The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its that time of year again.

RSPB Birdwatch 2023

Im in! Hope my feathered chums all turn up to be counted.

Tally so far this year in our 30ft square garden …

Greenfinch

Goldfinch

Chaffinch

Blue tit

Great tit

Long tailed tit

Coal tit

House sparrow

Dunnock

Robin

Blackbird

Redwing

Starling

Magpie

Crow

Jackdaw

Blackcap

Greater spotted Woodpecker

Woodpigeon

Collared Dove

Rather pleased with that lot …. And can add Heron, Buzzard, Red Kite, sparrowhawk, kestrel and various gulls passing overhead.

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sat eating a sausage bap with SWMBO this morning…. Watching the birds, great relaxation! Hang on is that the wren in the water feature? Not sure…. Grab the Binos…. Is that a golden stripe on its head? Little blighter didn’t keep still for long….. it is!!!! A goldcrest! 

Wonderful …. Another one to add to the list . Speaking of which did anyone else do the RSPB bird watch??? 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Sat eating a sausage bap with SWMBO this morning…. Watching the birds, great relaxation! Hang on is that the wren in the water feature? Not sure…. Grab the Binos…. Is that a golden stripe on its head? Little blighter didn’t keep still for long….. it is!!!! A goldcrest! 

Wonderful …. Another one to add to the list . Speaking of which did anyone else do the RSPB bird watch??? 

I don't have a garden but send in records all year round.  It makes quite ordinary sightings more interesting when you feel they are of some significance, which increases the pleasure of the local patches considerably for me.

Goldcrests are a lot more widespread than people think and certainly aren't confined to conifers.  For several years my first record of Goldcrest would come from a patch of bushes beside the Ridgeway path on the Marlborough Downs.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

I don't have a garden but send in records all year round.  It makes quite ordinary sightings more interesting when you feel they are of some significance, which increases the pleasure of the local patches considerably for me.

Goldcrests are a lot more widespread than people think and certainly aren't confined to conifers.  For several years my first record of Goldcrest would come from a patch of bushes beside the Ridgeway path on the Marlborough Downs.

Yes that’s easy to believe … they are so secretive, often only recognise them by their calls. We don’t have significant conifers in our garden but others nearby certainly do…

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

On 04/02/2023 at 13:04, Phil Bullock said:

Yes that’s easy to believe … they are so secretive, often only recognise them by their calls. We don’t have significant conifers in our garden but others nearby certainly do…

We have a conifer tree on the right hand side of our garden, and then our neighbours to the back of our garden have a fir tree which overhangs into our garden, and is used by many birds on their way to our feeders. Our goldcrest can sometimes be seen around the two large trees, and there is another goldcrest in the area which I saw the other week along a path. 

Edited by Liam
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Anybody identify what raptor this rear view is of?

Unfortunately the blighter didn't turn around, although it sat there for about 5 minutes.

It's at least 2x the size of a Sparrowhawk and I've not seen it in the garden before.

1858221412_hawk1.jpg.07a7edaf79227e689cc9c542d735e91c.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Anybody identify what raptor this rear view is of?

Unfortunately the blighter didn't turn around, although it sat there for about 5 minutes.

It's at least 2x the size of a Sparrowhawk and I've not seen it in the garden before.

1858221412_hawk1.jpg.07a7edaf79227e689cc9c542d735e91c.jpg

I don't think there's anything to suggest it isn't a female sparrowhawk, which can be considerably larger than males.  It has juvenile wing coverts (brown with pale edges) contrasting with more adult feathers on the back which I think makes it a bird of last year.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

I don't think there's anything to suggest it isn't a female sparrowhawk, which can be considerably larger than males.  It has juvenile wing coverts (brown with pale edges) contrasting with more adult feathers on the back which I think makes it a bird of last year.

Thanks.

I couldn't quite match it to any particular bird.

The Sparrowhawks around here always seem smaller, we had one on the ground and it wasn't much bigger than a starling, so the size of this one was a surprise.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The female sparrowhawk is brown compared to the smaller male's gey. The Kestrels and Buzzards were clear enough but I thought we also had a Merlin reglarly and one I couldn't recognise but my Bird ringing neighbour identified as a Hobby this in Someset.

Don

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Rearranged our feeding station so that the pigeons cannot reach the food in the feeders yesterday evening.

This morning we have had a procession of them trying every-which way to access breakfast, and then looking in the window as if to say “excuse me kind sir, but I appear not to be able to reach…”

Will be interesting to see if they disappear in the coming weeks or keep trying.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Rearranged our feeding station so that the pigeons cannot reach the food in the feeders yesterday evening.

This morning we have had a procession of them trying every-which way to access breakfast, and then looking in the window as if to say “excuse me kind sir, but I appear not to be able to reach…”

Will be interesting to see if they disappear in the coming weeks or keep trying.

they will keep trying it is a constant battle they will find a way 

John 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I like them, I certainly wish that I could fly like they do.

I'm sure that it's the black and white bars on a woodpidgeons wings that inspired the D-Day landing aircraft markings, ie instantly recognisable.

Hmmm, is it wrong to want to come back as a pidgeon next time around, I wonder ?? (LoL)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

@Lambton58 refers to Woodpigeons as ""justa"s, as in just a woodpigeon.  Their ubiquity and ability to suggest all kinds of scarcer species at first glance is an endless source of birding fun.

Mrs Lambton58 and I maintain that 'justa' is an old Bedfordshire name for woodpigeons.   And yes, their ability to suggest other species is darned irritating.  On the otherhand, I'm told they make good pies...

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Lambton58 said:

Mrs Lambton58 and I maintain that 'justa' is an old Bedfordshire name for woodpigeons.   And yes, their ability to suggest other species is darned irritating.  On the otherhand, I'm told they make good pies...

They make terrible pies - they can't hold a rolling pin for a start.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

On 03/03/2023 at 11:10, jbqfc said:

they will keep trying it is a constant battle they will find a way 

John 

I find they spend their time on the ground under the feeders making a fairly poor effort at tidying up all the bits that the small birds spit out, but a cracking job of trampling on my plants......

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Anthony said:

I find they spend their time on the ground under the feeders making a fairly poor effort at tidying up all the bits that the small birds spit out, but a cracking job of trampling on my plants......

yes they do a good job of trampling my plants to and knocking plants to the bottom of the pond when bathing

but i have a couple that are obsessed with getting on the suet feeder as i have a tray underneath to stop the bits falling on to the path as they make it very slippy he used the tray to stand on so i then put a cage round guess what he hangs on the cage and can still just reach the feed will have to refit the cage a bit further out it is good fun though sitting watching them trying to work out to get to the feed 

John 

• Like 2

The pigeons round here have hair like Vyvyan from The Young Ones and often have a mental look in their eyes,  like this one, just look at him. 

Also, probably venomous.

PXL_20230306_200825105.jpg.36e74a2f15f749bc20f3e7ae1a2a6e7d.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Seen and heard the first Chiff Chaff of the year this morning, tried to video it but the bird wouldn’t play ball! Several blackcaps singing away in the extensive back gardens of my neighbourhood - spring is truly on its way.

Neil 

• Like 8