Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, ardbealach said:

Do we believe him?  A wave soldering machine?  Hmmm ---would it not get wet unless the tide was out? (Alisdair PPrGrandRivetter)

How do you solder waves? What flux? What temperature?

Wouldn't they just disperse before you could solder them?😆

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Whilst I was an apprentice at Pye/Philips in the mid 60s, I was for a while working our 2 wave soldering machines. I was told at the time they were pioneering machines at that time. I had 2 managers in charge of me (not together) and each had his own pet way of setting the machines up. A would do it his way, leaving the tweaking of settings to me when I had become accustomed to it. Then when B took over, he set it his way which wasn't as good. Next day A reset it again, only for B to change it again when he came back. Oh the games....I was just the apprentice in the middle.

Later on we got an ultrasonic cleaning bath, which replaced all the scrubbing of pcbs by hand, with meths. I liked that ultrasonic bath, it worked well.

Happy days.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.e9f89cb97670d218787decc5cfeefd85.png

At the beginning of the 19th century, people would tour battlefields with barrels and pliers, wrenching useful teeth from corpses to sell to dental surgeons to make false teeth for the well off.

In Britain, such dentures were called "Waterloo Teeth"...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

23 hours ago, Hroth said:

At the beginning of the 19th century, people would tour battlefields with barrels and pliers, wrenching useful teeth from corpses to sell to dental surgeons to make false teeth for the well off.

In Britain, such dentures were called "Waterloo Teeth"...

Now disputed after recent excavations of graves at Waterloo and all the troops have teeth intact. Also no evidence for them selling bodies for fertiliser.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62148618

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Removal of gold teeth from battle corpses is a recurring feature of the Sven Hassell books which are an alleged account of the adventures of 27th Panzer, an SS penal regiment (serve as cannon fodder or get the death penalty for whatever crime you committed against the Reich).  It is claimed to be common practice by all combatants, a nest egg for such time as hostilities cease, should one be yet counted among the living, and I would be unsurprised if this claim is not factual. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Now disputed after recent excavations of graves at Waterloo and all the troops have teeth intact. Also no evidence for them selling bodies for fertiliser.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62148618

Jason

I didn't particularly specify the battlefield of Waterloo as a source, merely that it inspired a passing colloquial saying that dentures made from human teeth used them. It would have been the biggest battle that would be generally known about in Britain at the time.

Other battlefields were available...

If you want, I could give you a step by step description of how such dentures were made.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

So just say that you don't believe it. Have I correctly interperted your multiple negatives?

Actually, I’ve tripped myself up with my multiple negatives, Colin, and you’ve correctly interpreted what I wrote, but I didn’t mean what I wrote.  My belief is that Hassel (who presented the 27th Panzer stories as dramatised personal eye-witness accounts but was never in the Werhmacht or the SS, and hence must be viewed as at least a little mendacious) is probably correct about the gold teeth. 

I read the series during my teenage years and found them quite believable, and to carry a very effective anti-war message.  Hassel probably compiled the stories from serving German soldiers’ accounts; and as war crimes are described in detail he unsurprisingly does not name these soldiers.  The events described tally with historical dates.

He was very clearly influenced by Remarque’s WW1 classic All Quiet On The Western Front when it came to the principal characters of the series, who rapidly become brutalised by their experiences, understandably, and are primarily desperately fighting for their own survival over any other considerations.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/09/2022 at 23:49, PhilJ W said:

image.png.b3921735e95c50334ce1be50043136c9.png

I have to smile at the fact that as I write this only one person has clicked anything and that is KalKat who has chosen "interesting/thought provoking".  🙂

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, teaky said:

I have to smile at the fact that as I write this only one person has clicked anything and that is KalKat who has chosen "interesting/thought provoking".  🙂

It's a known phenomenon for cats to treat small items of smelly underwear as prey and, in the usual way, bring them home to be presented to their people (whom they see as kittens needing feeding). Google "cat brings home knickers" for multiple examples.

So, not very whacky, just a slow news Wednesday.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It's a known phenomenon for cats to treat small items of smelly underwear as prey and, in the usual way, bring them home to be presented to their people (whom they see as kittens needing feeding). Google "cat brings home knickers" for multiple examples.

So, not very whacky, just a slow news Wednesday.

Did you mean to quote my post, Stephen?  Should it have been PhilJ W's original?  I was merely mentioning my amusement regarding KalKat's interest in PhilJ W's post.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, teaky said:

Did you mean to quote my post, Stephen?  Should it have been PhilJ W's original?  I was merely mentioning my amusement regarding KalKat's interest in PhilJ W's post.

Yes, just following the conversation. The relevant sign is embedded in your post.

As to @KalKat, I presumed your amusement is because his nom-de-web includes the word "cat"...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This one amused me. I can see why people are attracted by the spectacle of F1, the excitement, the engineering that goes into the cars and many other things but it's not something I associate with tree hugging and saving the world by teaching us all about sustainability....

IMG_20220916_093828.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I can see why people are attracted by the spectacle of F1, the excitement, the engineering that goes into the cars and many other things but it's not something I associate with tree hugging and saving the world by teaching us all about sustainability....

The main problem with all circuit racing, F1 in particular, is that even if they are "Racing Towards Sustainability" they'll never get there because they're just going in circles....

I'm still struggling with the "new" emojis as they're completely unintelligable. What would one use for "I'm being completely unserious and this is supposed to be a sarky joke"?  In the old days, I'd have used the "Jester", but I can't see an equivalent in the new set.

Edited by Hroth
All in italics...
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Criticism of motor sport by some of my fellow environmentalists irritates me; it is completely pointless and diverts attention from more serious issues.  Back in about 2010, I read somewhere that it’s annual worldwide fuel consumption equated to 10 seconds of TFL’s use.  The situation has improved since then, with e-cars and buses, but motor sport is not what is causing global warming.  

And I don’t think anyone from a hobby which features so many continuous run roundyround layouts should be criticising F1 for going round in circles…

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Are you taking the p!ss?

:D

Edited by AndrueC
  • Agree 1