Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

From that era I always had a laugh at the competition between the BBC and ITV, BBC had the flagship Blue Peter, so ITV came along with Magpie, Blue Peter adopted the locomotive of the same name, so Magpie producers thought it essential to have a loco named Magpie and phoned round the preservation organisations to get 44806 given the ficticious name at Haverthwaite.  All very petty.

Jim

See

https://www.therailwayhub.co.uk/6782/seven-for-a-secret-never-to-be-told/

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/01/2022 at 22:41, Ramblin Rich said:

...."Sing something simple" was just the worst; bland, dreary niceness. I forever associate that with the dog end of the weekend and the dread realisation that it was back to school next day. Worst of it is, I've now got the theme 'song' stuck in my brain :rolleyes:

Sorry to disagree but I just loved Sing Something Simple.

You can hear an episode here, but it's not compulsory lol :)

• Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/01/2022 at 23:23, Steamport Southport said:

I don't think I ever heard it. Radio Two was real old time stuff when I was growing up.

Radio 2?  Oh you mean the 'Light Programme', now that's old......
The other one was the 'Home Service', 
and for Pop, 'Radio Luxemburg'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Penlan said:

Radio 2?  Oh you mean the 'Light Programme', now that's old......
The other one was the 'Home Service', 
and for Pop, 'Radio Luxemburg'.

And the Third Programme, for those of an intellectual bent...

Though for those of a historical persuasion, there was the National and Regional programmes before the War.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Sorry to disagree but I just loved Sing Something Simple.

You can hear an episode here, but it's not compulsory lol :)

I remember it well, our house never missed it:(:rolleyes_mini:, my goodness, how simple life was then!!. Not sure some of it has got a lot better apart than SSS ain't on anymore but then I'm now officially classed as "elderly":mad_mini: "grumpy old fart", I believe is the current terminology!!

Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Then along came the pirates.

Oh Gosh yes!  Caroline and or may favourite Laser 558 "where music is never more than a minute away" (which resulted in some very hastily read news bulletins!) When Relax was No1 and banned by the BBC, Laser seemed to be playing it about every third record...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Ah those days of Emperor Rosko, kid Jenson,  Stuart Henry, Tony Prince et al. And heard on an exciting new invention - the small (for those days) battery powered tranny. Tranny had a different meaning in those days - short for transistor radio.  As I recall pop music was so much more important to us kids in those days than it is to youngsters today.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Oh Gosh yes!  Caroline and or may favourite Laser 558 "where music is never more than a minute away" (which resulted in some very hastily read news bulletins!) When Relax was No1 and banned by the BBC, Laser seemed to be playing it about every third record...

Relax was never actually banned as some of the other DJs played it such as John Peel. It's now used on adverts on daytime TV!

Just some numpty named Mike Read* decided not to play it and a few of his mates followed suit. Remember some of those were "a bit dodgy".

Makes you wonder how he knew what the song was about as most people wouldn't have a clue unless it was pointed out to them.....

*Not him off EastEnders and Runaround 

Does this count as a sign.....  :prankster:

spacer.png

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

And that was Sing Something Simple, now followed by Sailing By and The Shipping Forecast.

There was a purpose to 'Sailing By'.  The late Shipping Forecast was the main one of the day, and Sailing By preceded it as a well known tune to assist sailors in tuning their radios in as accuately as possible before the forecast proper started.  I remember a similar and equally bland and dull tune popular on the Light Programme in those days called 'Elizabethan Serenade', and there was no excuse whatsoever for this timesuck.

Good night, and good sailing, gentlemen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Ah those days of Emperor Rosko, kid Jenson,  Stuart Henry, Tony Prince et al. And heard on an exciting new invention - the small (for those days) battery powered tranny. Tranny had a different meaning in those days - short for transistor radio.  As I recall pop music was so much more important to us kids in those days than it is to youngsters today.

Yes,  a while ago a  colleague came in to the office and informed us that his "tranny died on him last night"  I responded "for clarity, you mean your van broke down?" He looked a little confused, especially when a second or two later all the others with dirty minds worked it out and doubled up...

• Funny 2

24 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I remember a similar and equally bland and dull tune popular on the Light Programme in those days called 'Elizabethan Serenade'

"Sailing By" and "Elizabethan Serenade" were both written by Ronald Binge. Who got started by doing all the orchestration for the Mantovani Orchestra.

if you don't like Sing Something Simple, Sailing By and Elizabethan Serenade, you really won't like this either!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Relax was never actually banned as some of the other DJs played it such as John Peel. It's now used on adverts on daytime TV!

Just some numpty named Mike Read* decided not to play it and a few of his mates followed suit. Remember some of those were "a bit dodgy".

Makes you wonder how he knew what the song was about as most people wouldn't have a clue unless it was pointed out to them.....

The cover for Relax almost drags us back on-topic as a Whacky Sign (or a sign of the times)

image.png.61b0e47c8e156f4418c26fee0ec67027.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Titan said:

...snip... "tranny died on him last night"  ...snip...

Tranny has always meant "transmission" to me  as in "dual-quad 426 hemi, 4-speed tranny and a 4-11 rear". But then I used to be somewhat of a motorhead.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

"Sailing By" and "Elizabethan Serenade" were both written by Ronald Binge. Who got started by doing all the orchestration for the Mantovani Orchestra.

if you don't like Sing Something Simple, Sailing By and Elizabethan Serenade, you really won't like this either!!!

Oh lord, the "cascading strings" of Mantovani.  The Andre Rieu of his day, though without the 80s footballer perm and mullet...

• Funny 2