Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

well I seem to have been invaded by Goldfinches so many that i have had to put out extra feeders 

also a nice surprise today a  juvenile willow warbler sat nicely on the feeder to give me a good view  but not long enough for me to get my camera out 

John 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyone here know who this little chap is?

IMG_4766.JPG.e6f711ff6291beb09cdee4cdec79110a.JPG

Small bird; big attitude! I was carrying a stock box when the little $%£*@# dive bombed me - coming within inches of my head. Made me flinch and nearly drop my cargo. This was followed by a torrent of abuse from the roof-top perch (and a few choice words in response). I wouldn't mind knowing who my assailant was...

TIA

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Not sure but it might be a juvenile goldfinch.

Thanks. Googling Juvenile Goldfinch has confirmed this. I would not have guessed a juvenile as I was pretty certain he was defending a nest, there was one just below where he was perched, so he must be an early starter! Either that or he really disapproves of Japanese H0...

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Had an opportunity to attempt to count the local Sparrow family a few days back. Circa 50 with second brood Fledglings. That's up on last year. Sadly, apart from the new group of Stock Dove, there is little around at the moment. Natural feeding grounds must be in good supply.

P

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Anyone here know who this little chap is?

IMG_4766.JPG.e6f711ff6291beb09cdee4cdec79110a.JPG

Small bird; big attitude! I was carrying a stock box when the little $%£*@# dive bombed me - coming within inches of my head. Made me flinch and nearly drop my cargo. This was followed by a torrent of abuse from the roof-top perch (and a few choice words in response). I wouldn't mind knowing who my assailant was...

TIA

Typical teenage attitude, whatever the species.:D

steve

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

22 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Had an opportunity to attempt to count the local Sparrow family a few days back. Circa 50 with second brood Fledglings. That's up on last year. Sadly, apart from the new group of Stock Dove, there is little around at the moment. Natural feeding grounds must be in good supply.

P

Two things affect the numbers of birds in urban gardens at this time of year. One is, as you correctly suggest, there is a lot of natural food available so they use that. They go on their holidays. The other is that many species go into moult after the months of bringing up their families. As they are very vulnerable when moulting, being only able to fly poorly, they hide away. 

Having said that we have masses of sparrows, a few Goldfinch (still not up to the numbers before the couple of hard winters a few years ago) some starlings and a good number of tits - this year the blues seem to have done very well, and all of the numerous Wood Pigeons. There have been lots of juveniles this year in their very scruffy down giving way to their first proper feathers. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Two things affect the numbers of birds in urban gardens at this time of year. One is, as you correctly suggest, there is a lot of natural food available so they use that. They go on their holidays. The other is that many species go into moult after the months of bringing up their families. As they are very vulnerable when moulting, being only able to fly poorly, they hide away. 

Having said that we have masses of sparrows, a few Goldfinch (still not up to the numbers before the couple of hard winters a few years ago) some starlings and a good number of tits - this year the blues seem to have done very well, and all of the numerous Wood Pigeons. There have been lots of juveniles this year in their very scruffy down giving way to their first proper feathers. 

Paul

Yes, Blue Tits have done well this year, as have Coal Tits. Goldfinches seem to be all over the place (great), more than previously. But I’m from the other side if Yorkshire!

• Like 4

Just had a phone call from our son who lives in Southern Ireland, county cork……he has just seen and heard 4 peregrine falcons flying over his house…..he had previously seen two  together but looks like it was mum,dad and two young uns today flying around………18 months ago he had not seen any raptors in his area at all, the peregrines now add together with a couple of buzzards he has seen about three months ago……very nice  indeed…..I did say it would be nice to see a white tailed eagle at some stage, now that would be nice………..dave brighty….

• Like 7

We have very few garden birds. The occasional Robin, a couple of Blackbirds and a fleeting appearance of a Blue Tit occasionally.

I don't recall seeing a sparrow round here for years.

What we do have is the occasional pigeon, numerous Magpies, a pair of Buzzards, in the nearby woods and hundreds of Gulls. You can't hear yourself think round here, there are so many.

The smaller birds don't get a look in. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

This was a few feet outside the conservatory yesterday. Luckily my wife's camera was dead handy (I just happened to look up at ther right time) although I dared not get into too high a position to shoot through the windows in case of scaring him off.

1548253426_20210819P1190598Buzzard(1).JPG.826325f4e7bd30c737f6255a1771efd3.JPG

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

We've had a couple of goldfinches and a great tit in the garden this week after an absence of several weeks. In fact after quite a bit of activity in spring the whole summer has been very quiet here for garden birds in general.  Apart from the ubiquitous wood pigeons with their pathetic cry "yer stupid bu99er, yer stupid bu99er".

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Sitting out in a lovely sunny evening here and there is a very loud screeching from the copse next to the garden, I thought at first it might be some owlets screeching for food or Mum…but hey Ho…..up in out trees there was Cyril the Squirrel, he is screeching away like crazy…..I assume he is shouting at an invading bird or some other threat……although I haven’t fed him yet today! :D

I had no idea squirrels could screech so loudly, or even at all.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/09/2021 at 10:36, jbqfc said:

the goldfinches are breading late this year got mum feeding a fledgling today 

John  

Brilliant stuff, we're on our 4th batch of Goldie young this year, they're just starting to get their colours coming through on their heads, so I guess a couple of weeks old?

• Like 6

I have just filled my feeders for the first time since May, I don't feed in the summer months, some foods can be harmful to the chicks in nests, not had a proper look yet, but sparrows and starlings seem to be in abundance along with blue tits, great tits, coal tits and green finches.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday they came round to hack down prune the council shrubbery alongside my house. I did manage to stop them cutting back too much on the shrubs bearing berries to leave them for overwintering birds. The shrubbery is pruned twice a year and I mentioned when they did the spring prune they destroyed several nests. It was a different contractor last spring and apparently the instructions are not to disturb nests. So next spring I will keep an eye on things. 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The shrubbery is pruned twice a year and I mentioned when they did the spring prune they destroyed several nests. It was a different contractor last spring and apparently the instructions are not to disturb nests.

How thoroughly decent of them to obey the law.

Edit: good for you for raising the matter with them.  Too much destruction goes unchallenged.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

In the garden last monday and heard a Buzzard sounding rather unhappy, looked up as it was getting closer to sea a young White Tailed Eagle flying over at about 50' being chased by the Buzzard, it was twice its size and wasnt taking a lot of notice.

First one of these ive seen, though they have been releasing them locally (Isle of Wight)  as part of a scheme to re-introduce them.

The Buzzard is also a young one and seems to have established its patch here over the last few months.

Pete

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1