'O' gauge ? first tentative steps. Corrugated goods shed part 3: Painting and weathering

David Siddall

• RMweb Gold

David I used to get plumbing supplies in Monmouth from over the bridge on the left turn just before the sharp bend  at the foot of the hill. Not the funny DIY garden centre but further down ( they may be gone now) otherwise probaby Jewson or TP in the forest. I like the barrow crossing. Hope you have fun in the new caravan.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Hi David....

I know you said you'd like more room for your layout but isn't this going a bit far??.....and it's mobile too... :)

Pete

Just had a great idea David. You could gut the interior to make more room for the layout (keep the sink, toilet and kettle though) and then take the wheels off to stop it moving around disturbing the stock...sorted!

I know you said you'd like more room for your layout but isn't this going a bit far??.....and it's mobile too... :)

Well and additional 18' 6' wouldn't go amiss but unfortunately at 7' 1" wide I think the radii might be a bit fierce for 7-mil. Actually Pete the idea of going a bit far rather appeals... as far away from work as it's possible to get ;-)

Oh no David....I'll have to pop round with the anti-caravan kit (petrol and matches) :jester:

I'm used to caravans inspiring a certain 'marmite' reaction Chris but might that not be just a little Clarksonian? I anticipate spending at least a week or so this summer pottering around the Bodmin & Wenford and walking the the remains of the line to Padstow... will you be wanting any photos ;-)

D

David I used to get plumbing supplies in Monmouth from over the bridge on the left turn just before the sharp bend  at the foot of the hill. Not the funny DIY ###### garden centre but further down ( they may be gone now) otherwise probaby Jewson or TP in the forest. I like the barrow crossing. Hope you have fun in the new caravan.

Sadly long gone Don but I certainly remember them :-)

Just had a great idea David. You could gut the interior to make more room for the layout (keep the sink, toilet and kettle though) and then take the wheels off to stop it moving around disturbing the stock...sorted!

Hmmm... not sure how one's better half would respond to that suggestion (the idea that I might take some modelling with me on our travels was greeted with 'one of those looks' ;-)

David I would not shout to loadly about taking models etc in the caravan with you, you may find it your permanent residence if SWMBO finds out.

Now there's a thought ;-)

D

Have actually (surprisingly) managed to do a tiny bit of modelling around all my other distractions...

post-2991-0-13218700-1365534121.jpg

1mm straight brass wire from Eileen's Emporium – not trimmed to length or secured as yet – solved the Skytrex bridge handrail conundrum (...and I've got a first coat of Dark Oak stain on half the barrow crossing :-)

post-2991-0-92110600-1365534129.jpg

Even plonked on the mock-up piers I think the bridge is going to look just right.

TTFN...

David

• RMweb Gold

I'm used to caravans inspiring a certain 'marmite' reaction Chris but might that not be just a little Clarksonian? I anticipate spending at least a week or so this summer pottering around the Bodmin & Wenford and walking the the remains of the line to Padstow... will you be wanting any photos ;-)

D

We did that ourselves last Autumn and were camped at Dunmere when the Railmotor was running, before moving on to near Padstow good walking. Have some nice photos of Litle Petherick

Don

Ponderous progress... but progress none the less. The brickwork is SE Finecast.

post-2991-0-75389500-1365959095.jpg

Lack of anything hugely significant modelling-wise this week is basically a consequence of deciding to quit smoking after a mere 40-odd years! This should ensure I'll continue to be able to divert some dosh into modelling despite the new caravan acquisition. Today's bridge developments suggest that things are improving albeit during the seriously wobbly stage mid' week I decided that discretion was the better part of valour when it came to sharpened modelling implements – the idea being to lose a bad habit not a finger!

TTFN

David

Nice looking bridge David.

I did wonder in the position you were going to fit it if you would use the far side railing detail to double up on the near side particularly if you are going to have a view block flat up against the bridge.  I just think it will look a bit too obvious that the world ends at the bridge, maybe a 3-4 inch gap beyond the bridge would allow shadows to fall naturally while still giving a view block. . You would still need something to mask the front spectator eye line view maybe a small building or some trees etc.

What do you think, what are you going to have on that view block end plate up against the bridge.   A mainly steel-grey sky with some low level distant horizon buildings barely above the bridge road level might do it.

Regards

That's a very fair shout Barnaby and were the camera (whilst not actually lying) giving a slightly more truthful impression in the previous photo I'd absolutely agree :-)

The bridge is (hopefully?) just far enough from the view blocker to give whatever treatment ends up on the blocker itself some credibility... basically I've doubled the distance I used on a similar feature on a 4-mil layout which didn't look too incongruous. The bridge isn't square to the blocker either but at a slight angle which hopefully should help the illusion – albeit that's all it can ever can be when space is at a premium.

post-2991-0-76273700-1366044282.jpg

Current plan from the viewing side is left to right: station building (see my earlier mock-up pics), then a semi-circular roofed corrugated shed to the right of the toilet entrance screen, then possibly a small platform-mounted signal box and a flight of steps down from the road set into the embankment – more work/mock-ups to do on this though.

Hadn't got as far as thinking about back-scenes until your suggestion... I like your idea which had me looking again at this shot taken back in the Autumn (its the view from our back door). Pretty steely sky wouldn't you say and I could easily get it digi-printed to size :-)

post-2991-0-11513000-1366045165.jpg

David

• 4 weeks later...
And... back in the room :-)

Hitching-up the caravan and running away for the weekend at every available opportunity (and the need to thrash the garden into submission from time to time) does rather interfere with modelling once winter is (so called) over. Progress has therefore not been that spectacular of late though the odd hour or so of an evening during the last couple of weeks has resulted in my occupation bridge starting to look a little more convincing. This is version three-ish of the embankment sub-structure with which I'm now reasonably happy...

post-2991-0-02703100-1368512821.jpg

If I'd chosen to go ready-to-run/ready-to-plonk I'd probably have finished two layouts by now ;-)

David

• RMweb Gold

And... back in the room :-)

Hitching-up the caravan and running away for the weekend at every available opportunity (and the need to thrash the garden into submission from time to time) does rather interfere with modelling once winter is (so called) over. Progress has therefore not been that spectacular of late though the odd hour or so of an evening during the last couple of weeks has resulted in my occupation bridge starting to look a little more convincing. This is version three-ish of the embankment sub-structure with which I'm now reasonably happy...

If I'd chosen to go ready-to-run/ready-to-plonk I'd probably have finished two layouts by now ;-)

David

But would you have had as much fun?

Don

• RMweb Premium

That's looking better David.

Out of interest though... any particular reason why you've gone for two different types of wing wall for the bridge? Normally (of course there are always exceptions to the rule) all four corners would have the same arrangement. (Minor comment)

That's looking better David.

Out of interest though... any particular reason why you've gone for two different types of wing wall for the bridge? Normally (of course there are always exceptions to the rule) all four corners would have the same arrangement. (Minor comment)

Inspiration for the side of the bridge nearest the camera is from a photo of Poyle Halt which appears on the contents page of Chris Leigh's GWR Country Stations. I rather like the embankment without wing walls and I think (hope?) it's suitable for what is, after all, an occupation crossing not a road over-bridge carrying any great weight?

My justification (?) for the retaining wall on the far side is the different approach gradient and that I want to put a ground frame (possibly in a hut) beside the track close to the bridge. I believe Chaz refers to this as the application of 'Rule 1' ;-)

D

Progress has therefore not been that spectacular of late though the odd hour or so of an evening during the last couple of weeks has resulted in my occupation bridge starting to look a little more convincing. This is version three-ish of the embankment sub-structure with which I'm now reasonably happy...

David

Very nice. I like the way you've integrated the embankment. Looking good.

Stephen

:)

Chris your post on my thread must have crossed with my post on yours and both address the same sort of dilemma... I enjoy my modelling but it is just one facet of my life and I'd hate for it to become otherwise.

I haven't painted either the 121 or the most recent additions to my small fleet of wagons yet. I certainly will, but I enjoy allowing myself to get distracted too much – hence tinkering with the bridge over recent weeks.

A garden totally surrounded by countryside also demands attention in some quite unusual ways... if you don't get in there quick in the Spring it's a Summer of very hard work to look forward to! We also work from home so delightful though it is here it's nice to get away. We used to camp but I've reached an age where I appreciate a few creature comforts ...hence the van.

We're off looking at Medieval history this weekend so not a lot of modelling is likely to get done over the next few days... actually, to be precise, none. But I have at least ordered the paint for the 121 :-)

David

Looking forward to seeing how you do the 121.

Surrounded by countryside sounds nice, it's been a funny old day down here today - one of the those days of which we've had a few - when you have an extra long look at who's walking towards you.

Agree re the van, putting up a tent in the gathering gloom with the wind starting to pick up is no fun at all. 

Enjoy your weekend.

Oh, forgot to ask whether you had seen these ? http://www.hondawanderer.com/Class_121.htm

Yes I have thanks Chris, great aren't they... wouldn't have got the destination box positions anywhere near right without em'; nor would I have been alerted to the fact that my kit came with 122 roof ventilators rather than the type which should be on a 121.

All I need now is to find a gallery of similar quality and scope covering un-refurbished units in green with small yellow warning panels and oval buffers – preferably which clearly and unequivocally shows what colour the upholstery would have been when first installed?

...oh look, there goes another flying pig ;-)

D

Archived