Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

image.png.b1e963c779e162b63adb509f7a2caa66.png

That actually says that!

In Mandarin (PinYin): -

JingZhi ODa KeRen

(Although the "O" (3rd character) is written in the "complex" form.)

Jing = Strict

Zhi = Stop

O = Gather together

Da = Beat

Ke = Guest

Ren = People

Kev.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.4b9ca3f0a5c4381a9e120f9c5dcdef03.png

Good to see you back in action Phil, some of this stuff is hilarious.

Thanks............Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Obvious photoshop

image.png.c9cd368d3f24073dd5dfe0fc4081e8cb.png

Pretty poor effort.

Unfortunately the Photoshopper couldn't find the right typeface to add to "GERMS"

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 4

24 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm surprised nobody has posted this.

_129499150_road.jpg.webp

And yes, the Welsh version underneath is also wrong!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65393134

I was going to post it but was distracted by a story of residents in Worcester complaining about Welsh roadworks signs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59176636

Which then turned into a rant about the mis-spelling of Welsh on signage.

Edited by Hroth
link
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm surprised nobody has posted this.

_129499150_road.jpg.webp

And yes, the Welsh version underneath is also wrong!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65393134

Not only is the Welsh version wrong - but it has been for some time, and no-one noticed until they dug up the English one and re-did that incorrectly...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

I was going to post it but was distracted by a story of residents in Worcester complaining about Welsh roadworks signs

It's not as if the signs were only in Welsh. Smacks of xenophobia, I think.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Many years ago when taking my late father to Northampton General Hospital I noticed that some of the Fire Safety Signage was English/Welsh bi-lingual.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

A local Aldi occasionally gets issued with Welsh only signs.  While it IS only 5 miles or so from Wales, as the seagull flies, its more than 20 miles by road and the incidence of pure Welsh speakers there who would benefit from such signage is probably vanishingly small.

As for the roadsigns, using priority Welsh signage in England is just as insensitive as using bad translations is in Wales.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

As for the roadsigns, using priority Welsh signage in England is just as insensitive as using bad translations is in Wales.

No, I don't see that. The use of English-only signs is offensive in Wales, since the English* have long been the imperial power eroding local culture. (The only dual-language signage used by the pre-grouping railways was "No Trespassing" notices, which tells you exactly how Welsh-speakers were viewed.) But quite why the use of dual-language temporary signage should give offence in Worcester, is beyond me. The explanation that it had come from a contractor's depot in Wales seems perfectly reasonable.  

*Well, going back far enough, the Anglo-Normans, who had no temporary road signage.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

No, I don't see that. The use of English-only signs is offensive in Wales, since the English* have long been the imperial power eroding local culture. (The only dual-language signage used by the pre-grouping railways was "No Trespassing" notices, which tells you exactly how Welsh-speakers were viewed.) But quite why the use of dual-language temporary signage should give offence in Worcester, is beyond me. The explanation that it had come from a contractor's depot in Wales seems perfectly reasonable.  

*Well, going back far enough, the Anglo-Normans, who had no temporary road signage.

The default position in most things these days seems to be to visit upon the English, all the insults the English formerly visited on others. 

Personally,  I don't see why I should put up with being "punished" for the acts of people who have been dead for centuries or extant individuals over which I have no influence.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Personally,  I don't see why I should put up with being "punished" for the acts of people who have been dead for centuries or extant individuals over which I have no influence.

Ah, but we inevitably and inescapably benefit from the fruits of empire.

Have you never eaten a curry?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Compound2632 said:

Ah, but you inevitably and inescapably benefit from the fruits of empire.

As do Scots and Welsh nationals whose forebears were just as involved in the running of the British Empire. 

Taken to its logical conclusion, the populations of many (if not most) other European nations should bear similar "collective guilt" for past Imperial activities, going all the way back to Greece under Alexander the Great.

We just happen to be the last in line, did it on a bigger scale, and arguably made better long-term use of our ill-gotten gains, so are the easiest target.

John

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Taken to its logical conclusion, the populations of many (if not most) other European nations should bear similar "collective guilt" for past Imperial activities, going all the way back to Greece under Alexander the Great.

and in some cases as recently as 1945...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, but we inevitably and inescapably benefit from the fruits of empire.

Have you never eaten a curry?

I have, but I've also eaten spaghetti and I don't recall Italy being part of the Raj.....  

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6