The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

Blackcap juveniles in the fruit cage yesterday and this morning, requiring release. All very calm, never been so close to blackcaps before, normally a very fugitive species but perhaps the juveniles have yet to learn this behaviour? The parents sat in the oak tree, calling but out of sight. Raised at least four, two male, two female, judged by this morning's accidental 'catch'.

• Like 2

This morning we had young great tits and coal tits on the feeders, joining the blue tits that arrived yesterday. They join the list of blackbirds, chaffinches, greenfinches, rooks, collared doves, sparrows and wrens who's young have all been regular residents or visitors in the garden this year.

While writing this a young great tit flew at the window. It seems to be OK and is sitting quietly.

News update, it's just flown away.

Edited by Killybegs
addition
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

First time ever seen one, we had a Woodpecker on the bird feeder yesterday morning......pretty bird, I have heard it occasionally but a first for me.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

First time ever seen one, we had a Woodpecker on the bird feeder yesterday morning......pretty bird, I have heard it occasionally but a first for me.

Greater spotted?

• Like 1

I put out some what are described as superior fat balls, hoping to entice Long-Tailed Tits, who occasionally pass through the garden here in London SW16, but our local Greater Spotted Woodpeckers have found them and are getting through 3 balls a day, which I suppose makes a change from them emptying the seed feeders, but , inevitably, I haven't seen a single LTT since I put them out 2 weeks ago!

At least I am pretty sure I saw a Coal Tit yesterday, so not all is bad!

Anthony 

Edited by Anthony
Spelling
  • Like 2

Chris and Jenny (they’re our wrens who take their names from Prof Chris Whitty and Dr Jenny Harries) were very busy on Friday morning as the young prepared to fledge, and then late morning the fledging occurred. It’s not the best of photos but here’s one of the fledglings. 

1C7800BC-F342-4712-A1E2-885CAFAC44CB.jpeg

• Like 4

Surprise spotting whilst on walk between Bolton Abbey and Appletreewick: pair of pied flycatchers. Not exactly a garden bird, but had to mention it as I haven’t seen one in yoinks. Missed a Hobby that was doing the rounds on the moors above, though.

• Like 2

The magpie parents are now chasing the fledglings away when they beg for food. I wonder if they have another brood on the way. 

I also heard a dunnock singing yesterday early evening, not heard that so distinctly before but I found and played a snatch of song on my phone to make sure I had identified it correctly. 

I have also noticed some of the house sparrows clinging quite acrobatically to the pebbledash on the back of next door; presumably they are finding small insects there. 

And the parakeets have been inand out of our copper maple the last few days, which is relatively unusual at this time of year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A few days ago I was cleaning my patio and there was a small pile of dead moss, leaves and grass waiting to go into the compost when a family of starlings descended on the heap and started pecking away. Two adult birds and four youngsters.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Those are Lesser Spotted Woodies, rarer than the Greater ones.

Juvenile GSWs - the red patch disappears in females and move s to the back of the head in males. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I was looking at the face markings, but bow to your id

Woodpeckers are a bit of an interest of mine, but well worth checking. I did see a LSW one once, but not in the UK.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Woodpeckers are a bit of an interest of mine, but well worth checking. I did see a LSW one once, but not in the UK.

Never seen an LSW, though they are seen infrequently in a different valley a couple of miles from my house. My neighbour says he has seen one in the garden, but I have my dubious hat on with that! Pity, I would like to believe it!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

we only get sparrows in the garden during the breeding season this year we have loads 

don't take any notice of the time and date on the video i forgot to reset them after taking the batteries  out 

Edited by jbqfc
  • Like 2

Dunnocks are are our only regulars that don't appear to have produced any offspring this year. Our list of fledglings to date now numbers 13. Sparrows, wrens, blackbirds, chaffinches, rooks, collared doves, blue tits, coal tits, great tits, greenfinches, thrushes, robins and goldfinches. it's a bit like living in an aviary here at the moment. Still having a constant battle with four local cats.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

today has been the day for the sparrow second brood flying the nest must have had about 30 in the garden at one point been fed by the parents 

John 

• Like 2