The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

There's been one King parrot turning up each day for a cashew for a while, today there were three. I'm not sure how they pass on the information about where and when the food will be.

If you make no sudden moves and hold a nut out in plain sight, they'll let you get within a couple of feet.

That is until my inside parrot watching through the window lets out an angry  screech because it is his nut supply I'm giving away.

PXL_20200929_194354058.jpg.d341202973b45a8c2c26e350da7180f1.jpg

PXL_20200929_194344659.jpg.7afbddb9de04ea8cdfdd310805e5e01f.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Where have they gone? In to my house in one case. I don't know how it got there (the cat might've brought it in and then it got away, but she doesn't usually go for birds). It took some persuading to go out too, kept perching on the window but not going out, but I suppose they don't normally fly in the dark which might've been putting it off.

IMGP2839.JPG.95a1216f714151377c32435828a38e1d.JPG

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On 24/10/2020 at 14:40, Reorte said:

Where have they gone? In to my house in one case. I don't know how it got there (the cat might've brought it in and then it got away, but she doesn't usually go for birds). It took some persuading to go out too, kept perching on the window but not going out, but I suppose they don't normally fly in the dark which might've been putting it off.

IMGP2839.JPG.95a1216f714151377c32435828a38e1d.JPG

Obviously likes a good read. Lovely bird: there were only two in our valley about 30 years ago, now I see them everyday in the garden.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 88D said:

Have spotted my first Grey Wagtail in the garden. Other notable occurrences: 5 Goldfinches  on seed heads, Red Kite above, Peregrine being mobbed by crow, Treecreeper. Plus loads of others.

we get a grey wagtail i the garden at this time every year stays for a few weeks then go's 

we have been invaded by goldfinches so many it is hard to count but around 30 had to put out extra feeders to stop them fighting 

John 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, jbqfc said:

we get a grey wagtail i the garden at this time every year stays for a few weeks then go's 

we have been invaded by goldfinches so many it is hard to count but around 30 had to put out extra feeders to stop them fighting 

John 

Just above where I live is a tree in the chapel grounds. At one time of year for about three days, this tree is occupied nightly to the gunnels by goldfinches, who then distribute themselves over the moors for winter. Amazing sight and sound. Although they have been feeding on the seed heads in the garden, they haven’t touched the Niger seed I’ve put for them. These goldfinches don’t know what’s good for them!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jonny777 said:

The goldfinches around here prefer sunflower hearts to niger seed. I understand they are not supposed to, but they seem independent minded. 

Maybe you could try the hearts? 

I wonder if Niger seed could be used as some sort of ballast on the layout: I have plenty!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jonny777 said:

The goldfinches around here prefer sunflower hearts to niger seed. I understand they are not supposed to, but they seem independent minded. 

Maybe you could try the hearts? 

Our goldfinches seem to been about 75% for sunflowers seed but i have to buy good niger seed to get them to eat it as the cheap ones seem to have lots filler mostly brassicas going buy what's growing under the feeders 

John 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, jbqfc said:

Our goldfinches seem to been about 75% for sunflowers seed but i have to buy good niger seed to get them to eat it as the cheap ones seem to have lots filler mostly brassicas going buy what's growing under the feeders 

John 

Hopefully they no longer put wacky baccy seed in the mix.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Not really a "garden bird" (well, maybe in south Florida :)), but it kind of goes along with the one above. Anyway, I caught this guy at a park in Lake Worth, FL a few years ago:

100_2864.jpg.0283111f2deb081b26f1d3f4ea8a5b05.jpg

Edited by J. S. Bach
To change the photo to a better one.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Hopefully they no longer put wacky baccy seed in the mix.

Back in the 70’s at Art College out the back of the studio area there were several window boxes with handfuls of bird seed thrown in......just in case :lol:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Not really a "garden bird" (well, maybe in south Florida :)), but it kind of goes along with the one above. Anyway, I caught this guy at a park in Lake Worth, FL a few years ago:

100_2864.jpg.0283111f2deb081b26f1d3f4ea8a5b05.jpg

My grey and damp Worcestershire sky can't compete with a blue, sunny Florida sky.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Lots of birds about here in sunny rural SW France with woodpeckers, robins etc. but oddly we have yet to see the cranes fly south for the winter. Maybe this is another sign of the warm weather in Europe and hence the lack of birds feeding in UK gardens.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some familiar plants in those photos, I had the dark pink Bougainvillea and the red-orange tree in my yard when I lived in south Florida:

100_2471.jpg.c6034b30ed0093755f076090cc769fa1.jpg

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2

We have been short of small birds for the last few weeks here in South West London, which seems in inverse proportion to the scores and scores (many a murder?) of crows that seem to have started to prefer our gardens to the common but 100 yards away.  The crows are beginning to become areal and unattractive menace, but there doesn't seem to much we can do about it.  Mind you, our occasionally visiting Sparrowhawk this morning did scatter those Goldfinches around pretty rapidly!

Anthony

• Like 1

On 21/11/2020 at 12:48, eastglosmog said:

As we seem to be going exotic, here are some garden bird from Ghana (seen at the Esthers Hotel, Accra):

IMG_6004.jpg.c6ccbf04ed323fdb57a733bcc9ea8863.jpg

IMG_6005.jpg.37065217db99c942cb0c3930a2086d59.jpg

Peacock is the most exotic bird I’ve seen in my garden in Yorkshire, escaped from another garden lower down the hill.

• Like 1