Morfa - Hwyl fawr

Neil

I too am saddened by the news, for me Morfa was a grand project without any of the pretensions. The setting, the landscape, stock and track all said "We don't hurry 'round 'ere." My very best wishes for the move and I look forward to more inspired creations when you're settled again.

Neil,

Also very sad to hear this news. Your layout has already inspired my own thinking. We are moving house to a new build in 4 months time which comes with a double garage - a pre-req that I insisted upon so that I had the space to start a new Cambrian based layout. I will be heavily leaning upon the approach and methods that you have so successfully employed here. I've almost "gone off" the idea of having lots of track and points - I want simple, minimal and to suggest the existence of much more to the minds eye. This has all been down to the influence of your superb layout on this thread. All the very best with your own move.

Regards,

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil,

Like everyone else who has posted, I will be sorry to see the loss of this layout yet I will also look forward to whatever comes next irrespective of whether it is a micro or a room sized essay.  As well as being inspirational, Morfa was good at reminding us all that we don't need to cram every surface with track and buildings to create something wonderful and believable.

Best wishes with the move.

Regards,

Alex.

• 3 months later...

I've just picked up on this. I'm sorry to read of the layout's impending demise. I have found it inspiring over the years, and have spent a lot of time studying the pictures. I particularly like the class 24s, especially the one with the burnt looking grey roof, and keep wondering about doing one for myself (maybe when I get another class 31 it will get a roof like your class 24!)

All the best, and happy Christmas.

Alex

• RMweb Premium

Earlier this week I took out Shell island from it's box to see how it had fared. I'm not sure if it is best described as Morfa's little brother or whether it's Morfa's grandad, but there's some family resemblance going on. Whilst it was out it seemed a shame not to take a photo, so here it is.

post-6793-0-26462100-1450794780_thumb.jpg

Nadolig Llawen

Neil, it is a great shame that you are having to "downsize" your layout but I am quite sure a man of your skills will soon build something else equally as good if a little smaller. Please keep us informed of your progress and if I may advise you, to avoid the interest of certain persons, get rid of the Marina!

The compliments of the season to you and yours.

John.

As they say, AII good things must come to an end, and I must confess to many a happy hour spent in conversation with NeiI and severaI other modeIIers whist musing over the Iatest wagon kit or Iocomotive as it went beIting round Morfa.

Happy days indeed!

• RMweb Gold

As they say, AII good things must come to an end, and I must confess to many a happy hour spent in conversation with NeiI and severaI other modeIIers whist musing over the Iatest wagon kit or Iocomotive as it went beIting round Morfa.

Happy days indeed!

I do so agree! Running rights of the 'Netherhope' pannier tank were granted on several occasions and what a setting to see it trundling around.

Nadolig Llawen Martin

Hello Neil,

Has been a long time. I lost track of Morfa when rmweb, was making many server changes, years back. I am a big fan, mainly because of the weathered 24's. You inspired me to get a 24.

I don't have a layout for it, I do have a 2 story 14ftx2ft x 2 that I can join together. Still looking at what to make. Cambrian themed would be nice.

Anyway great layout.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A local committee must surely be forming soon, meeting at the vicarage, to plan a fete and raffle to raise money to buy a half a mile of trackbed, with the object of re-introducing diesel commuter services between Morfa and a new station on the outskirts of Fairbourne, to be known as 'Fairbourne North'. A steam loco might be added in due course, in this audacious bid to become Wales' latest heritage railway.

Archived