The changing face of Bristol

I understand it was the poor state of one tunnel which caused the long closure of Bridge Valley Road a few years back.

The tunnel is right in the middle of big geological fault and was filled with concrete, and whole cliff and retaining wall was pinned back to prevent the whole lot falling into the River Avon.

Richard

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As part of the 4-tracking of Filton Bank continues, one of the bridge abutments that for the bridge that carried the Clifton Extension Rly over it has been removed. Sorry about lack of photo's, but I don't have much chance to photograph it at 70mph. Whether the other one will be removed, we will have to wait until the possession happens. 

The high concrete footbridge, and former rail over rail bridge abutments are being removed the bank on the DN side will also be built out to support the two relaid tracks.

The current block at Parkway once handed back will deliver platform one at Parkway, and an additional point out of the new platform one on to the down Filton. The Stoke Gifford yard will gain a double slip off what is now the down reception, and extend along the currently disused bed.

Only part of the layout will be delivered once the block is complete, the whole layout including the OOU points to on the Tunnel lines will be commissioned in Nov 18.

One fully commissioned you'll be able to bring a stopper into platform one, a South Wales into platform two and have them depart at the same time, whilst bringing in one onto platform three or four from the tunnel lines.

You'll also be able to bring a IEP out of the "long route" and not platorm three or four with the route called from two down the bank, something you can't be currently.

Edited by Great Western

One fully commissioned you'll be able to bring a stopper into platform one, a South Wales into platform two and have them depart at the same time, whilst bringing in one onto platform three or four from the tunnel lines.

Perhaps most importantly, the platform numbering will finally make sense  :jester:

As part of the 4-tracking of Filton Bank continues, one of the bridge abutments that for the bridge that carried the Clifton Extension Rly over it has been removed. Sorry about lack of photo's, but I don't have much chance to photograph it at 70mph. Whether the other one will be removed, we will have to wait until the possession happens. 

Which side's gone? I spent a lot of time 'revising' on the one on the Montpellier side in the summers of 1975 and 1976.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The high concrete footbridge, and former rail over rail bridge abutments are being removed the bank on the DN side will also be built out to support the two relaid tracks.

The current block at Parkway once handed back will deliver platform one at Parkway, and an additional point out of the new platform one on to the down Filton. The Stoke Gifford yard will gain a double slip off what is now the down reception, and extend along the currently disused bed.

Only part of the layout will be delivered once the block is complete, the whole layout including the OOU points to on the Tunnel lines will be commissioned in Nov 18.

You'll also be able to bring a IEP out of the "long route" and not platorm three or four with the route called from two down the bank, something you can't be currently.

Blimey - somebody actually putting in a sensible layout in the Bristol area.  Maybe some hope yet for Temple Meads after all?

Temple Meads and Bath panels of Bristol Panel move to TVSC in April 2018 under their current layout with no enhancements as far as I can see, only mid platform signals to replace the St Andrews Cross and a Fixed Res at Clifton Down to allow Up platform turn backs, vice the ecs shunt into the tunnel as now are the only visable improvements.

I'd assume the interlocking will be designed to allow the addition of Filton four tracking being phased in over the next 18 months, once that and Parkway improvements come on stream the railway into and around Bristol will be so much better and efficient to operate.

Disappointingly there doesn't appear to be any provision to make the UP Relief between the Portbury branch and West Junction at Temple Meads bi directional to allow proposed Portishead trains to run independently of the mainline, nor provision to make platform two upto passenger standard.

The plan to remodel the East end approach has seemingly been abandon for the time being to.

It's been gone a few weeks now. The replacement isn't due to be finished for about 15 months, going by the closure notices for the footpaths which run underneath it.

I took some photos of the current state of rebuilding between Horfield and Filton Abbey Wood over the weekend; I must remember to post them in this thread at some point.

Edited by ForestPines

Here we are: the area around Horfield and Filton, August Bank Holiday weekend 2017.

Looking north from the site of Horfield station.

post-3065-0-34712400-1504118379_thumb.jpg

Looking south from the same point, with the remains of the Down Main platform visible.

post-3065-0-89865300-1504118782_thumb.jpg

Looking south from the footbridge just south of Filton Abbey Wood.

post-3065-0-33113000-1504119209_thumb.jpg

At Filton Abbey Wood station, the cutting sides are being cut back in order to add a new platform for trains towards the Severn Tunnel.

post-3065-0-91188400-1504119347_thumb.jpg

Looking south from Filton Abbey Wood station: I suspect that footbridge is going to have to come down in order to add in the new platform line.

post-3065-0-14082100-1504119726_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Got held at Narroways this morning, so got the camera out to snap a few once we were moving again. Not the best quality, but they show the prepartions for the new trackbed, the loss of the bridge abutment and the prep work for the new bridge at Stapleton Rd. And a final one which shows how little time you get to grab these shots.

post-15-0-26410100-1504720495_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-35420300-1504720513_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-39486900-1504720532_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-29374100-1504720550_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-99901200-1504720563_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-51881900-1504720584_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-50958100-1504720602_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-07493500-1504720617_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-32588900-1504720635_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Went through LWH on Friday. At the moment they are digging out the spoil, though the efforts on this up the bank appear to be a bit piecemeal. Off now until the 28th, but I have 4 runs through there on my 1st job back. It will interesting to see the progress.

• Like 2

Coincidentally, I was catching the train from Stapleton Road on Saturday.  This is the view northwards from the Down platform at the moment, where the bridge used to be; you can see the M32 bridge in the distance.

post-3065-0-06111000-1509994688_thumb.jpg

Edited by ForestPines
  • Like 2

They appear to be building out an embankment at the north end of the gap, so the new bridge will be shorter than the old one,

It certainly looks that way.  The material was tipped and compacted over several days. I don't know if they will put some kind of wall around it.

At the moment, with most of the local footpaths closed for the bridge rebuild, the best view of the new embankment comes from driving along the M32 from J2 to J3.

I'm surprised you can see it from the M32.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4693615,-2.566889,3a,75y,198.21h,95.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCeEDUi6xB2jqGjKMCzohrw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

All those trees you can see on Streetview have gone in order to rebuild the railway - I'm very surprised I haven't heard of any complaints from local residents! The bridge/embankment construction site goes right up to the motorway, and if you drive past at 8.30 am you will probably have lots of time for a good long look!

In my picture above, to give you some idea, the "Oops" billboard is the far side of the motorway from the construction site.

Edited by ForestPines
  • Like 1

I'm surprised you can see it from the M32.

Oh I don't know. You spend so much time stationary on that road that you could get out and walk to photograph it without any problem. 

I used the M32 and A370 route to get to Nailsea from the M4 for about 30 years, but recently the disaster area has made me go via the M5 and Gordano/Wraxall Hill. 

Oh I don't know. You spend so much time stationary on that road that you could get out and walk to photograph it without any problem. 

It always brings a smile when I cross  the M32 and see everyone stationary.

• Like 2

Progress at Bristol Parkway over the weekend posesssion resulted in the new pointwork off the DN Bristol Parkway Relief onto the DN Filton being installed, but clipped and padlocked until the end the month.

I believe the new Stoke Gifford headshunt has also been laid, with its double slip connection off the hard ladder and DN Stoke Giffford Reception.

Platform One works continue with opening targeted for after the Xmas break, although freight and non passenger working can use it from Monday 26th November all being well.

A position light is being fitted to BL1536 signal in advance of Patchway station to allow access into the IEP depot from Patchway, but this will remain OOU UFN.

Bristol Temple Meads Workstations at TVSC are taking shape with testing ongoing, due to transfer up in Apr 18.

There is another 0020 Saturday to 0450 Monday possession this weekend and next to progress towards the above commissioning target.

Exciting times ahead.

• Informative/Useful 1

The 4 tracking can't come soon enough. 1V58 broke down at Filton Abbey Wood today for 85 minutes, causing chaos by preventing anything running towards Bristol. With 1V59 and a GWR unit at Bristol Parkway also, this left just one operational platform for South Wales traffic and northbound XCs.

At least with the 4 track and presumably some sort of reversible working around the Patchway area, a failure can be worked around and the Cardiff to Bristol TM corridor would remain open.

Of course when it does open something will fail in another operationally challenging location!!