32 Wodeland Avenue, Guildford, Surrey GU2 5JZ Tel 01483 565980) but I know there will be some folk it will annoy.

Donald

Well Hachette have dropped a clanger in this last issue excl.gif Look closely at the etched worksplates and they quite clearly say 'No. 4471' on the second line. Flying Scotsman, as everyone should know by now, is LNER No. 4472; no 4471 'Sir Frederick Banbury' was the second loco in the class and it was built in 1922, not 1923 as on the plates.

What do you think Hachettes reaction would be if this was pointed out to them? Would we stand a chance of them sending a replacement set of plates to everyone who requested them as the option of including them in a future issue is no longer there?

Personally it doesn't bother me as I will need new plates anyway for my chosen loco (Ted - from Guilplates 32 Wodeland Avenue, Guildford, Surrey GU2 5JZ Tel 01483 565980) but I know there will be some folk it will annoy.

Donald

Hi Donald,

now wasn't 4472 built in 1922 and numbered 1472 buy the G.N.R. or did it start life as a L.N.E.R. loco with its old G.N.R. number before being renumbered by the L.N.E.R. for the Wembley? exhibition.

1470 Great Northern certainly did run in the old company colours.

It still looks a fork up to me.

OzzyO.

now wasn't 4472 built in 1922 and numbered 1472 buy the G.N.R. or did it start life as a L.N.E.R. loco with its old G.N.R. number before being renumbered by the L.N.E.R. for the Wembley? exhibition.

1470 Great Northern certainly did run in the old company colours.

Hi Ozzy

According to the RCTS 'Green Book', the frames for FS were laid on 23/10/1922 and the loco left the Doncaster erecting shop on 7/2/1923, entering traffic on 24/2 bearing the number 1472, and was named a year later. All the first twelve engines originally carried GNR numbers, with the last 2 of the batch carrying an N suffix to the number. They were all renumbered to LNER numbers 4470-4481 between Feb 1924 and July 1925.

Donald

Hi Ozzy

According to the RCTS 'Green Book', the frames for FS were laid on 23/10/1922 and the loco left the Doncaster erecting shop on 7/2/1923, entering traffic on 24/2 bearing the number 1472, and was named a year later. All the first twelve engines originally carried GNR numbers, with the last 2 of the batch carrying an N suffix to the number. They were all renumbered to LNER numbers 4470-4481 between Feb 1924 and July 1925.

Donald

Hi Donald,

is it possible that the works number 4471 is correct for 1472 (4472) if you get my drift. Don't know how the G.N.R. did its works numbering. I know that the L.N.W.R. had a strange ideas about numbering locos that IIRC was based on the works number, eg a coal tank as No.1234 and the next coal tank 1278 due to them building 44 other locos before the second coal tank was going into traffic.

OzzyO.

Archived