To open the sealed box or not!

kintbury jon

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should I open the box or preserve its collectable status?

• Sod it and open the box, it's only a train and they are there to be run.
    • Don't do it, it will be worth millions in a few years time!

One of my biggest problems is not resisting a bargain. That's when scouring through ebay can do my bank balance great harm.

This time I was searching through on Sunday and came across a Lima 117 titled 'LIMA'. It was this one:

post-1105-0-21140000-1320872172_thumb.jpg

I'd seen it go for three figures in the past and it was going for £30 at the time. I sometimes bid on things I don't particularly need but look at the price and think, "Well if it's going to go at that price i'll have it." Trouble was I won it for £38 + post, and a predicament has arisen now it has arrived.

The boxes are sealed in plastic, it has never been opened so really is in mint condition. So do I store it away (there were only 300 produced) or do I maintain its preserved status?

I think i'll open it as I think trains should be run, but would be interested to know whether anyone has anything that they have kept sealed.

Guest jim s-w

It's designed to be used. You will never make a fortune out of it and the 3 figure ones you have seen must have sold to complete idiots TBH! You'd get more sticking £30 in a bank account I reckon

Cheers

Jim

I was watching that one on ebay and nearly bid on it but decided not to for fear of her in doors getting the hump.

I wouldnt have gone much above £40 though as i am a bit tight.

As for run/ not run, I would say not run.

I'm a fan of the James May 'throw the box away and play with it' philosophy. However, in this case, you seem to have got a real bargain, for something you don't seem to be that enthusiastic about, that could earn you a fair amount of money in the future, so I would say don't run it for now at least. See how much these sets are going for in the future and then re-assess.

Cheers for the replies, I think i'll open it and run it. Might try and fit a Limby 121 chassis to it so it runs a little smoother. The only down side to it is the incorrect DMBS bodyshell at both ends (though i'm not going to hack the bodysides!)

Interesting to see the results so far (5 yes, 5 no) I was expecting everyone to say open it!

On a little side note, I often see ads describing NIB, and never used.

And when it is a loco I'm not interested at all!

If it has never been used, or even tested, it could be a dud straight out of the box!

I would never risk buying something for my running railway, that might only be suitable for the box-collectors!

And regarding the Lima cars, do as stated above, they're built to be used, so use 'em!

If you like BR(WR) and you would like to run a three coach rake exactly like this - open it.

Chances are that you weren't looking specifically for this item.

In that case, if you don't care so much for BR(WR), there's a good chance somebody out there really wants to find a good home for these (for some obscure reason that escapes me). It would make someone's day if you can connect with him/her and sell these coaches for what they are worth to a buyer who really wants them.

Perhaps you'll find a buyer on RMweb classifieds?

I don't think you'll ever make a *lot* of money on this item. (Though you never know - we do have a thread dedicated to eBay silliness.)

If you like BR(WR) and you would like to run a three coach rake exactly like this - open it.

It seems odd referring to it as BR (WR) by the 80s, I always think of the regions as a 60s thing, mainly because of the more distinctive differences in steam and diesels at the time I guess.

• RMweb Gold

It seems odd referring to it as BR (WR) by the 80s, I always think of the regions as a 60s thing, mainly because of the more distinctive differences in steam and diesels at the time I guess.

It was BR (WR) until the spring of 1992 - I know that cos my job title up to that year included the word 'Regional' :sungum: (mind you the business sectors were increasingly flexing their muscles and were running in parallel with the Regions)

• RMweb Premium

If it fits with what you model then open the box and enjoy it.

If it doesn't fit, then stick it back on eBay, keep your fingers crossed and buy something more usable with any profit.

It's got rotating wheels and a motor - it was ment to be used.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

I'm very glad I opened and played with all my rare models, at least you know they work and don't have huge scratches down the back.

Do some collectors sit them there and just gaze longingly at the box? surely if you like boxes that much staples would be heaven! (just fill it with scraps of steel and write on the outside 'Aster A4 Mallard' and think of how exclusive your model is).

Once met a chap who had a Blower Bentley still in it's factory crate that collectors fawned over, he used it as patterns to make replica parts and just hammered a nail back in to seal it up! Who'd know :jester:

Archived