The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

Strangely why are the curtains not vertical?

(I know it's real because there is plenty on t'web about it, including that photo!)

https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/16585-subsiding-house/

I assume that's here it was linked from?

Serious answer coming up:

Probably because they are the kind with a rod top and bottom, and the curtains are kept in place by friction on the bottom rod.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

In the village of Horning this houses foundations collapsed suddenly.. 

ADE8B7AF-3848-47AA-917E-CE684ED2F0DB.thumb.jpeg.b696290d9ae4e654ba73d0cf3b70d4f1.jpeg

Hi Folks,

I remember back in the 1970's that  there were quite a few houses tilted over at similar angles along Scarisbrick New Road to the east of Southport due to having insufficient foundations.

Whether or not the curtains were plumb I cannot recall.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Serious answer coming up:

Probably because they are the kind with a rod top and bottom, and the curtains are kept in place by friction on the bottom rod.

That's common practice on boats,  and that house is along side a dyke off the river  Bure.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, melmerby said:

Strangely why are the curtains not vertical?

(I know it's real because there is plenty on t'web about it, including that photo!)

https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/16585-subsiding-house/

I assume that's here it was linked from?

I'm on that forum as much as this one,  I personally know people on the site as well, and I spend a lot of time a few hundred yards from the sinking house,  which had some reinforcement done to the non failed side in the last few years. 

I can see the Broads area from my house,  but thankfully I'm not actually in it.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Not a sign, but a sales receipt that I got at an Orlando, FL restaurant:

IMG_20190614_183416.jpg.070dee16177e1a07684d1e00b569dd84.jpg

Actually, the food and service were very good; it must have been as we went back three times.

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Not a sign, but a sales receipt that I got at an Orlando, FL restaurant:

Actually, the food and service were very good; it must have been as we went back three times.

The service you say was good, but was it miraculous? Such things are unsurprising in Florida. Very little is surprising in Florida.

The Village Inn is a big chain, though not quite "national". It's clear what you ordered last Friday.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The service you say was good, but was it miraculous? Such things are unsurprising in Florida. Very little is surprising in Florida.

The Village Inn is a big chain, though not quite "national". It's clear what you ordered last Friday.

The only other Village Inn that I have eaten in was in Farmington, NM; it, too, was very good.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, talisman56 said:

Not necessarily whacky, but I've never seen that paying for parking is optional...

_DSC6582.JPG

In 2015 I was in Bampton, near Tiverton, Devon, and in the local car park there was an Honesty Box for parking, with a recommended 50p contribution. I too found it unusual but civilised, and wished the life could be more like that. Whereas I'd normally look to pay the minimum I could when parking, I felt that this approach should be encouraged so I paid £1.

I took a picture of the sign but after 30 minutes hunting through my photos on my phone, Dropbox uploads and Google Pictures, I cannot find it.

Edited by Damo666
Typos
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

When a door needs an instruction manual (PULL), and the instruction manual is wrong:

2078089631_Doorinstructions.jpg.30d3321535666e0d4a5036dcf8bfd6fc.jpg

(York station buffet yesterday - you had to push to get in)

I like the disembodied legs walking around in there.:jester:

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

The usual ending to this is

1 Tequila

2 Tequilas

3 Tequilas

FLOOR! ;)

Agreed.

And I have the T-Shirt to prove it.

123F.JPG.284b9113f73c78d6f35e2ac9a3fe74e4.JPG

The 'floor' part is supposed to be blurry, but it's a well worn t-shirt.

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

When a door needs an instruction manual (PULL), and the instruction manual is wrong:

2078089631_Doorinstructions.jpg.30d3321535666e0d4a5036dcf8bfd6fc.jpg

(York station buffet yesterday - you had to push to get in)

It appears that there may previously have been "pull" handles at one time. Still the signs should have been changed.

• Agree 3

On 23/06/2019 at 12:46, Damo666 said:

In 2015 I was in Bampton, near Tiverton, Devon, and in the local car park there was an Honesty Box for parking, with a recommended 50p contribution. I too found it unusual but civilised, and wished the life could be more like that. Whereas I'd normally look to pay the minimum I could when parking, I felt that this approach should be encouraged so I paid £1.

I took a picture of the sign but after 30 minutes hunting through my photos on my phone, Dropbox uploads and Google Pictures, I cannot find it.

Several village car parks in east Gloucestershire operate on this principle (Adlestrop and Guiting Power, for instance).  Like you, I tend to be more generous than if the 50p had been demanded!

• Like 4