Fort Myers, Florida in the 90's - Its the layouts 30th birthday this year - Freemo South 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Up at 04.30 this morning so got cracking on the JMRI panel for the layout.

The next stage is to connect this touch screen PC to the layout and add the turnout addresses.

I will amend the industries tags to include the full name of each industry aswell. The turnout control will make use of the touch screen to change turnouts . It will also be completely separate from the Freemo Lenz set up.

post-1557-0-11316900-1404195847_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Impressive, my digital control is up and running too :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yours is also more reliable than mine at the moment aswell.

The DAC 20's won't throw two solenoids even with the bigger power pack!!

Might try swapping the SEEP solenoids for two Peco ones to see if that makes any difference otherwis e the pairs of turnouts (3 of them) will be finger operated from underneath this weekend!!

• RMweb Gold

Just a little break from the model, so heres some photos of the real thing taken in the 1990's starting off with an alligator in between naples and Miami. Luckily for us he was on the other bank to us and we were ready to get back in the car if he moved.

post-1557-0-77830200-1404217237_thumb.jpg

Now to the Seminole Gulf Coast raMiways yard in Fort Myers for a few shots of the locos. These days, looking on google maps theres no sign of the locos or much else here except the tracks so not too sure where they now base themselves. The dinner train still runs but not the day time passenger excursions which used old RDC's with the power diverted to run the air conditioning hence the locos at each end.

post-1557-0-84959300-1404217449_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-84284500-1404217474_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-48855300-1404217510_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-57147300-1404217528_thumb.jpg

Of course the layout isn't an acutal model of the prototype but just a representation of the location. However, if I had known that both stations at Fort Myers still existed at the time of building the layout then I would have modelled one of them rather than the building at Orlando!!

Ian

• Like 3

Just a little break from the model, so heres some photos of the real thing taken in the 1990's starting off with an alligator in between naples and Miami. Luckily for us he was on the other bank to us and we were ready to get back in the car if he moved.

attachicon.gifFlorida1993 (4).jpg

Ian

The proof of great minds!  I have spent a couple of hours tidy-ing up a homemade resin casting of Alli

post-6688-0-27156600-1404226709_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

TBH - mine are Jewellery findings, bought through ebay, from USA, and are just about perfectly sized for HO  The one shown was cast in Fibreglass resin, so he is 3.5cm snout to tail-tip or about 10 feet overall - quite big enough to do someone a nasty!

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

TBH - mine are Jewellery findings, bought through ebay, from USA, and are just about perfectly sized for HO  The one shown was cast in Fibreglass resin, so he is 3.5cm snout to tail-tip or about 10 feet overall

A big B****r then but not quite as big as this one!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-alligator-hunters-break-record-for-biggest-beast-ever-caught--three-times-in-a-week-8809474.html

• RMweb Gold

Another session on the layout tonight.

I had the full layout set up out of the garage and assigned the turnout addresses into the JMRI panel but I still can't get the DAC20's to throw a crossover so I have had my thinking cap on tonight (and now can't get to sleep). I am going to take one of the loop sidings out of use for Freemo which means I can disconnect one turnout in tww pairs of crossovers.

The plastics factory will lose one of its sidings (only one needed for this weekend anyway) and transfer the decoder wires ot the other turnout in that crossover into the platform. A few sleepers temporarily glued across the rails will indicate that these tracks are out of use for now.

After this weekend I can then get another DAC20 and split up the pairs of turnouts so that they are individually controlled.

Its probably not a bad thing really and with the remaining spare outputs on this third DAC20 I can probably use them to control other accessories in the future.

Some more reeds were planted in the river bank and the shell of one of the building kits obtained today is now assembled and painted. Windows will go in tomorrow morning then it can be glued in place.

It was quite good to do a little bit of switching on the layout whilst testing the turnouts - first time in about 3 years!!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

After a late night last night I still managed to drag myself out of bed at 5am and to an hours work on the layoit.

More reeds were added to the river bank. Still more yo add though.

Also the first of the new buildings was glazed then glued into position after applying a coat of paint yo the ground around it. The roof steps etc still need a coat of paint then some clutter.

The teo Seminole Gulf locos that will be at Freemo are now on the layout ready for a quick test tonight.

post-1557-0-19766100-1404283135_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-04535900-1404283146_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-91453000-1404283160_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-58768700-1404283169_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

the water hasnt come out quite how I wanted it but the ripple effect was more na accident and as you say does look good.

The Woodland scenincs pour out of a bottle is very easy to use but does take longer to dry than it says on the bottle, probably because I did it quite thick. It has laso shrunk quite a bit so it will get another layer after Freemo just in case it doesnt dry in time.

EDIT - there is another alligator on the layout thats gone for a wander - those two blokes doing a dodgy deal by the limo better have their eyes wathcing out for more than the local Sheriff!!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

I only had an hour and half to work on the layout last night.

However some more green bits appeared on the new board and I managed to get the warehouse assembled and primed.

This morning the walls of this food plant were painted and then attention turned to constructing priming and first coat of white on the corn syrup storage tanks.

I very much doubt that the pipe work for unloading the corn syrup cars will be in place for the weekend though.

This was the scene this morning.

post-1557-0-14334500-1404368796_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-31661900-1404368807_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Last night and this morning I have been mad with the static grass gun.

It's amazing how quickly the bags of grass get used up. There's still plenty more surfaces to add the grass but after an hour this morning I ran out of time.

In some places it looks like I have over done it but once dry tonight a lot of that will come away.

Boards will be boxed up and loaded tonight leaving a list of other tasks to do afterwards such as checking the rolling stock etc.

post-1557-0-58134900-1404455164_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-12964400-1404455186_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-84962000-1404455197_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-42058700-1404455212_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Ian, I've found that after grassing an area if you run the hoover over the whole area with a bit of nylon tight over the nozzle you will get back around 1/3 of what you put down. Give it a good shake through a tea strainer to get rid of any ballast or lumps of Woodland scenic foliage and you can recycle it.

• RMweb Gold

Andrew

I have a Dyson handheld vac so I can clean out the cylinder first then once vacuumed up I can bag it as all the loose ballast should have gone in the last shake down of the boards. Might have the odd bit of Woodland scenics in it though

Only problem is that I just need to remember to use the vacuum tonight!!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We had a great time with Fort Myers at the Freemo Extravaganza this weekend. Nice to be able to use the layout since it's last show some years ago.

Apart from a couple of sticky turnouts which were soon rectified and a few patches of static grass a little too close to the rails it worked well.

There is plenty more to do detailing wise and to install another CML DAC20 turnout decoder.

Also I now need to widen the juice factory boards so that they can be boxed up and at some future time add extra sidings so that it can be used with the rest of the layout.

Here is a shot of the layout set up at Freemo.

post-1557-0-77639000-1404665231_thumb.jpg

However Andy Y s photos on the Fremo post of the Tri Rail train are superb

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73182-freemo-extravaganza/?p=1504445

• Like 5