Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

You have been very busy Jason, in fact it's pretty good going for a fella that also has a day job. The A class looks the bees knees but it would be remiss of me not to mention the driving wheels....They should not be bevel-rim. It looks like you have BR wheels. The original Gibson wheels on mine were plain rim. The ground signals look rubust, which is what is needed in the six-foot. The Ratio plastic are too fragile.

Edited by coachmann

Hi Jason,

Bit confused by your ground signals. You say the Springside were cast and you went back to MSE but your production line look cast as well admittedly with etched discs. The MSE ones I had (Southern) were all brass etch and look a nightmare to put together.

Are they going to be working?

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

Here's this week's updates, most of them still work in progress.

Much edited

Fifth, what is that in the shot of the 40, opposite the station? Why, it's a smaller, low relief replacement for the Lancashire Sock Co Ltd mill that became surplus to requirement when I moved and no longer had the space for the additional bit on the end of the layout.

I wish it could go all the way across the baseboard but the road cuts diagonally across and this is the limit of what I can fit on. I'll get some better shots when it's moved on a bit.

Updatesaregreat009_zpsebddad48.jpg

OK Jason, where will my mum go now to get my tradtional Xmas present of socks now you have closed the Lancashire Sock Co Ltd :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Hi chaps.

The wheels on the A Class are the ones it came with so I presumed they were correct. I can live with it :)

It might seem like a lot of stuff has been done but most of the tasks are either pretty quick or were done before and after work; the new building hasn't taken that long really, I've built that many now that they fair fly up.

The MSE signals do have cast components but they need drilling out and the brass components need soldering together. The intension is to not have them working but they have been built to allow them to if I ever choose to, e.g the discs rotate and the balance weights do move - I didn't cop out and glue them together :)

As for full etched brass ones, if you will choose to model funny railway companies in Shandyland, you only have yourself to blame :D

Don't worry Clive, the Sock Co is still in one piece, sat on Sofia's desk awaiting placement on one of Shipley MRS's forthcoming layouts (not Clayton though, that will require the real buildings from the location, in their correct places)

Nice work Jason, I thought the new Mill was going to be kept a secret for now!

The Tank loco looks nice, you really are a good loco builder, well done.

Finally, re the 40, I always thought it was the 25's that were the Rats as they were every where from Devon to Scotland.

Cant wait for another visit some time.

All the best mate and regards to Sofia.

Edited by Andrew P

A Class on passenger duties:

AClass006_zps24a45157.jpg

It is now a step closer to completion, with the motor fitted and tested. All that remains now is to loctite the wheels and crankpin locknuts, trim the latter back, wire in the chip and add further weathering. With power to the pickups on the motor, there didn't appear to be any tight spots. Oh, and add crew to keep Bodgit happy :D

AClass011_zps095d6f19.jpg

Now that's proper loco modeling, NOT out of the box, as I do, I was reading it and thinking of a good punch line, something like the Crews gone for a comfort break, and then I read the last line, hahaha

Got me sussed.

I think that B & W suits the layout a treat and it certainly suits the Loco.

All very nice mate, and a credit to you. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mate, love that last shot, is that from the area in by your computer where you were siting?

Weathering looks good, did you do that whilst Sofia was out? and did you use just Air Brush?

Looking good ready for the BIG DAY, and I don't mean the wedding, hahha.

All the best,

Bodgit. :no:

• RMweb Premium

Hi mate,

yep, camera resting on the desk, on top of my coffee mug. The weathering was done first with the airbrush and then with weathering powders

• Like 2

Good morning Jason. I am glad to say that I was led to your thread by a post from AndyP in the portal this morning! I'm a fairly recent member, and due to disability and funding issues, my projected layout hasn't yet left the drawing board. I am slowly learning my way about the RMweb site and must examine more of the links mentioned next to the posts as it is easy to miss out on informative threads like yours. Your obvious skill is an inspiration and I hope to start on the first module as soon as possible. Don't be surprised to see multiple ratings as I trawl back through the pages!!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So are you ready for the "big day" then? You'll no doubt say "no" as your list of 4 gazillion things to do can't possibly have been achieved since I last "played" with Bacup!

I hope the "man from the mag" is as impressed as both myself and Bodge were when we first saw Bacup in the flesh. I'm sure he will be!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Like the Austerity Jason I saw quite a few like that passing through Wellingborough. I saw the comments about the A class and the possibility of an RTR one. I can remeber a time with 0 gague when kits were appearing all the time wahich put a lot of scratchbuilders off starting something.  I think anything preserved is a good candidate for a commercial model.

Don

I do like that 'overall grime' appearance of the dubdee Jason - very much how things really were once they had got properly dirty and far more effective and impressive by patches of dirt or whatever 'here & there'.

Absolutely! Takes me back to the top of the station approach at Woodhouse GC back in the late fifties watching austerities hauling endless trains of ore one way and steel the other. Their "livery" of warm grey/brown dirt always made me think of patient dun-coloured oxen plodding along. Some of the intricate weathering one sees on models is reminiscent of Luftwaffe desert camouflage. And no, I can't "showmemymodels,then", they're still in pristine condition until I screw up the nerve to try to follow Jason's example.

• Like 3