'O' gauge ? first tentative steps. Corrugated goods shed part 3: Painting and weathering

David Siddall

Hutber's Law applies - improvement means deterioration.

I'm liking Hutber Chris... if I read his law the other way round then as I get older, crankier and ache...ier I'm actually improving!

Yep... that refurb'd interior really is just one lurid step this side of tasteless isn't it :-/

I shall continue to hope against hope that there's someone out there can 'definitively' confirm what the original upholstery colour was 'as built' – or at least point me in the direction of someone who can?

D

I shall continue to hope against hope that there's someone out there can 'definitively' confirm what the original upholstery colour was 'as built' – or at least point me in the direction of someone who can?

Have you tried contacting BMW ? I am pretty much prepared to guarantee you that there will be someone within that organisation who is paid to respond to questions about their company's ancestral heritage. The Budd Corporation/Pressed Steel Company will have had records and BMW will have them.

Betcha.

Have you tried contacting BMW ? I am pretty much prepared to guarantee you that there will be someone within that organisation who is paid to respond to questions about their company's ancestral heritage. The Budd Corporation/Pressed Steel Company will have had records and BMW will have them.

Betcha.

Hey, thanks Chris – didn't make the Pressed Steel Fisher/Leyland connection initially but a bit of research made it clear. BMW have a 'Classics' division who might know where records are kept – I'll just have to avoid distractions... 2002 turbo, 3.0 CSL, E12 M535... ;-)

D

Well that's one totally out-of-the-blue IT drama hopefully put to bed... amazing how just when you think you've got a little bit put aside to invest in your modelling something inanimate and technical decides to go spectacularly (and expensively) pear shaped! Such was the knock-on effect I didn't manage to get to the Newport Show to see Steve's Fay's 'Cardiff Canton' shed diorama either which I was really looking forward to – bu66rit!

As a consequence there won't any spare to spend on anything to do with modelling for a little while, but it would be nice if the wind would drop one of these weekends whilst this warm weather holds so I could do a bit of spraying! I've actually got everything I need to get on with the next stage of my 121 and my wagon fleet – all I need is a still day or two!

D

Some images of my distinctly 'lo-tech' traverser in response to a question on Cromptonnut's thread...

post-2991-0-23988900-1370877196.jpg

Traverser deck framed up but before the runners were added...PSE timber frames and pre-cut MDF sheets from the local DIY emporium to ensure everything was square.

post-2991-0-56464000-1370877210.jpg

Runners and locks added – can't remember why the rather random bit of card packing's there but it obviously makes something work better ;-)

post-2991-0-89479100-1370877242.jpg

I've only gone for two locks to ensure the deck doesn't flop about if the board has to be moved. Stiction (subtly different from 'friction') aided by the weight of 7-mil stock takes care of track alignment.

post-2991-0-68445800-1370877260.jpg

The traverser exit is tight up to the scenic break.

post-2991-0-69653200-1370877231.jpg

And that's it...

All in all pretty simple but reassuringly effective. Track is Peco  – a slight height mismatch with my hand-made C&L stuff but nothing that a little packing didn't cure. Runners are the heavy-duty variety available from Station Road Baseboards (usual disclaimer)

Uh oh... allowed myself to become distracted this morning (never a good idea) and came across this utterly superb photo of a 46xx Pannier Tank heading up a Maunsell 2P set at Wadebridge in the 1960s...

...and then (foolishly) allowed myself to delve further into the mix of BR(W) and BR(S) motive power and rolling stock that frequented the Wadebridge area at that time!

Aaaaargh... bad idea! Wadebridge in the 1960s (or a similar North Cornwall fictional location inspired by it) is pretty close to my idea of modelling bliss ....but in 7-mil I'd need to be selling body parts to fund even a tiny part of anything like it!

The cause of my anguish: www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/bodmin-to-padstow-incl-bodmin-north-and-wenford-branches.html because in 4mm the idea might not result in penury and divorce!

Even worse we'll be back down in that area in about 6 weeks time... our nearest supermarket will be the Co-op which now occupies part of the 72F site from which the restored station (Betjamen Centre on Southern Way) is just round the corner! I'm not sure I even want to think about Little Petherick Creek...

:-/

• RMweb Premium

Uh oh... allowed myself to become distracted this morning (never a good idea) and came across with this utterly superb photo of a 46xx Pannier Tank heading up a Maunsell 2P set at Wadebridge in the 1960s...

...and then (foolishly) allowed myself to delve further in the mix of BR(W) and BR(S) motive power and rolling stock that frequented the Wadebridge area at that time!

Aaaaargh... bad idea! Wadebridge in the 1960s (or a similar North Cornwall fictional location inspired by it) is pretty close to my idea of modelling bliss ....but in 7-mil I'd need to be selling body parts to fund even a tiny part of anything like it!

The cause of my anguish: www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/bodmin-to-padstow-incl-bodmin-north-and-wenford-branches.html because in 4mm the idea might not result in penury and divorce!

Even worse we'll be back down in that area in about 6 weeks time... our nearest supermarket will be the Co-op which now occupies part of the 72F site from which the restored station (Betjamen Centre on Southern Way) just round the corner! I'm not sure I even want to think about Little Petherick Creek...

Welcome to my world!

Ps, some great photos in that Cornish Railway link.

Uh oh... allowed myself to become distracted this morning (never a good idea) and came across with this utterly superb photo of a 46xx Pannier Tank heading up a Maunsell 2P set at Wadebridge in the 1960s...

...and then (foolishly) allowed myself to delve further in the mix of BR(W) and BR(S) motive power and rolling stock that frequented the Wadebridge area at that time!

The cause of my anguish: www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/bodmin-to-padstow-incl-bodmin-north-and-wenford-branches.html because in 4mm the idea might not result in penury and divorce!

Even worse we'll be back down in that area in about 6 weeks time... our nearest supermarket will be the Co-op which now occupies part of the 72F site from which the restored station (Betjamen Centre on Southern Way) just round the corner! I'm not sure I even want to think about Little Petherick Creek...

I know that Co-op in Wadebridge well. We were down there on holiday at Easter. Wadebridge is a cracking location and v tempting indeed, especially now that the Beattie tanks are readily available in 00.

Welcome to my world! ....some great photos in that Cornish Railway link.

Glad it's not just me... it's a bu66er innit? I know that we'll (eventually) get Dapol's 'affordable' 08 and Kernow have announced a reasonably-priced Beattie and clay wagons in 7-mil, all of which are as blissfully North Cornish as a hand-crimped pasty washed down with a bottle of Doom Bar followed by Roskilly's ice-cream for pudding.

However it all gets a bit too rich for me as we head up the motive power scale... I know I've got a spare kidney but I'm not sure at my age whether it's actually worth enough to swap for a ready-to-run un-rebuilt 7-mil Span-Can and some Bullied stock (or for that matter an r-t-r JLTRT Class 6300 and a couple of Hawksworths)!!

D

Only those with a strong constitution or the sort of shopping credentials I can only dream of should venture to follow this link: http://goldenagemodels.net/SR-Locomotives-West-Country-and-Battle-of-Britain-Classes-O-Gauge.html

• RMweb Premium

Glad it's not just me... it's a bu66er innit? I know that we'll (eventually) get Dapol's 'affordable' 08 and Kernow have announced a reasonably-priced Beattie and clay wagons in 7-mil, all of which are as blissfully North Cornish as a hand-crimped pasty washed down with a bottle of Doom Bar followed by Roskilly's ice-cream for pudding.

However it all gets a bit too rich for me as we head up the motive power scale... I know I've got a spare kidney but I'm not sure at my age whether it's actually worth enough to swap for a ready-to-run un-rebuilt 7-mil Span-Can and some Bullied stock (or for that matter an r-t-r JLTRT Class 6300 and a couple of Hawksworths)!!

D

Only those with a strong constitution or the sort of shopping credentials I can only dream of should venture to follow this link: http://goldenagemodels.net/SR-Locomotives-West-Country-and-Battle-of-Britain-Classes-O-Gauge.html

Couldn't agree move David.

A few things I've learnt since starting my own project are:

1. Per item 0 Gauge is much more expensive than RTR 00 - obviously!

2. My available modelling budget gets me much less in 0 Gauge and therefore I'm much more careful / planned when buying stuff.

3.. There's less available as kits and significantly less as RTR.

4. Some RTR 0 Gauge stuff (no names) is cheap but a bit rough.

5. Some RTR 0 Gauge stuff is to die for and very, very expensive (see your Golden Age link!).

6. The price of RTR 0 Gauge stuff seems to significantly reduce the 'collector' market that appears to be a major part of 00.

7. As a result you either have to:

a. Have lots of time, skill and tools to scratch build exactly what you want at a lower cost.

b. Have lots of time, slightly less skill and fewer tools to kit build what's available at a slightly higher cost.

c. Have no time but the cash to buy RTR or commission others to build what you want. (all gross generalisations!) 

These observations probably explain why, from the outside, 0 Gauge seems to be dominated by well off (cash), retired (time), model engineers (skill and tools) who work in groups (spread the cost/time/skills). Obviously, the opposite end of the spectrum also exists (lone modellers working on a limited budget with limited time) but the casual observer doesn't tend to see these unless you start trawling the 7mm threads on sites like this.

It will be interesting to see how much this changes over time as the likes of Dapol produce 'affordable' RTR motive power and Parkside gradually increase their range of plastic kits. 

Hi Chris,

I don't think RTR Pacifics will ever be affordable, so, we will have to develop the skills to build them from the (relatively) inexpensive kits available. That means an investment in time, tools and starter kits, gradually building up the capability to construct a shed to be proud of. There is no other way, but it can be done, correction, will be done.

Might take a few years but it will be worth it, no ?

David, I think you should give up in 7mm, pass all your stuff over to me and model this in OO instead....

post-13667-0-79180500-1370975675_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Scary to think that I used to buy second-hand Hornby (China) Spamcans for £30-£40 each a few years back when there was a glut. I'd have to sell half the spam fleet to afford one in 7mm! Doesn't half concentrate the mind when contemplating builds and targeting purchases.  :O

No wonder I and many others have gone for layouts with short trains, small locos and limited stock. I'm hoping the fun comes from the operation, greater detail and greater sense of mass rather than a huge stock list. Doesn't stop us dreaming through! 7mm Spam, yummy.

Obviously, the opposite end of the spectrum also exists (lone modellers working on a limited budget with limited time) ...

Got me pegged then matey ;-) a great summary, completely agree.

Scary to think that I used to buy second-hand Hornby (China) Spamcans for £30-£40 each a few years back when there was a glut. I'd have to sell half the spam fleet to afford one in 7mm! Doesn't half concentrate the mind when contemplating builds and targeting purchases.  :O

No wonder I and many others have gone for layouts with short trains, small locos and limited stock. I'm hoping the fun comes from the operation, greater detail and greater sense of mass rather than a huge stock list. Doesn't stop us dreaming through! 7mm Spam, yummy.

And again, absolutely spot on. When I think of my erstwhile collection of 4-mil BBs and WCs (both cans and rebuilds)... hey ho!

David, I think you should give up in 7mm, pass all your stuff over to me and model this in OO instead....

attachicon.gifWC&BigginHill.jpg

Is there an emoticon for 'makes muted whimpering noise'? ;-)

TTFN

I do sympathise really, it's a good job that 'N' is as expensive as it is, otherwise I would probably already have a small roundy roundy or BLT on the go 'somewhere' just whilst the paints drying on the big boys.

7mm is great and I don't regret my decision, but if you like big engines or long trains (and who doesn't) it can feel like a starvation diet sometimes ?

I do sympathise really, it's a good job that 'N' is as expensive as it is, otherwise I would probably already have a small roundy roundy or BLT on the go 'somewhere' just whilst the paints drying on the big boys.

7mm is great and I don't regret my decision, but if you like big engines or long trains (and who doesn't) it can feel like a starvation diet sometimes ?

I plan to build a small-ish 'roundy roundy' N-scale layout (about 2' x 3' or so) to tuck to the side/over the top of the traverser side of my planned O scale layout when not in use, literally to watch the trains go around... there is a truly therapeutic quality to the click-clack of little metal wheels on trackwork in the background. And the Dapol Westerns and '22's look irresistible!

I plan to build a small-ish 'roundy roundy' N-scale layout (about 2' x 3' or so) to tuck to the side/over the top of the traverser side of my planned O scale layout when not in use, literally to watch the trains go around... there is a truly therapeutic quality to the click-clack of little metal wheels on trackwork in the background. And the Dapol Westerns and '22's look irresistible!

I refer to that as "flange therapy".  :jester:

Is this the sort of thing David

attachicon.gifLittleP.jpg

Just 39 more sleeps and we'll be the other side of the estuary... :-)

Now that's interesting, I've also been having similar thoughts... particularly as there's now some really great looking finescale N Gauge flex-track available from Wayne Kinney (www.britishfinescale.com) with turnout kits under development.

I enjoy everything about 7-mil apart from the time it's taking to get something a bit more finished and the cost involved (...basically most of my time goes on earning a very modest living so a bit of conundrum there when it comes to the senior scale). I'm not however proposing to give up my efforts, just thinking of maybe allowing myself to be distracted by something alongside 'Little Shuffling on the Plank' where the satisfaction of completing something on which longer trains and larger locos can run could be achieved over a rather shorter timescale.

Idle thought... N gauge model of Little Petherick Creek Bridge in the caravan on a pitch whose view includes... Little Petherick Creek Bridge! Naw... think I might end up holidaying alone :-/

TTFN

David

• RMweb Gold

You could fit an 0 gauge BLT or oval with a small passing staion in a normal garage with a version of Little Petherick (maybe just two spans) in one of the corners. Could be nice. I am also building a 2mmFS layout which will fit into one of the motorhome lockers. I have it with me on site now.

Don

Archived