Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

CO2/O production in photosynthesis is more or less balanced over the daily cycle, so there's no offset there.

Every Year 7 should know the word equation for photosynthesis:

carbon dioxide + water + (energy from sunlight) -> glucose + oxygen

Plants remove carbon from the atmosphere; it constitutes the bulk of their mass. 

There's a story about George Stephenson in later life, entertaining some distinguished London scientist at Tapton House. Taking his visitor out onto the terrace after dinner, they could see a train passing on the North Midland Railway in the distance. Stephenson turned to his guest and asked: "What makes that engine go?" His visitor supposed the explanation would be the braw strength of the Geordie driver, but Stephenson replied: "Sunlight."

With his mining background, he would have been familiar with the occasional find of the fossilised imprint of a leaf in the coal. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

My understanding is that while plants do sequester carbon, their respiration cycle produces oxygen during the day and carbon dioxide during the night.

Back to Year 8 for you!

During the hours of sunlight, photosynthesis:

carbon dioxide + water + energy from sunlight -> glucose + oxygen

All the time, respiration, i.e. releasing the stored energy in the glucose:

glucose + oxygen -> carbon dioxide + water + energy

Of course animals also respire, having consumed the glucose produced by plants.

But the rate of respiration is less than the rate of photosynthesis (both averaged over the daily cycle) - if it wasn't the plant would be dead in no time. In fact the plant is storing more glucose than it uses - just as well as otherwise you would have nothing to eat.

Consider the question: where does all the matter in a tree come from?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

There's a story about George Stephenson in later life, entertaining some distinguished London scientist at Tapton House. Taking his visitor out onto the terrace after dinner, they could see a train passing on the North Midland Railway in the distance. Stephenson turned to his guest and asked: "What makes that engine go?" His visitor supposed the explanation would be the braw strength of the Geordie driver, but Stephenson replied: "Sunlight."

George Stephenson was not only completely true but years ahead of an equally wonderful Richard Feynman explaining how trees are made of sunlight, air and rain, all from the sky, so trees are made of sky!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

My understanding is that while plants do sequester carbon, their respiration cycle produces oxygen during the day and carbon dioxide during the night.

Sort of, but in commercial glasshouses all the Carbon Dioxide is removed by the plants before midday. Which means it has to be replace artificially to get optimum crops. 

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Tim123 said:

7006DFD0-C3EA-43B2-992C-2A4D992B27CB.jpeg

I'm reminded of a charity shop I saw that had in its window an (apparently genuine) childrens' book entitled Words that Rhyme with Duck.

The book was labelled Not for Sale, presumably because its presence was such a draw.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I'm reminded of a charity shop I saw that had in its window an (apparently genuine) childrens' book entitled Words that Rhyme with Duck.

The book was labelled Not for Sale, presumably because its presence was such a draw.

In a charity shop I discovered a dvd entitled The Meat Express, but was disappointed to find that it wasn't about the 3.55 Birkenhead - Smithfield.

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Oh come on, its just the "1066 and all that" effect.....  :scratchhead:

Sorry I was a bit brusque but it's concerning in this day and age when climate change is such a big issue that such misconceptions are held by otherwise well-educated and responsible people such as yourself. I can only hope that the 13-year-olds of today have the carbon cycle so well drummed into them that they will retain the knowledge!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

No matter how well things are drummed into you in preparation for O levels (my dad would have said "School Cert") or the current examination syllabus, unless you use (or teach!) that knowledge frequently, then only fragments remain as the years pass by...

Oh well...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

No matter how well things are drummed into you in preparation for O levels (my dad would have said "School Cert") or the current examination syllabus, unless you use (or teach!) that knowledge frequently, then only fragments remain as the years pass by...

Oh well...

Tell me about it, currently picking up algebra again for an evening class, 20 or so years after learning it :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

16 hours ago, billbedford said:

Sort of, but in commercial glasshouses all the Carbon Dioxide is removed by the plants before midday. Which means it has to be replace artificially to get optimum crops. 

So that's why my home grown stuff isn't as big as the stuff from the shops!  I thought it was down to special fertilisers and pesticides.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

So that's why my home grown stuff isn't as big as the stuff from the shops!  I thought it was down to special fertilisers and pesticides.

My Beefsteak tomatoes grown outdoors using Italian seeds are bigger than those in the shops.

My first one picked was 420g, a couple more are ready to pick, however the forecast grass frost later this week might be a problem. I can't move them as they are grown up a wall. (facing East)

They are grown in large pots using Westland peat free compost and fed with liquid tomato feed, nothing else.

They also taste like a proper tomato unlike those Dutch disasters, which aren't even beefsteak tomatoes although claimed to be!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1