Morfa - Hwyl fawr

Neil

• RMweb Premium

There is a bit of an ethical question mark over the GBL products. I don't have a Bachmann C class to make a direct comparison, but looking at photos it would appear that GBL have made a model of a model. There are differences which would tend to rule out a Bachmann model being scanned, but it looks likely that the Bachmann model has been one of the primary reference sources.  It should be noted that there have been far more blatant copies out there from the 'coal' locos obviously moulded from lightly modified Airfix kits, to resin cast bodies which bore suspicious similarities to rtr offerings.

Now does this matter? In one sense no, or at least not in my case. Though I've seen pictures of the Bachmann model, and it looks very nice, at £100(ish) I would never have bought one just for my display case. Bachmann have suffered no loss as a consequence of my purchase. If I suddenly came over all green and wanted an SECR layout and a working C class then I'd go out and buy Bachmann, rather than faff around with a conversion of the GBL loco; there's no future consequential loss in my case. The problematical grey area comes when other modellers do use the GBL models as a  route to a cheap alternative to the Bachmann and Hornby locos which they're 'inspired' by.

However, there have been suggestions elsewhere that one of the major rtr manufacturers isn't above cutting corners on its own research budget by hoovering up photos from the net and not stumping up the moderate reproduction fee requested. Is what we're witnessing a symptom of economic slowdown and belt tightening, or will businesses always seek to cut costs?

• RMweb Gold

There is a bit of an ethical question mark over the GBL products. 

I take the point about the relative difficulty/amount of faffing around to motorise one of these GBL locos, but given that the GBL range appears to pretty much mirror much of the current Bachmann catalogue, I'm still surprised that Bachmann seem to be taking this lying down (or are they?).

• RMweb Premium

I doubt that there's much they can do CK. It doesn't look like GBL have made a direct copy by scanning (or other reproductive copying process), but that the model has been a key part of their reference material. An interesting illustrative parallel would be if I took a Cuneo painting like this, and painted a copy of it, referring mainly to the original painting, clearly and unambiguosly signed it with my name, and flogged it for less than a tenth of the genuine item.

It's not an easy one to call. I imagine that at some stage many will have mended/attempted to mend their own cars. Very often one would be faced with the choice of manufacturers genuine spare or pattern spare. I'd guess that many will have chosen the cheaper pattern item.

There's one last question that I should ask of myself; how would I feel if something similar happened with one of my kits? So far none of my vast range of quality items has attracted the attention of a competitor, but if it did would I manage philosophical detachment or would I be hopping mad and turning purple with rage? If I thought that the kit had been scanned or a mould taken directly I would probably be a bit peeved; if I felt that an 'all someone's own work' copy had been made I'd like to think that I would shrug it off. It's not I'll admit a likely scenario, but the major rtr boys must have developed thickish commercial skins as there are a good number of duplicated models across their ranges.

However, there have been suggestions elsewhere that one of the major rtr manufacturers isn't above cutting corners on its own research budget by hoovering up photos from the net and not stumping up the moderate reproduction fee requested. Is what we're witnessing a symptom of economic slowdown and belt tightening, or will businesses always seek to cut costs?

Remember when Bachmann announced that they were doing a BR cattle wagon? They used a photo of a finished Dapol/Airfix kit.

• RMweb Gold

There's one last question that I should ask of myself; how would I feel if something similar happened with one of my kits? So far none of my vast range of quality items has attracted the attention of a competitor, but if it did would I manage philosophical detachment or would I be hopping mad and turning purple with rage? If I thought that the kit had been scanned or a mould taken directly I would probably be a bit peeved; if I felt that an 'all someone's own work' copy had been made I'd like to think that I would shrug it off. It's not I'll admit a likely scenario

Well, that's exactly what happened to someone known to both me and one of our mutual friends. He had a range of 16mm NG stuff, and was a very talented model maker as well. He is adamant that his stuff was pirated by another 'manufacturer' and marketed by this individual, passing it all off entirely as his own. He became very bitter about it and the experience left such a sour taste in his mouth that he felt that (after a gap of a few years) it simply wasn't worth re-starting model railway kit production again.

Regardless of the legality of that situation, (and regardless of whether some people think he ought to have just shrugged it off), the experience damaged him and the hobby is that much poorer as a result.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I've no doubt that ethics will return, I have a couple of photos showing recent progress on the road which cuts through the landscape ...

post-6793-0-50053300-1422899565_thumb.jpg

.... and of the hardshell which now reaches half way round the Abertafol inlet.

post-6793-0-03605900-1422899583_thumb.jpg

Now just imagine those mountains with a few hundred wind turbines on them .....Seriously though, that some cracking modelling sir.

No worse than the concrete cube with a nuclear reactor inside in the next valley...

• RMweb Premium

No worse than the concrete cube with a nuclear reactor inside in the next valley...

Actually I think the concrete cube is a fantastic piece of architecture. It was the work of Sir Basil Spence who also designed the rebuilt Coventry Cathedral. I understand that as part of the decommissioning process the local residents were given the option of either retaining the building as is or for it to be lowered as far as practically possible. Unfortunately (from my standpoint) they chose the latter. It's a shame, it has all the magnificence of a castle.

Actually I think the concrete cube is a fantastic piece of architecture. It was the work of Sir Basil Spence who also designed the rebuilt Coventry Cathedral. I understand that as part of the decommissioning process the local residents were given the option of either retaining the building as is or for it to be lowered as far as practically possible. Unfortunately (from my standpoint) they chose the latter. It's a shame, it has all the magnificence of a castle.

Which is exactly what it's design (particularly the 'extra lumpy bits' on the roof) was meant to represent! It really is a terrific, imposing design.

How I miss the nuclear flask trains waking me up in the morning!

• RMweb Premium

Got a bit more plastered yesterday.

post-6793-0-88322300-1423411181_thumb.jpg

Because the initial plaster mix ends up a bit rough, I'm part way through the process of brushing on a mix of plaster, pva and acrylic paint. I'm aiming for a consistency with a degree of self leveling but not so runny that it all trickles off downhill.

post-6793-0-43176300-1423411357_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Today I installed a pair of sockets on the hillside overlooking the Abertafol inlet.

post-6793-0-11849700-1424465869_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-41810200-1424465899_thumb.jpg

This allowed me to temporarily plant a pair of John Farmer's (Re 6/6) magnificent trees there.

post-6793-0-48679200-1424466001_thumb.jpg

I have in mind a better location for them, but it allowed me to compose this view; a shot that had been in my mind for several years waiting for construction to catch up with concept.

post-6793-0-30839100-1424466030_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil, a lovely view indeed. Setting up little "milestones" like this and giving yourself time to enjoy them is good strategy for keeping long-term projects going, I think. 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a fallow period, Morfa motivation is bubbling away again but this time I've turned my attentions to the station area. I had the platform surfaces cut out from grey mount board for a couple of years so set about converting 2-D to 3-D.

post-6793-0-36985700-1433270551_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-76721900-1433270656_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-01549100-1433270659_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-05513900-1433270661_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-72708000-1433270662_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-26483300-1433270665_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-36340600-1433270667_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-22302900-1433270669_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-37681000-1433270671_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-61022000-1433270673_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-23204400-1433270700_thumb.jpg

Not wishing to get into a granny and egg sucking situation I'll let the images speak for themselves, though as ever I'm up for pertinent questions. Whilst glue and paint was drying I've also been experimenting with single link couplings for my carriage stock. Though I like three links I dislike the loose coupled movement they impart to passenger (and parcels) trains. Many of the auto couplers have the same amount of back and forth jostling inherent in their design. The single link shown in the following photos has minimal play and a train equipped with them moves pretty much as one. The other important factor is their complete compatibility with three links.

post-6793-0-30212200-1433270705_thumb.jpg

On a 2'radius curve and .....

post-6793-0-78818800-1433270707_thumb.jpg

..... on the straight.

With the body put back on a two coach train pauses at Morfa.

post-6793-0-05449200-1433270710_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-33279500-1433270714_thumb.jpg

Lastly I've had a mini project on the go, centred on Jones Motors. The car of the week has had its price displayed in the windscreen.

post-6793-0-33279500-1433270714_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-18820400-1433270717_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-05381500-1433270719_thumb.jpg

Round the back its fellow Imp doesn't look so happy.

post-6793-0-88612500-1433270720_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-95268900-1433270702_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-04886200-1433270712_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Neil, the single link coupling seems like a good idea, hope you don't mind a 'couple' of questions (sorry!). Do you just use the moulded on hook or have you fitted a metal one? Does it work if propelling, or do you only use in a forward direction?

• RMweb Premium

Neil, the single link coupling seems like a good idea, hope you don't mind a 'couple' of questions (sorry!). Do you just use the moulded on hook or have you fitted a metal one? Does it work if propelling, or do you only use in a forward direction?

Not at all Rich; I've used a metal hook (either Smiths or Romford) and I have to admit that propelling moves sometimes result in the single loop riding up the back edge of the hook and uncoupling. It's all a bit experimental at the moment, once I've ironed the bugs out I intend to make a single loop styled to look more like a screw link coupling and fit to all my passenger and parcels stock.

• RMweb Gold

Not at all Rich; I've used a metal hook (either Smiths or Romford) and I have to admit that propelling moves sometimes result in the single loop riding up the back edge of the hook and uncoupling. It's all a bit experimental at the moment, once I've ironed the bugs out I intend to make a single loop styled to look more like a screw link coupling and fit to all my passenger and parcels stock.

I have seen a single loop used in 0 gauge with a piece of rod fixed across the middle arranged so when propelling the rod pushes against the front of the hook and avoids the uncoupling. I would imagine the issue is to position the rod so it will still couple easily.

Don

Archived