To open the sealed box or not!

kintbury jon

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should I open the box or preserve its collectable status?

• Sod it and open the box, it's only a train and they are there to be run.
    • Don't do it, it will be worth millions in a few years time!

As someone who enjoys winding 'collectors' up by repainting Triang L1s black and other apparent crimes against rare and collectable items I say run it and enjoy it. Not only that while you're at it perhaps some subtle weathering might enhance it's appearance. All my locos get used on a regular basis, even if it's only a few circuits of the shed layout, so take it out of it's packaging without feeling guilty.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

On a more serious note, having seen some friends in the modelling hobby meet an early death, I've become a sod it and open it sort of man.

My gold plated Mallard and other such delights have sapphire decoders fitted, and now merrily get used.

I can't play with it when I'm gone.

• RMweb Premium

If it is a financial investment, keep it as is. If not run it and enjoy it....lifes too short, you could also put a modeltorque motor in the Lima caseing and have a real good runner.

Firstly, many thanks for all your replies.

I've decided to sell the DMU on. Having had a request from a fellow RMWeb member who has been looking for the DMU for some time, I am selling it onto him at a price that he offered me. I will be donating the profit that I am making on this to the forum, so hopefully everyones a winner.

Hopefully the new owner will submit a photo of the opened package!

Cheers.

On a more serious note, having seen some friends in the modelling hobby meet an early death, I've become a sod it and open it sort of man.

My gold plated Mallard and other such delights have sapphire decoders fitted, and now merrily get used.

I can't play with it when I'm gone.

I am pleased to hear that this DMU has been re-homed. :D

I am of the mind that says I'll buy what I want, at a price that I'm happy with, and if I wish to mess around with a "collectable" maodel and some-one else doesn't like it, they can make me an offer! :)

P.S. I can very expensive sometimes!! :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Premium

I have always been wary of keeping older obsolete models on the basis that they will increase in value in the future. In the vast majority of cases a better version is eventually released and (usually) Lima models that some have paid hundreds for are rendered near worthless junk overnight.

(Whatever happened to the Lima Collectors Society? :jester: )

The chances are very good that a all new 117 DMU will appear eventually all be it a fair few years away yet and then a retailer or mag will commission the GWR150 livery for it. Hornby will never do a Limby version as the tooling was irevocably modified to make the Class 121 Bubble Car.

Archived